Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Heavy Duty Dog Toys - What Are Your Favorites?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Caloni, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

Post pics and a link if you have it to your favorite most durable tough toy! I'm hoping to replace our old toys as they are shredded......lost 4 this week alone...lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 3
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I still stand by the good old JW brand. Our Doberman's haven't destroyed a single one of them and the squeakers last forever compared to many they can get out within a day. I've tried several "invincible squeaker toys" in the last week and the squeakers were gone in half a day, so I'm going to stick with JW from now on.

The Cuz is their favorite by far of the JW line.
    Cute with Cuz Oct 19 13.JPG

Cute Cuz May 22 13 sized.jpg

Catching Cuz Dec 09 sized.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  4. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 2
  5. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

The toys I was thinking of getting him are the following:
    1. Kong Squeezz Bone (we have the ball with a SUPER loud squeaker and he hasn't been able to destroy is despite a lot of chewing)
    2. Silver Streak Ball - Had one before and even with a terrier hanging off of it and playing constant tug games it lasted 5 years
    3. Kong Tug and Fetch - Haven't had any experience with this but thought I would try it out. Any one have this?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jazzycan

Jazzycan Notable member

7. Jazzycan

Jazzycan Notable member

BTW Jan, your dogs are absolutely gorgeous!!! wow!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm a big JW fan too. The squeakers really do last a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I actually have a Cuz ball that lost its squeaker! :rolleyes: I can hear it rolling around inside. lol

I should try one of these one day. lol I'm just so skeptical. I just can't imagine a stuffy lasting very long here! And paying a high price for it when that happens is a :groan: moment. I have a lot of stuffies here with no stuffing. lol! They still play with them though.

You actually have a stuffy from this place still in tact?

10. JanS

Thank you!

Our dogs don't like the Kong toys at all so they just sit around. I bought a new one a few weeks ago with an "invincible squeaker" and they had it out of both of them within hours.

11. gettinggreyer

gettinggreyer Hot Topics Subscriber

Basketball/football. A regulation size, professional one.
    My dobe doesn't like the Kong either. Only if the Kong's have a hole and peanut butter is in them will he bite at them.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

I have 2 of these. One round small for the terrier, and one large for the dobie. The small one still looks like new, but in the toy's defense there are many toys available for play, and he doesn't choose that one....when he does it is for fetch, not chewing. My guys much more prefer to chew on bully sticks or Nylabones. The large one is fraying where he continually picks at the seem. They are extremely heavy duty toys, but I fear the large disc will some day soon bite the dust if he keeps picking on the seem. If he were just to chew everywhere else and not there, I would assume that this toy would last a good long time. I would buy one again, but would have to save up. They run around $20.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You know, it's odd but I've never had a dog interested in the Nylabone. :scratch:

14. JanS

• Like Like x 2
  15. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

what about the deer antlers. My guys loos interest in a few days with both Nylabones and antlers, but do pick them up from time to time.....they need more scent.

16. gettinggreyer

gettinggreyer Hot Topics Subscriber

I got a cow femur from Alco. Their called "Smokey Mammoth Bone". There are different sizes. The one I got my boy weighed 8 to 10 pounds. 17 inches long, 15 inches at either end and 7inches in the middle. He loves it and chewed the ends of the bone off and pinches at the bone marrow. It cost $10.10 but then I had a coupon to take $2.80 off. What a deal! It's a winner as it keeps him busy. He hasn't gotten diarrhea from it, like a bone from the butcher.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I have the two KONG toys you pictured and they both lasted less than 15 minutes with my dogs. They were chewed up, spit out and ignored within the first hour after bringing them home.

My two are huge chewers though. We use the elk antlers on a regular basis as Archer can't have bully sticks and they last for a while. The last two I bought were split down the middle and they love to knaw at the inside.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

Spock had a raccoon from there for over a year but he babied it for the first 6+ months. We've had toys from them last several months even with the tough play my guys give them. The only time they've had damage was when River lays down and dedicates to chewing on them (even then all she manages is to remove an extremity, makes them ugly but the body stays intact). We did have a few of theirs pop at the seams within 48 hrs. I sent an email to the company just to let them know that something was potentially something wrong with manufacturing. They are so awesome that, even though I told them not to worry about it, they looked up my address in the system and replaced all broken toys for free.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am also a huge fan of the JW toys except that they are so very loud.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My dogs ruin basketballs and footballs but not the JW balls. Some dobes like more furry things like those new "Skinnies". They look like stuffed animals, but they have no stuffing... just a squeaker. I've had good playtime with those, but they require supervision.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dogmaniac

Dogmaniac Novitiate

I have a power chewer named Grace . . . she can destroy almost anything. I have, however, found a few toys that last.

1. Deer or Elk antler chews. They do get worn down, but they're gentle on the tummy and they last for forever.
    2. Everlasting treat ball - because she loves to chew so much, she'll chew it even without the Everlasting treats
    3. Kong toys filled with kibble, pumpkin, yogurt, canned food, etc and then frozen
    4. Nylabone toys - but she has to be watched closely as she can break pieces off with enough chewing
    5. Planet Dog balls - not their odd-shaped toys, but the balls are VERY durable

For more ideas, click on indestructible dog toys