1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Health Tests for Parents

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Ravenbird, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Since I'm scouting and not in a hurry, and the last dobe I got was back in the 90's when tests were not much of a thing, I want to know: What parentage health tests would you insist on, and what would you consider a nice bonus? What are the ones that any conscious breeder would always have done and on hand. And help me out with the abbreviations or a link to such. For sure OFA, heart and von Will. (too lazy to look up the spelling) - What else would you like or require before even considering a breeder? (The pup I got in 90's with no tests lived to be 11 and was never dysplastic, but did die in her sleep after a normal day, so probably heart, but at 11 years I wouldn't call it a defect. I know there are no guarantees in life, just want to know what I can do to say I've covered my bases.

• Like Like x 2
  2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Access to the pedigree with accurate COD's.
    Health testing is nice and having proof of the results is a benefit, BUT I think seeing the longevity and the COD's is much more telling. There is still so much we don't know about DCM except that testing the parents at 2 years of age really means nothing but they didn't show signs at the time of testing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes on the Longevity of the Pedigree.
    Other testing
    Hips and Elbows OFA
    Thyroid OFA
    Liver function
    Embark or other DNA Testing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

So, the longevity in the pedigree, is just by asking, not searchable? Same with Cause of Death? I had not thought of that but it would be great info to have.

5. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

I've lost a little faith in the Embark testing. A friend had her girl tested. Her vWD came back CARRIER.
    Both parents were tested through VetGen.... both CLEAR... genetically impossible for their offspring to be CARRIER.

• Wow x 3
  6. strykerdobe

Did your friend call Embark and inquire about the test?

7. Panama

They are in the process of trying to get this straightened out. I told her to get up with the breeder and see if she could swab both parents and send them to a lab other then VetGen or Embark (VetNostics or GenSol).

• Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  8. strykerdobe

A good go to person about this is Robin Loreth she is on FB and with the Doberman Diversity Project.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

wow. I wasn't expecting to hear this. More monkeys in the wrench. Could you update when you know if they get it straight, if it was a false carrier result or false clear result? Thanks for this info.

10. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

There is a database, Dobequest.org, that I have referenced BUT I think a breeder needs to request their dogs information be entered. Since I asked to have my Dobe entered into the database, I can pull her full pedigree with each member who's been entered having a clickable link to their entry which includes date and cause of death. Again, this information needs to be requested to be entered by the owner, I believe, so it's only as accurate as what information they prove to the site. It is searchable by kennel/breeder, dogs registered name.

Pedigree.JPG

It's a neat little resource. There are pictures of most of the dogs, too, their measurements, Genotype, health testing information, etc. Of course a breeder should be able to tell you all of this info up-front.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Panama

Any DPCA member can add the information for the owner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Panama

I will pass that along to her. Thank you.

If I find out anything, I will certainly share. One of these labs has obviously made an error.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Panama

Both parents were retested through VetGen and Sire came back Clear, Dam came back as a Carrier... hence a Carrier pup.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Thanks @Panama for the update. So Embark was correct on the pup, and VetGen retest was correct on parents. Wonder if breeders should begin double testing "to be sure"? Gah.

15. Panama

VetGen has always been the "go-to" but test by test and even some of the small bundles they offer get quite pricey. The Embark test is a one $$$ drop for what, 168+ potential issues plus COI all at the same time. So Embark is obviously much more economical.

As for double testing, if a discrepancy were to arise, as in this situation, definitely re-test. What caused the error? There was no explanation.

Regardless of what testing a breeder does, John PQ needs to be able to decipher them and understand them. Health testing is a MAJOR piece of the puzzle, but temperament & structure should never be overlooked.

16. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

I totally agree, and you can't toss the baby out with the bath water, and also no DCM test is proven for "prevention". So, yeah, do all you can and hope for the best. I was just thinking what a cluster it would be for a breeder if they thought they were breeding a carrier to a clear & were actually breeding a carrier to a carrier. But really, I appreciate your diligence in keeping us aware of all the things to do and all the things that can go wrong even when doing our best...

17. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Gosh when I first read the title I thought you meant health testing for us dog parents. :D I guess we do need to be in shape when we get a Doberman pup though. LOL

I don't really have much to add to the advice you've already received though.

• Funny Funny x 3