HELP! Ear posting problems

Scarletlynn

I am a first time dobie owner. The ear posting is a disaster so far. She is 11 weeks old and we’ve been posting for a little over a week. I use backing rod wrapped in duct tape and then in Johnson tape zonas. Put into base of ears and wrap again with tape. I took her to the vet for first posting because the lady owned a dobie, 2 days later the bases completely fell out and she was itching. Then went back and tried using bonding cement and water proof tape to stabilize it more and that didn’t work. Also, she started itching so much she has lost a ton of hair and badly irritated her skin to where it’s slightly bleeding pink. The vet was closed so I just decided to try myself at home and start doing it daily but she is still itching and has made it worse. I just posted last night and today the tape was like oozing yellow wax type stuff (after one day!) I’ve cleaned her ears in between each Post and let dry. PLEASE help me here. I don’t know what to do. Should I use something else? What should I do about her going bald and irritation because I can’t stop posting?

Further, I seemed to have tape them wrong now they are a little sideways and creased (overnight). This isn’t permanent is it? She really hates having it done so it’s a nightmare trying to get everything straight.

Attachments

• E38DB616-4AD6-46F1-8AF3-E01827083CE8.jpeg
    E38DB616-4AD6-46F1-8AF3-E01827083CE8.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 9502CB47-1910-41A8-BFFA-BFC545125F1C.jpeg
    9502CB47-1910-41A8-BFFA-BFC545125F1C.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 55

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I'm sure you'll hear from some experts soon. In the mean time, there are LOTS of threads here on posting and problems posting and itching ears etc. so be reading some of those while waiting for answers for your specific question. Your pup is so cute and there is no disaster happening at this early stage that is permanent, so I think your just fine. I have cats too, love the pic with the kitty behind the glass!

Izzy’s Mom

Jr Member
This group has great advice but I just wanted to let you know I was so nervous about posting that before we got Izzy, I joined a group on Facebook called ‘Doberman Ear Taping Methods “The Original”. It’s all that group is about....advice about posting. I watched the backer rod method video over and over! Did first posting Friday and they are still in and I’m not seeing or smelling anything funky. Sounds like your pup may have an infection and in that case I know they say to get that cleared up before continued posting or you’re just asking for major problems. Good luck!

Ddski5

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I use backing rod wrapped in duct tape and then in Johnson tape zonas. Put into base of ears and wrap again with tape.

Backer rod wrapped in duct tape is correct to firm up the backer rod.

Just to be clear....Are you backtaping the backer rod with Zonas tape? Back tape all the way down, maybe leaving 1/8” of cushion on bottom. That was my initial fault...not back taping all the way down.

Once you twist/push backerrod down into the bell of the ear as deep as you can go- all the while lifting up on the ear, then strips of tape on outside of ear, right?

Once they are firmly in, I HAD to constantly engage mine in play or go for a long walk to distract him from the foreign feeling of backerrrod in his ears. Once he got use to the being in his ears for 24/7, he stopped scratching and worrying about it. If I left them out for any length of time (more than an hour), the battle would begin again because he wasn’t used to them anymore.

In saying that, reason that I can think of that cause a pup to go at his postings are:

1. Improper placement of backerrod- not deep enough
2. Loose backerrod rubbing inside of bell
3. Ear infection
4. Reaction to tape. Zonas tape? Unlikely if you ask me but is possible.
5. Foreign object feeling that must get used to.

Good luck, I hope this helps you.

Keep us updated.

Kaiser2016

Then went back and tried using bonding cement and water proof tape to stabilize it more and that didn’t work. Also, she started itching so much she has lost a ton of hair and badly irritated her skin to where it’s slightly bleeding pink.
I would imagine that anything cement related would be highly problematic for skin.