1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Hey Guys

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by AngelEyes, Apr 13, 2014.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes New Member

Yea Jan i already emailed them they gave me a list of rescues in Texas but also told me just about all of them are over filled. I havent sent out emails to them yet since im looking into each of them first.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes New Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. gettinggreyer

gettinggreyer Hot Topics Subscriber

Well, To me animals that I CHOOSE to be part of my life, are with me no matter what, until they pass.
    Hope you don't end up in the same situation when you are old.

There is another rescue called Dobie Haven. It's near Corpus Christie...........When we lived down there, we got 2 wonderful
    dobes from them.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

After a lot of thought about your situation and considering the additional info you've given on your dog's age and condition, I've got to say that she would probably be stressed out and miserable for the rest of her life in a new home. Any animal that is unable to quickly flee a scary situation is going to be frightened and stressed out. I remember when I adopted Ladybug and how she would run and hide in the bathroom when things scared her. If she hadn't been able to run, I doubt she ever would have grown comfortable with us. So sorry about your situation and your mom's too :(

• Like Like x 2
  5. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Ok hold up here. Before you do anything let me try to help you.

Which doberman rescues in Texas did you contact?
    Who did you speak to?
    Why are you renaming her? (I won't judge, I deal with this a lot)

I know the presidents of every single rescue in Texas, and I'm on a first name basis with all of them. I would love to at least help you try to work this out before that option is used.

• Like Like x 3
  6. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Rescues hate older dogs. They are hard to adopt, and are a financial burden. We have taken on a lot of 10+ these last couple years, so it does happen.

Normally they come with a commitment to the new adopters to financially support the dog until it dies.

7. AngelEyes

AngelEyes New Member

1 gettinggreyer I did NOT like your comment towards me about hoping i am not in this situation when I am older we are talking about my dog not me and I find that comment towards me kind of rude
    2 CRD I emailed the houston rescue on the list i gave and the doberman rescue of north texas as for who I spoke to not sure I just sent the email out that they had provide and got a response but cant remember the name if there was one
    3 Sadly it is too late my doberman fall on the steps in the backyard and got hurt so animal control came out today and picked her up to put her down for free

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dobie Wan Knobie

Dobie Wan Knobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I am truly sorry for your loss - much peace to you.

9. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm so sorry for your loss.

10. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

11. AngelEyes

AngelEyes New Member

so i am beyond pissed animal control called my mother today wanting to why we surrundered our dog. The ass holes marked my doberman as unwanted and put her in a kennel they did NOT put her to sleep. When i went to reclaim her she was in the area for dogs ready to be adopted im beyond pissed they are lucky i do not sue

12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm so sorry this has all happened. :( Wow how low that they completely lied to you too.

13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes New Member

yea we had to pay $25 to get her back but i wasnt going to let her stay there a lot of areas around here have breed restrictions cause of dog fighting makes me want to cry she could have been adopted out and put in a dog fighting

14. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh I'm glad you were able to get her back. Poor, poor girl. :(

Am I understanding correctly that you are still at the age you have to live with your mom? If so I know that puts you into a difficult position, but if you are of age is there any way you could swing your own place so you could keep her with you?

• Like Like x 2
  15. AngelEyes

AngelEyes New Member

no i dont live with her i live in a 2 bedroom apartment my mother said my grandfather is just going to have to live with it cause she doesnt want to go through this again

• Like Like x 1
  16. AngelEyes

AngelEyes New Member

So to finish giving the story cause i was originally posting from my phone

They called my mother today to verfy that we were giving up our dog cause she was unwanted. My mother basiclly cussed them out cause they are not unwanted they are sick and in pain and need to be put down. Since trinitys fall it takes her longer to get up and sometimes takes her a few tries as well as shes a bit shaky sometimes. They marked trinity as having no visiable signs of illness when I cussed them out and told them without our permission she spent the night in a kennel with a concrete floor in a cage around unknown dogs and with a small hammock bed she cant really even get into. Then they also said that this was standard procedure when an animal is surrundered without medical records. We flat out told them when we picked up our animals that we would have gladly given them the records if they asked we didnt know they needed that to prove they needed to be put to sleep. On top of that my doberman is microchipped so they basiclly did have her records but they did not even bother to check for a micro chipped before trying to adopt her out. I mean heck she was already in the kennels for dogs ready to adopt. They also said that trinity seemed to be doing fine since she got there but im not stupid its the pound they do not watch the dogs the only time they are seen is if a possible adopter walks through or they are being feed and watered or the poop and pee is being cleaned out of their kennel. So now my mother has said that my grandfather is just going to have to deal with my dog till we figure something out. So we are calling around some place to see what we can do and im going to recontact that senior doberman place that helps people financially or helps people find rescues to see if they can help out finacially. So far the places we have called want $200 or up per pet.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sheri

Sheri New Member

Hi, Angel, I hope you don't mind, I just want to share my story about the golden years with my first Dobie. My Honey was well over 13 when she passed and she would have lived much longer but she had a chronic lick granuloma that she would NOT leave alone no matter what my vet and I tried to do. It progressed into a secondary infection and was very painful and I didn't want my baby girl to suffer any more. She had arthritis from hip dysplasia and urinary incontinence and from 11 on I had to carry her up and down stairs or she would fall. She lost her hearing so I had to be careful when I came home from work so that I didn't startle her. I put a Kuranda bed on the patio so she had a comfortable place to lay down while outside and even though it was low to the ground sometimes she couldn't get up from her nap so she's just lay there in her own urine until I could help her up. I felt guilty because I'd be gone all day at work and sometimes I couldn't get friends to come over and check on her, but she didn't seem to mind. She was happy to be alive and she wanted to be outside with her younger brothers and even go for a walk everyday when I got home so who was I to stop her. It was a lot of work to take care of her and sometimes very frustrating that she was mutilating her foot. But I felt fortunate to have the opportunity to repay her for the all the love and joy she gave to me over the years. Like I said, she was my first Dobie and she outlived my second and third both of whom died prematurely. Its always heartbreaking to lose them but here I knew she was declining and I made the most of our remaining time together--constant silly songs, pampering, cuddles and kisses. It made us both very happy. I didn't know this at the time but there are supplements that greatly reduce the pain and stiffness of arthritis--much more effective and cheaper than medications--I recommend Nupro Joint and Immunity Support. Its a powder that I mix with water to make a gravy. I mix it in with their kibble and my dogs inhale it with gusto! It really helps with injuries and arthritis. Anyway, I wish you and your mom peace of mind during your struggle to care for Trinity. I'm sure you will always do whatever you can to keep her feeling safe, comfortable and well-loved, and I'm glad you have your mom to support you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AngelEyes

AngelEyes New Member

Yea trinity has been on supplements she was doing fine for awhile but the supplements stopped working even upping the dose like the vet recommended wasnt helping. Everyone we have spoken to suggest we put her down because of how bad her hips have gotten. Since her fall it takes her 2-3 times to actually get up and very shaky about it. Also a few vets have told us that since at times her feet just go out from under her while shes walking causing her to fall that it might be nerological. So my BF's mom is contacting there Cousin who works for the humane society by us to see if she can help us out. And family situation has gotten worse because of us reclaiming our dog cause the animal control lied to us my grandfather cussed my mother out and refuses to let her move in cause he thinks she lied to him. So once trinity is put down my mother is going to sell off most of her stuff if she can not find a better job within 2 weeks and move to Atlanta. Ill miss the heck out of trinity only think that is sad is the same thing happened to my first doberman that i shared with my mother and sadly we held onto him too long and we now feel bad for doing that and we do not want trinity to go through that so thats why we want to do this now cause we know its only going to get worse.

19. beckers

beckers Hot Topics Subscriber

Couple things I wanted to say on this topic

1. I am not judging because everyone is going thru hard times but I do think it would be better for your sweet girl to actually be with you until the end. I know your family is going thru some hard times but she is family to so I am glad you are looking into taking her suffering away because re homing her is going to be very difficult and they might not treat her as well. She would also think she did something wrong for you to give her away.

2. Have you reached out to the rescues to see if they can help with you putting her to sleep? Sometimes they will take you to their primary vet at a discounted price. You could also reach out to a vet and tell them about your situation they might be able to give you some type of break on the cost..There is also the option to go to a university teaching vet school they normally take some cases and do it for learning experience and also do it for free depending on the situation. I know it is a hard decision but you did choose to get her so it is something we will all have to go thru with our furbabies at some point. I would do anything for my baby so I know you are struggling here and want to do the right thing. I hope some of these options work out for you.

• Like Like x 3
  20. AngelEyes

AngelEyes New Member

Yea I have spoken to some vets I was told the humane society will do it for free so we are going there saturday