1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Hibbing Animal Shelter travesty....

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by JanS, Jan 29, 2011.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I just heard about this yesterday (ironically from the people who hit Boris), but our local animal shelter is being taken over on Feb. 28 (I think) and they will not accept any of the current animals who are there. This means if they can't be placed in forever homes by that date they will all be euthanized. I've never heard such an outrageous thing in my life and someone else from a North Shore rescue contacted me today inquiring about it. I'm not sure what kind of a shelter won't accept the very animals who are already there for shelter, but I'm just trying to get the word out.

I know not many of you are from this area, but if you have contacts or do know anyone in northern Minnesota, please spread the word.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Damasyn

Damasyn Novitiate

Thats disgusting!! I just cant wrap my mind around it and that they will actually do that!! [​IMG] They shouldnt be taking OVER the shelter then...why no just a disposal area to drop all stray and surrendered dogs then??!!! I mean if they are willing to PTS an entire shelter full of animals now, whats to stop them from doing it to every single animal without the chance of being adopted??!!! [​IMG] No words....stutter...sheesh

• Like Like x 1
  3. FredC

FredC Guest

Sad :( . And to think past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior.. It doesn't sound like the new ones coming in are going to have a much better chance then the ones before them..

• Like Like x 3
  4. JanS

I honestly don't know why it's being taken over since it was very well run and kind to all of the animals before. I do know that it's city owned and in a new building not too far from our house, but all of the costs were covered by grants from different entities.

I really don't totally know the facts on this since I was already reeling about Boris when I first heard about it, but to have a second person ask me really puts the red lights on.

I do know that the people who hit Boris (dog lovers as well) have been spreading the word and quite a few have already been adopted, and they plan to take one themselves, but I still can't grasp the reasoning behind any of it...

• Like Like x 4
  5. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's insane! WTF![​IMG]

And on a somewhat similar note, hubby just walked in and told me he was watching channel 5 news and they were saying how, due to all the foreclosures, all the surrounding shelters (Chicagoland area and Indiana) are over flowing! I told him, we've all been very aware of that!

• Like Like x 3
  6. JanS

Well, they published an article on all of the allegations on it in this mornings paper. The way I see it, they're still dancing around several issues, so I don't know what to take from it...

Council picks new shelter contractor

by Kelly Grinsteinner
    Assistant Editor

Published: Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:05 AM CST
    HIBBING — The decision by the Hibbing City Council to switch contractors for animal impound and management services at the Hibbing Animal Shelter has led to a fire storm of allegations.

Earlier this month, the council heard presentations from both current contractor Hibbing Humane Society and newcomer Range Regional Animal Rescue (RRAR) during a working session.

The following day the council voted 5 to 2 to award the contract to RRAR and commence negotiations on a one-year contract to start March 1.
    The motion was made by Councilor Patty Shafer and seconded by Councilor Darby Sater. The vote was opposed by councilors Frank Bigelow and Jack Lund.

The Hibbing Humane Society has managed the new shelter since February 2009.

Shafer commended both groups on their proposals and presentations, then recommended RRAR. She then asked Tina Olson of RRAR to clarify “rumors” about euthanizing animals following the mandated five-day hold.

Calling it “miscommunication,” Olson said they have no intent of euthanizing adoptable animals.

“We will euthanize dangerous dogs — dogs that are a danger to the public or themselves — or are diseased,” she said. “Our main goal in this is to find good homes for these adoptable animals.”

She went on to say that euthanizing at the shelter “has never and will never happen.”

Councilor Tim Harkonen agreed the presentations were good, but added that the budget figures in the proposals aren’t as low as he’d like them to be.

While there was much discussion on projected costs and savings in each proposal, the council only awarded the bid with the understanding that numbers would be determined as part of the contract.

Since this is a request for professional services, the council is not obligated to take the lowest, responsible bid.

Harkonen alluded to the fundraising efforts promised by the groups, adding he hopes they come to fruition.

“Bottom line — we need to have a properly run shelter that is properly run for the animals that are brought in with all the proper legal aspects involved,” he said. “And we also need to see a reduction in costs. Period.”

Mayor Rick Cannata voiced similar sentiments.

“We’re trying to lower the costs and take the burden off the city with this shelter,” he said. “I hope whoever gets it realizes this is our goal and will do what it can…”

City Administrator Brian Redshaw and City Attorney Dick Sellman are expected to come back to the council with a contract at its Feb. 16 meeting.

•••

Since the vote, the city has asked the Hibbing Humane Society to place or transfer out as many of the animals as possible prior to Feb. 28, the day prior to the transition.

The city has also requested that for those animals that have not been placed by Feb. 28, that the Hibbing Humane Society commit to taking as many as they can responsibly manage into the homes of shelter volunteers until shelter staff can find permanent adoptive homes for them.

Redshaw said Friday that the requests were prompted by costs incurred, the shelter’s capacity and the willingness of the new group to take remaining animals may be limited.

“We have a transition going on here,” he said. “Our agency currently running the shelter will be done on the 28th, so they’ve been paid for all these animals and the new entity would have to eat the costs of what’s left over.

“We’re encouraging them (Hibbing Humane Society) to get the inventory down to a manageable number.”

Redshaw said he’s been in talks with RRAR and that they’ve agreed to accept any animals remaining.

During the course of this, several accusations have been made toward each group stating that the remaining animals will be euthanized.

It’s resulted in what Redshaw called “mass hysteria,” and attributes it to “a lot of misunderstanding and drawing conclusions.”

It’s also led him to stress this:

The city will “not direct or permit Hibbing Humane Society or RRAR to euthanize animals on or after Feb. 28 only because they remained in the building at the end of the day on Feb. 28.”

He goes on to state that “the city realizes that the Hibbing Animal Shelter and RRAR will continually assess the animals in their care, and ensure the health and well being of all the animals on the property.”

Bottom line, said Redshaw, is the decision to euthanize is not a decision by the city.

•••

Susie Douville, vice president of the Hibbing Humane Society, said Friday that they’re doing what they can to place and adopt the animals out as the city requested.

“We’ll try our darndest,” she said.

She was quoted in a TV news story the night prior that she and “staff are worried that the animals, especially the cats, could be euthanized if they can’t get them adopted before the new company takes over.”

By Friday, she was happy to see the city take a stance on the issue.

“That’s all we wanted to hear,” she said. “Now that we know that the animals aren’t going to be put down, we’re happy campers. We’ll go find other things to do.”

To move out the 60-plus cats and dogs, adoption fees have been drastically reduced. Fees are currently $50 for a dog and $10 for a cat.

“We’d really like the people of Hibbing and the surrounding area to take as many animals as they can,” said Douville.

She add that they’ve contacted a couple of animal shelters to take a few, but they can’t take a lot because they don’t have space.

“If the people of Hibbing can get behind us as they have in the past — which we’ve appreciated so deeply — and help us one more time to find these animals homes,” she implored.

Animals currently at the shelter can be viewed online at www.petfinder.com.

Douville said when the time to transfer comes, she and staff will do so “in an orderly manner.”

She also wanted to thank all those who have supported the Hibbing Humane Society and its efforts at the shelter over its many years of existence.

“We are not going away,” she added. “We’ll find other ways to help animals in this town. It may not be housing, but we’ll find different ways and would appreciate continued support.”

Kelly Grinsteinner can be reached at kgrinsteinner@hibbingdailytribune.net. To read this story and comment on it online go to www.hibbingmn.

com.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

I can't believe that, WTH, thats terrible and i agree with all of you, who says they will not do it, to the new ones what are coming in. I hope it was maybe only a trick to get the animals finally adopted, maybe not the best strategie, but hope it was just one.
    Added: Jan 30, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    I just hope all the animals will be safe and someone keeps a eye on it.

• Like Like x 5
  8. JanS

My thoughts exactly Tina. It's unbelievable how they side stepped on this one to make it sound rosy...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dogman

Dogman Novitiate

Only a very small portion of the whole picture is being told here and the media selectively picked and cut their quotes. If you want to know whats really happening go to the shelter and ask for the financial statements. If you do, then you can ask yourself how kennel attendants are making almost 50k a year on YOUR donations. For what one of them made they would have had to worked almost 200 hours a week for what they get paid hourly. This is on the book and in writing, not a rumor, go do your own investigation. The HAS has euthanized more animals this year then any year prior. No animals are being euthanized by RRAC because of this transition. The HAS is just trying to slander and ruin the next groups chance at being successful because their gravy train is over. Please don't pass judgment until you actually get to see what RRAR does. Give them a chance. I have a feeling they will be far more involved in the community then the HAS ever was. I am a former employee/volunteer/board member of the Hibbing Animal Shelter.

• Like Like x 5
  10. JanS

Thanks so much for sharing both sides of this story Dogman. You're right, the media does have a way of selectively picking and choosing what they want to to make it a good story for them. I'll definitely look at this from a new perspective now and give RRAC the benefit of the doubt when they take over so they have a chance to prove themselves.

• Like Like x 5
  11. overtgabby

overtgabby New Member

We took over an animal shelter that had a high kill rate. The previous people were not supposed to take anything . They took everything that wasnt nailed down, except for the sick and biting dogs. They didnt even leave dog food! A year later we have made more improvements on the shelter than they did in 5 years, and all the sick and biting dogs have found homes. It Can be done.. you just need the right people!:)

• Like Like x 6
  12. JanS

I have to say I've been very impressed with the things I've seen in the paper on all of the improvements after the takeover, so I'm glad things are going to be better instead of worse now. :) Sometimes the wool can get pulled over your eyes if the right people have enough clout and it's too bad the media had to blow it so out of proportion.

• Like Like x 4
  13. My Mateese

My Mateese Notable member

The media seems to blow a lot out of proportion, if it is bad
    they seem to make it even far worse, it's like they really like to
    make it worse and run with it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. overtgabby

overtgabby New Member

Unfortunatly, bad news sells more papers than good news :(

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fyrestuff

Fyrestuff Novitiate

This is absolutely not true and anyone that believes this is misinformed!! Visit the shelter and volunteer. The shelter is called RRAR Range Regional Animal Rescue and is an excellent well run facility that will only put down unadoptable dogs. There is no time limit at all. This site needs to investigate before they allow others to make accusations.

16. Fyrestuff

Fyrestuff Novitiate

It was not being run properly at all, poor health and sanitation procedures, and refusing to put down viscous and sick dogs were only a few of the reasons the previous group was booted.

17. JanS

I think I already covered what you just said here. Like I said, the media has a way of blowing things out of proportion and it would also be best if you read through the entire thread before getting defensive.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MyBuddy

The date is creeping up..........did they get the animals all adopted, I hope!?

19. JanS

That was actually a year ago, and it "sounds" like most of them were either fostered or homed, but I don't know if they were all saved. :(

20. MyBuddy

Oops, I didn't realize that! I should read dates more ! lol