Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Help - Puppy won't eat her normal food

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Gpcoguy, May 19, 2020.

1. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy New Member

A few days ago my puppy stopped eating her food. She acts normally otherwise. I've mixed another food with her regular food and she picks that out and leaves the other. I've been operating on the principle that if she gets hungry enough she'll eat. I put her food down at the usual feeding times and if she doesn't eat it in 10 min. I take it away. I don't want to encourage picky eating habits but at the same time I want her to eat, she looks to thin. Any help would be appreciated

2. Pb57

Pb57 New Member

She's not teething is she?

3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Are you feeding a good 4-5 star rated food? If so, you determine what is the best for your puppy. Sometimes they get picky, especially if you give treats or even human food on occasion. I would cut out all treats and just offer your puppy it’s food at your normal feeding times. If your puppy doesn’t eat it offer it again next time. If they aren’t getting treats between meals they will eat when they are hungry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

What are you feeding?

May be a bad batch of food. I had that happen two times. Ragnar ate a couple of bowls and then would not eat the next feeding, then again.

Check and smelled the food in bag, just smelled rancid. Went and bought another bag and he was fine.

I did wind up switching brands soon after, he didn’t seem to have the want to eat that kind anymore. Did research and found another 4-5star brand.

5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's exactly how we do it. It's possible that the new food just doesn't agree with her.

6. Logan 45

Logan 45 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

If the kibble you are feeding isn’t a 4-5 star rated kibble you might consider a change. Do you know if her stomach is upset ? I periodically give plain yogurt to dogs to aid with good gut health. And sometimes it doesn’t present itself through runny stools I’ve had dogs go off feed and added yogurt to it 3-4 feeding in a row and that was the cure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy New Member

Always put yogurt in her food. Was just a thing I guess because she's eating again.