Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Help! Constant whining? I am going crazy

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by aerialview927, Jun 11, 2020.

1. aerialview927

aerialview927 New Member

I should have made this post sooner I feel she is getting out of control by the day. Scarlet turned 1 year old a couple weeks ago, and I thought it was something she would soon out grow. I take her for daily walks around the neighborhood, and twice a week we will hike or run anywhere from 8-12 miles at a state park weather permitting but I also like the exercise as well. But these hikes only wear me out and she won’t even take a nap. I try to be as active as I can with her. We (my boyfriend and I) also have multiple play times a day with her outside or inside with a ball/frisbee. But any time she is not getting exercise or attention, she will whine/whimper constantly, bark, and sometimes when gets really angry about me trying to work or simply watch a tv show, she starts biting at the couch or nipping at me to get my attention. At this point I try either completely ignoring her and not giving it, which doesn’t work and it gets worse, or putting her in a timeout for a while or in her crate. But then she will whine in her crate and start being destructive. She is fed, exercised, loved. When we are out at parks or in public she is very obedient and a good dog. What am I doing wrong? I really need some advice because she demands attention 24/7 or else she gets whiney and somewhat aggressive. I have never seen a dog act like this, but this is my first Doberman. I try to give her a Kong toys or bone to chew or play with but it doesn’t last long and she resorts to still acting out. She will also whine in her crate if I put her in it during the daytime if I need to do something because I am afraid to leave her alone completely yet as she will chase my cats or get into something because she has to pace around the house and refuses to ever sit still or nap. I am unsure what to do. She is perfectly healthy so there is no medical issue going on either.
    Any feedback is appreciated,

Thanks!

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
  2. aerialview927

aerialview927 New Member

I forgot to add that I have also bought her a puzzle for some mental stimulation on top of constantly going over her tricks and commands throughout the day but when she is acting out, she refuses to listen to me or my boyfriend. This mostly is when I am trying to wind down at night and watch television or be on my laptop.

3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I can add some input a bit later here, but in the meantime, check out the recent thread "Preventing Whining."

4. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Yes, what @Oh Little Oji said. If you use the search box and enter whining you will find we discuss this a LOT. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Most of us agree that firm boundaries will make a better Doberman and pure positive (ignoring) will get you no where with this breed. I started saying NO to my puppies whining I think at about 4 months and just about have it under control. At a year old, you really need to Scarlet to understand that no means no. It sounds like you are doing everything right except somewhere down the line she doesn't respect your commands. Dobermans need a firm leader or they will do the leading and demanding. Oh, and welcome to the group and ahem, we LOVE photos!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You have to stop being a sweet mom and start being firm and disciplined. Ignoring the whining and unwanted behaviors will get nowhere and will get worse.

I did not know what @Kaiser2016 was trying to tell me years ago when she said to becareful not to build play and exercise expectation/endurance too much. I fully understand now. I stimulated and exercised Ragnar constantly trying to fill his need and trying to tire him out. It really kinda back fired on me because I facilitated him turning into an all out bull that just wanted to go go go. What I ALSO needed to do was to teach/train him how to calm down and just stop....

I figured that out at about 12-15months old, and really started to lock him down. He did not like it then and still does not now but he fully understands.

I don’t like being the mean old dad but shit....he is a fricking beast and when enough is enough, then it’s time to stop. But then again, I prob created that beast.

You can’t let her rule the roost and dictate to you. If you do then your household is going to be a wreck.

Good luck. Read this forum front to back, you will learn a lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

She sounds like a do-er!

have you try a formal classes like agility, rally, barn hunt, etc.? It sounds like she would love to have a job to do! In these class settings, they are also typically crated in between turns so it's good practice to learn to have a few minutes of down time before more excitement happens. It really helps to teach them to look to to you for guidance and maintain self control.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

That’s so funny because when @GennyB first told me about it, I thought wow there is no way we’re gonna OVER work this dog! And then we did it :spit:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  8. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I have two that are high drive, high energy.
    My male is the whistler, whiner and tantrum thrower. He is very dramatic.

I crossed the fine line between tired and endurance.
    They require a lot of daily exercise and training.
    If Bogie starts whining then it’s time to make him work on his commands.
    I incorporate new things into his training, like making him sit and keep a treat on his nose until I give the release command.
    I make both of them pick up their toys and put into their toy box.
    I will hide items around the house and have him find the items and bring them to me.
    We do the shell game with treats under the cup using 4 cups.
    It takes concentration on his part and he forgets about whining.
    He gets corrected for whining.

We still train everyday so he has structure.
    You have to be firm with this breed or they will try to rule you.
    If you can find a job that she can do that requires both mental and physical work then all the better. you might try short sessions with a flirt pole too.

This breed is notorious for being prone to OCD and whining could easily develop into that behavior so you want to correct it now while you still can.
    My female used to whine but I have managed to curb that behavior, although my birds imitate her whine and drive me nuts!
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 4
  9. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

Everyone above has given some good advice, and I just wanted to say my 2 cents! Although exercise is very important for this breed, relying on exercise alone to "tire them out" will only increase their endurance for the future. A 2km run might've tired them out this time, but next month they may need 4km, etc. Training and giving your dobie a job can really make a big difference!

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Rex_G60

Rex_G60 New Member

i would also recommend you read this book https://amzn.to/3hYzBQw it helped me with other issues i was having.