Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Michigan Happening Now 1-9-15

Discussion in 'United States Regional Forum' started by FredC, Jan 9, 2015.

1. FredC

FredC Guest

http://www.wwmt.com/news/features/t...rash-in-Kalamazoo-Co-67946.shtml#.VLAlVCvF-So

KALAMAZOO COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Police have shut down both directions of I-94 in Kalamazoo County after a fatal pile-up involving semis.

The crash is between Mile Marker 90 and 92. Both directions have been shut down. The freeway is closed between Mile Markers 85 (Galesburg exit) and 92 (M-37/Mercury Drive).

At least one person lost their life in the crashes according to an officer. There are many people who were injured.

There were multiple semis and passenger vehicles, up to 90, involved. Michigan State Police say that about 70 vehicles were involved in the westbound lanes and 20 in the eastbound. There were an estimated 50 semis included in that number.

One of the semis was hauling 40,000 pounds of fireworks. The fireworks were launching on the scene. Another truck that was on fire was hauling hazardous material.

"Right in front of me the trucks started to go crazy. You couldn't see a single thing at the time of all the accidents. I was able to pull off and just watch semi after semi and semi and semi hit each other and cars hit each other. I mean people were going full speed ahead," said Micah Stanislowski, who was involved in the crash.

"I'm getting debris from the fire on my car. I can see the fire now from here. There's fireworks going off," said Heather Jackson, who was involved in the pile-up. "As I approached I realized that all the cars were stopped in front of me. I seen some in the ditch and I seen cars behind me coming at me at regular speed and I knew if I didn't go into the ditch I was going to be hit."

"He said they're not going to be able to put out the fire. The fire is just going to have to continue until it's done," said Jackson after speaking with police.

Police had people on scene get out of their cars and move as far back as possible. They brought in buses to transport them from the scene to Galesburg Primary School.

At least six people with injuries were taken to Borgess Hospital. One is in serious condition.

Authorities say that the freeway will be shut down until early Saturday morning.

Police ealier ordered a 3-mile evacuation radius around the crash because of burning hazardous materials on the scene. The center of the evacuation area was I-94 at the 90 Mile Marker near the border of Kalamazoo and Calhoun Counties. Later, authorities said that they believed the hazardous materials had burned off. They told anyone who lives within a one-mile radius of the crash to shelter in place. That order has since been lifted.

The burning vehicles were extinguished by 1:45pm.

Avoid the area if you are headed that way.

Authorities are asking everyone to stay off the roads today because of the conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Saw the fireworks starting 1:25 into the video. That's some pileup!

I was reading the local newsfeed as my wife was leaving for work at 5:45 this morning and saw an accident with several fatalities at an exit because of snow flurries. I told her I'm glad she didn't have to go through that. Then I saw a few minutes later that a van plowed into the back of a semi stopped for the accident and burned to a crisp, again no survivors in the van. It's a bad morning.

3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I heard about this early this morning. My son is an OTR trucker. Where is he now? You guessed it...Minnesota. I have not been able to get in touch with yet today. I'm about to have a stroke, I'm so worried.

4. GennyB

Minnesota? Where did that come from? I meant Michigan.

5. FredC

FredC Guest

Oh no! :blush: Any word yet!

6. GennyB

Yes! He finally called about 10:00 last night. He was not in the accident, just caught up in the traffic of it all. He took the opportunity to catch up on his sleep. We had the "Mom, I'm a grown man/you'll always be my baby" conversation.

Something tells me he will call me before he turns off his phone for a nap next time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

How horrible. Praying for all the families impacted by this terrible tragedy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm glad he was ok!! I can't remember if your boy has any children? After our son had his first child (a boy) I had sent him a sentimental birthday card that said something to the effect, that "I was always hold you in my heart" (no matter how old). I got all choked up when he texted me.....

"Thanks for card, Mom. I so get that now." :love::love:

• Like Like x 2
  9. GennyB

Nope, no kids.... yet. But I will say he is surprisingly mature so he did apologize for his thoughtlessness and like I said I'm sure he will call next time.

Must have been a proud moment for you when you go that text. I know it always is for me when I realize that one of my kids has successfully reached that next level of maturity. Means they are becoming independent, productive members of society. It means you did your job well because that is what mom are supposed to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow I'm just catching this but I'm so glad your son is okay Genny. I'd be worried sick too. I don't care how much they're grown up, we can't help but worry if they're in the area of something like that and you don't hear from them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GennyB

Yep, and nothing a quick phone call won't cure. I think/hope he understands that now.