Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Help deciding on new dobie/ runt or not

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Lisak444, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Lisak444

Lisak444 New Member

I need some help picking my new little girl. I am getting a fawn female and I get to choose between two. They are both healthy and absolutely beautiful. One is the runt and one is regular size. According to the breeder the runt is a little spit fire. I am learning towards the runt but don't want to run into health problems down the road. I am buying her strictly as a pet but plan to train her very well. This is my fifth doberman so I do know what I am getting into.
    This is a HUGE decision. Opinions?

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

As a pet, I've always leaned towards the smaller one. However, most of the time, they catch up to their littermates.
    The smaller ones have to be that way.... otherwise they get pushed around and sometimes don't thrive. I love the "spit fire" girls!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

Our first dobe was the runt, and what a dog she was, amazing. I am on my sixth and the second one we had was one of the larger ones, totally slap happy I called her. We both know there are no guarantees and mine have all been pets. If you want a pet, hold her in your hands on her back. How much does she struggle, does she come up to you, check this out. If you have had five you know what you are doing. Besides our runt Brandy lived 11 years, but was very healthy. She developed cancer which had nothing to do with her being the runt. The best to you and whatever you decide.

4. Brioddy

Brioddy Active Member

Brinks was the runt and he is now a healthy 90.4 lbs. he was less than four when I first got him. I’ve found puppy weights do not dictate adult weights.

5. Logan 45

Logan 45 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

My male was the smallest when he was born and second largest upon pick up and now he weighs 95lbs. I wouldn’t worry about the growth that young just yet.

6. DreamValley

DreamValley Well-Known Member

Which puppy are you bonded more? A runt may become the largest dog in the litter :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I would worry more about health problems getting a fawn rather than whether it is a runt. Size at this age means nothing but a fawn will bring coat challenges and expense as they get older.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

One time I asked Ragnar’s breeder about runts and she showed me multiple pictures of some past litters of puppies with easily identifiable runts. Then she showed me some present pictures of the same runts, they were very close to the same size as the others. She said, that in her experience, the runts tend to catch up in both weight and size. She has been breeding Dobermans since the 70’s.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree that the "runts" often catch up to the rest of the litter so I wouldn't be concerned about it. Are both pups fawn? As stated, that part can be a lot of extra work with the skin and coat problems they can have being dilute.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

As if Dobermans aren’t wild enough, I’d steer clear of the spit fire :spit:

• Funny Funny x 7
  11. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My girl was the runt of 11 pups and trust me she is cheeky, a ball of fire, sweet with an edge and definitely has caught up in size. I like, as @Panama said the runts. They will surprise you!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lisak444

Lisak444 New Member

Thank you all so much for your input. I took into consideration all opinions. I chose a fawn female because I just lost my 12 year old Jagger boy in August and wanted my new pup to be totally opposite of him. None can ever take his place. I really didn't think I would be ready for a new dobie yet but my Willie(9 year old rescue mutt) is so lost and depressed without his sidekick. And I can't remember the last time I had only one dog. I did research fawns and realize the potential skin problems but decided to take the chance. Her sire is a 3 year old fawn and has had no problems yet.
    I had to make this decision by today and by pictures and the breeders description since I live too far away to make an extra trip. I didn't end up choosing the runt when seeing the two females together. I feel for the chubby 4 week old with the huge feet. Lol. Meet Lady Nymeria Isabella! I get to bring her home December 14. I can't wait for the games to begin!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  13. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What a cutie! :congrats:
    I bet you can't wait to bring her home!

• Like Like x 1
  14. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

The countdown begins!.....................:congrats:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kaiser2016