Hi opinions please!!

Genta

Notable member
So I had a call in vet today who came to my house. My 7 month dobbie, Noya (on a leash), started barking at him. Not really aggressive barks just bark in general. Then the vet started like commenting on my relationship with my dog. He was saying like oh your bond with your dog is too close. Since Noya was like going up the chair and sitting on my lap. I think it mostly came out of fear because when I am not there he is content on sitting on the floor. Then the person started saying on like did he have any trainer. So of course I said I am. And he kind of talk to me condescendingly like oh do you have license and like what tricks or until which base of obedience did you train him. And THEN he said oh your dog could attack someone. I am kind of offended at this point. I was like nahh he a shy scaredy cat who would back out when he is approached because that it what I observed from Noya. And he was like yeah but someone could trigger him and I’m like nope he is a sweet peach in the park. Yes he is a little protective when we’re home but not outside. Okay that is my rant. If you have any opinion on wheter the doctor is correct and I should improve somethings or if the doctor is going overboard please write them down. Would love to improve the bond between me and my dog. Here is a picture of me snuggling with Noya and forcing him to take a selfie with me

Attachments

• 0FD73039-922A-4042-A134-193C27E3C9A5.jpeg
    0FD73039-922A-4042-A134-193C27E3C9A5.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 29
  • BF235DDC-014B-4D7B-BF09-FB613A1CCAA9.jpeg
    BF235DDC-014B-4D7B-BF09-FB613A1CCAA9.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 27
Wait I forgot that animal doctors are called vet. Don’t mind my illiterate self please

Always good to have obedience training with your Doberman.

I take Ragnar in public ALOT and always get scared looks from people. When I see this, I will sometimes take him through a series of obedience commands to show folks that he is trained and I have control over him.

People really admire and respect dogs that are trained. Their entire demeanor changes.

Not for sure if I answered your post...

So, the vet may have been overboard somewhat with speaking to you condescendingly and telling you how to handle your Doberman. But it does bring up a good point about his obedience- see my above post.

And don’t get all anxious about having to have a special trainer to do it for you.
95% of the obedience training my Ragnar has is from me and I learned everything I know from the Internet- especially here of D-Chat.

Yes, you can try to teach sit, stay, etc....the basic obedience and it can be frustrating because nothing may seem to work. You have to keep working with him over and over. I found that it’s the repetition, the hours, the days of training that finally come around with your pup. Don’t quit, keep working with him.

Although the vet's comments seemed out of line, to me is almost sounds as if he might have been referring to "fear biting".

At 7 months the more you do with your dog the better. Confidence building in many different situations, but without pushing him too hard. He will settle with age and the more you train, the stronger the bond and that brings the levels of trust up. It really pays off to spend as much time training as you can and the rewards are huge when you have a dog that is calm and happy, even when there are other dogs and people around who are not calm! I found that there were stages in the first year, or maybe a little more, when my girl was a bit fearful of things in general but I just calmly carried on and these stages passed.

Don't get too worried about other peoples opinion, just be honest in your own judgement of situations. You know your dog best! :)

@Ddski5 thank you for your kind words. I was honestly a bit affected by the vet. Kind off left me questioning.

Yeah I will try your advice the next time Noya meets new people.

I was showing Cooper in Utility and entered a match. In the Moving Stand exercise, the judge refused to touch Cooper. She "works with vicious dogs and knows what a vicious dog looks like, and wasn't going examine him." Cooper was bashful, not vicious, and never moved a paw, just looked at her. He was a working therapy dog and already had titles where he was touched in the ring by judges. I made sure every competitor I knew heard the story and that judge is now a joke.

Don't let one idiot get you down. They're out there, so ignore them.

And he kind of talk to me condescendingly like oh do you have license and like what tricks or until which base of obedience did you train him. And THEN he said oh your dog could attack someone.
Sounds like he thinks you can’t handle this type of dog. He’s made an assumption about you as an owner and vets are not immune to stereotyping the breed. It’s ok, you will run into people like that. I agree that he’s young and you should keep being a good leader to him. Keep the training going and you both will become a confident team.

Back