1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Help with pulling on leash!

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by aerialview927, Oct 9, 2019.

1. aerialview927

aerialview927 New Member

My dobie (5 month old) is really bad about pulling on a leash. To the point where she’s ripping my arm off everywhere we go and just barreling wherever she wants to go. She just recently the last month or two started getting bad about this. I’ve tried using click n treat, a haltie (which she won’t budge and hates), making her sit and give eye contact during walks, etc. I feel hopeless because she’s 50 pounds and I can barely walk her without stumbling. But she just doesn’t want to listen to anything during walks, everywhere/anything else she is great. I walk her every day and try to work on it but no improvements. What do I do?! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

On your own you could start by using a Prong collar, but learn correct placement (high on neck). If you could find a good obedience class with other puppies her age, that would be great too. A good instructor will help because they can see the unfolding issues before it gets out of control. Lots of free short videos on Leerburg.com on puppy training geared mostly toward high energy working breeds. Their main idea is you have to be more fun than her other surroundings on her walk. There will be more experienced people chime in soon - don't give up!

3. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Also, the very first pinned article under this Training & Behavior section called Leadership is a great read, including all the comments.

4. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

this may riel a few feathers but my 4-month-old freight train puller stopped pulling with this method. I purchased a prong collar. I watched endless videos on placement. when I was sure I had it right we were off for a walk. After two or three corrections no more pulling. I have a flat collar on at all times now when we go for a walk I put on the prong collar along with the flat collar and a leash with to attachments. I only attach the leash to the flat color but he senses the prong collar on and walks like a little gentlemen

• Like Like x 1
  5. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Prong collars are a great tool. The problem is dobies become collar smart and the prong is now a crutch and not a tool. The goal should be to teach the behavior, not become accustomed to a tool. Rumor is 3 years old and has only had a prong on for sizing. She was a serious puller but we worked through it by stopping or changing directions when she started to pull. When she did move forward without pulling, she was rewarded. She learned quickly that if she wants to go, she can't pull.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RaneenJohn

RaneenJohn Novitiate

I’m sure training and not relying on a tool is your best bet, but if you decide to buy a prong collar I just purchased this one. Right now I’m using it on my Rottie and it stopped him from pulling right away. The collar looks less scary and the prongs inside are not very pointy. Herm Sprenger Neck-Tech Collar - Buckle | ActiveDogs.com

7. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

Herm Springer is the gold standard in prong collars, but it must be sized correctly

8. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Training leash pressure. Dog learns to give to leash pressure vs. pull. The dog is reward when there is no pressure on the leash. Must be taught with good timing so the dog understand rewards come for not pulling.

• Like Like x 2