1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Healing Hearts

Discussion in 'Memorials' started by Tropicalbri's, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yesterday I had to let my old girl Maddie go.
    She came into my life when we needed each other most.
    I lost my Gracie and my heart was ripped from my chest. I couldn’t breathe from the pain. Our home became void of the wonderful energy Gracie gave us.

In depression and desperation I drove to the Animal Shelter just to be around the dogs. My intention wasn’t to adopt that day. I arrived there and it was closed. I found myself crumpled at the shelter gate crying like a baby.
    One of the shelter workers came out and after a brief conversation told me to come inside. I walked in and an old fat beagle came running up to me, her tail wagging and her hilarious beagle baying bark. She grabbed my heart in a space of 5 minutes. She needed me and I needed her. After paperwork and 3 reference calls, I walked out of the shelter with her.
    She was pretty much unadoptable because of age, health and bad habits. She was surrendered and went through multiple foster homes and 2 supposedly forever homes only to be returned.
    She was morbidly obese, had skin issues with almost no hair on her bottom half. It took Maddie about a month to settle in where she felt like this was really her home. She indeed had issues. Food aggressions, not house broken, constantly getting in the garbage and litter boxes. She clawed through screens, peed on rugs. It was a total adjustment for all of us but we made it. Her food aggression we worked on and got it under control, her garbage scavaging never changed, food on the table was NEVER safe, she always managed to get it if we were not looking. I chalked it up to her being a beagle. Lol
    It took a year to get the excess weight off her. She was 45lbs when I got her. Her target weight was 22lbs.
    She had bad knees and stumbled frequently so we got her on a good diet with supplements for her knees and she improved. I tried taking her with me in the truck but she shook so badly I had to stop. I think she thought she was going to be deserted again.
    A year later we got the twins. Omg...Maddie now had a purpose in life. Those twins were her babies and she guarded them with everything she had. She became happy, active, playful like a young puppy. Watching her flourish gave us such joy and she was a great puppy sitter!!
    I hope we gave her a happy life in her golden years, she was 12yrs old when we adopted her. She was going to turn 15 in Sept. but her little body could not handle the ravages of age and diabetes as well as being blind. She filled our home and our hearts and had us thinking outside the box to keep her out of things.
    Maddie my girl, you are deeply missed and loved beyond words. Thank you for saving this old woman’s heart at a time it was needed. C1C09CE4-FD4C-4957-88D0-EA3E3771FF39.jpeg on the way home from the shelter. 5F0AF0AC-27BD-48BD-936B-C50D18EF6DE2.jpeg EBF25DF7-807C-4DAF-8EB8-04267CE0A9F4.jpeg FF810C43-62D3-419B-9488-12AEC88142DE.jpeg 3C7989B4-F0D9-4B90-BE88-FE5756280C64.jpeg Her first week home and taking over the cat bed. 47217B12-C8B7-47BF-B4A3-C437D6C43EC9.jpeg C8B5B570-EE1E-45D2-9986-ACD3D8AF58FF.jpeg 00EA9BB4-9EFD-452E-A6F8-8E6F3A6D9290.jpeg 743C93F6-A398-473A-BA87-D41FBF7BE990.jpeg 9398EA59-2259-4B40-9DAF-8750ED8BA581.jpeg 3B340046-FA46-48E2-BFCE-75170DCA3855.jpeg DD6AC2D3-58D6-48E4-AFD6-A79F611BAE3E.jpeg 72B474BC-F204-4C8C-A4F3-96826D2CA12A.jpeg 646EB4FD-C3B6-428E-88BD-4778F14C3D82.jpeg 8A839FD2-4565-452F-B0B4-53275B8DED3F.jpeg 87D6DF93-72D0-4B22-99E9-BDEA18C35AD1.jpeg C2084724-497F-45EB-BDED-8E6467406E9A.jpeg 54EC8506-F30F-4E34-B903-72C0348B32FD.jpeg 87D6DF93-72D0-4B22-99E9-BDEA18C35AD1.jpeg 74281F65-7188-4711-81EC-06717E0E6E64.jpeg A04C4CBB-09F4-48B4-9BC0-D155C73ECC20.jpeg
    Always with her babies. 69004799-E891-4347-9AB9-293E7E6FE5CC.jpeg Rest In Peace Maddie...until we meet again.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 16
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. DD4MSpock

DD4MSpock Hot Topics Subscriber

So very sorry for your loss, Bri. And sorry for the twins as well. They must be hurting just as much.

:sorrow:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Such sad news... So glad you found each other and you could give her happiness in her last years. Those seniors really tug at your heart strings. Run free, sweet Maddie :sorrow:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Such a beautiful story! Has me in tears. :( What a welcome addition she was to help mend a Broken Heart! You gave her a wonderful Life in Her golden years! And she found a purpose. What a wonderful connection. :love::love:

RIP Maddie :sorrow: Run Free!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us. Seniors can have a lot to give in their short time. I can't even imagine giving up on my senior dogs and placing them in a shelter.

Rest easy sweet Maddie. You can do all your beagle antics that you so desire in heaven! :sorrow:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

They say you don’t choose a dog, the dog chooses you. Never was a truer word spoken when it came to Maddie. To home a rescue, like Maddie was a wonderous thing. It enriched your life and utterly transformed hers. She was your rock and your healer after the loss of sweet Gracie. She will never be forgotten and will always be truly loved and cherished.

It’s been a real privilege knowing Maddie. Rest easy sweetheart :sorrow:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

I'm so very sorry - you gave her the best senior years ever. And thank you for sharing all the photos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DD4MSpock

DD4MSpock Hot Topics Subscriber

You can be proud of one thing, Bri. You gave Maddie a home at a time in her life when it was desperately needed. You gave her the best thing you possibly could give... a loving, comfortable home in which to spend her final years. She did not perish in a shelter somewhere. She had companionship from both you and the twins. The pictures make that very clear. It may have been too short a stay, but it was all quality and that's what matters.

We should all be so lucky in our final years. :thumbsup2:

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Bri what a beautiful story and you two were clearly meant for each other when you both needed it the most. Thank God for the angel who saw you out there and let you in so you had the opportunity to bring her into your home and give her the great senior years she deserved.

I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm here to talk any time. Run free sweet Maddie. :sorrow:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. blacknrust

blacknrust Notable member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Maddie was a beautiful girl and you were meant to be together. You rescued each other from sadness and turned it into a wonderful life for you both.
    My prayers are with you, your family and the twins:sorrow:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Prushanks

Prushanks Hot Topics Subscriber

My dear friend, I am heartbroken for you. Sweet Maddie was the luckiest little girl in this whole damn world to be given such a wonderful, loving home.. especially later in life. You are a one in a billion, Bri - truly. The size of your heart and love that you shower those lucky enough to be in your life is endless.
    I am here for you always, sending you big hugs and all my love. ❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Run Free Maddie-girl.. thank you for helping your Mom heal and raise those two Red rascals.

• Like Like x 1
  12. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

So very very sorry Bri. At that moment you two met it was instant happiness. Maddie would have never had a life with someone else that you gave her. She had the best home.
    I'm sure Maddie will never forget you and will always be near you.

13. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

What a great heart warming story. Thank you for sharing.

Yes it hurts and will hurt for a long time but with that are the great loving memories that you had with her.

Take care Bri.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oh my goodness! What a cute, sweet doggie! I love how she tolerated your young Dobe's Elizabethan collar laying on her, then proceeded to let them lay on her as they got bigger and bigger and bigger.

May she rest in peace, and may peace and happiness return to your home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tropicalbri's

Thank you all for your kind words. It helps in knowing I made the right decision to let her go with her dignity and no longer suffering. Bacall seems to be affected the most since she was always Maddie’s guide while walking around outside and indoors. It was heartwarming to watch Bacall helping Maddie.
    Maddie sure loved her puppies, even when they got so big she could walk under them.
    I miss her.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 7
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

So sorry to hear about little Maddie. I love how she took care of the twins, it is so endearing to see her capacity to love puppies. She was certainly a sweet soul who finally lucked out with you. May she rest in peace.

17. Tropicalbri's

Maddie was definitely a doggy dog. She preferred other dogs over people. Lol

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  18. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful story. I’m crying an ugly cry.

Rest In Peace sweet Maddie.

19. meriberi_00

meriberi_00 Jr Member

I’m so sorry for your loss! She looks like she was loved a lot! Glad you were able to give her a loving home the last few years of her life...it sure looks like she enjoyed them!

20. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

So sorry for your loss. She lived a great life thanks to you and your family. Run free Maddie.