1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Hair, skin, and nail care

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Dnetmd, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Dnetmd

Dnetmd $ Premium Subscriber $

I have a confession to make. Rhea is 21 weeks old now and I have never given her a real bath. Once a week I wipe her down with natural baby wipes and just rinse off any mud with the hose.

Her coat looks healthy and shiny to me but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep her hair soft and smooth. Her coat is soft everywhere except for her back. It is getting a bristly texture. Is it time to bathe with a conditioner? Can supplements smooth the hair or just make it shinier? I really don't want to use oil directly on her coat because she is a spoiled house dog that lounges on furniture in the house. I was also wondering what is the best moisturizer to use on her nails and her nose.

During the last month I did a slow transition from her original food, Purina Pro Plan Puppy, to Diamond Naturals All Stages to see if it would help her coat but the only difference I've noticed is an increase in gas. I'm going to give her 2 or 3 more months on it and more time to see results. Other than the dryness she seems pretty healthy. I'd like to put a bit more weight on her now that she is getting taller. Does she look like a healthy weight for a 5 month old growing and teething doberman pup? If the gas continues I may try the Victor food that I read about on here recently. Until then, any recommendations on conditioners and/or supplement to make her soft and smooth as possible? The only supplement to her food I give her is Ester C in her breakfast and occasionally a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt.

Pics to help with suggestions! As always, much appreciated.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. C908

C908 Member

Your dog looks great ! Her coat looks really good in the pictures. I can't speak for anyone else but for our boy we do Omega 3 supplement with his supper. An occasional bath is good or doing a wipe down between baths is fine. We use a little natural coconut oil for his coat. The shampoo we like is JP Pet, a Paul Mitchell product. One of the more popular dry foods is Fromm. One thing to be aware of is Diamond products have had a lot of recalls. You will be fine, enjoy your dog. If you do a search on the forum many of your questions will be answered.

3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

She is probably getting some adult hair on her back. It’s more coarse than their baby coat.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

As a puppy we gave our guy a bath, just to introduce him to the idea, and then only as needed when he was really dirty after. We feed Fromm as a puppy and added coconut oil to his food as well as krill oil supplements. We are working on the slow switch, 2 full weeks in, from fromm to victor ocean fish. So far his poops are more solid, still no dry skin (he didn't have a dry skin problem on fromm either), we are smelling less gas :rofl: and he seems to be doing well. I agree that our guy actually got that more thick, coarse like hair just on the top of his back towards his rear as he got older and lost his baby coat.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dnetmd

She has never smelled bad or been overly dirty where a quick rinse wouldn’t do the trick. Now that it’s getting warm out I plan will get her accustomed to having a hose bath outside. Then in colder months she can have a shower inside. I’ll check out the pet store for some conditioning washes I suppose. Thank you for the recommendations so far.

I do miss her puppy softness. Will coconut oil and krill oil help make her coat as soft as it can be and do I need to moisturize her nose and nails? Just want her looking her best. :)

6. Dnetmd

Oh! And thanks for the warning about Diamond recalls. It seemed like a good affordable option that I could buy local. Does anyone have any experience with ordering Victor from Amazon vs Chewy?

7. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

I'm sure if they keep it as soft as they do shiny, but I know we don't struggle with dry skin. We just hit the 11 month mark so we have noticed the coarser hair on the back, but the rest is still soft.

We put bag balm on our guys paw pads some nights if they seem to be looking dry. I have seen where people people it on the dogs nose as well if its dry. Our guys nose dont seem to get dry so we leave it be. We find ourselves using the mushers secret for the winters in maine and that helps moisture their pads too! The dry pads, not only scratch us when they scrape across you but they can run the risk of cracking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

I generally leave my dogs coats alone unless they found some stinky treasure to roll around in. They produce natural oils that keeps their coats in good condition and bathing can strip them of that. They get a bath about once a year typically, and when I do I use dawn dish soap. Mane & tail is also good.

I do regularly brush them, especially my German Shedder LOL even if they aren’t dirty or shedding excessively because it promotes blood circulation and they like it. I also trim their nails depending on growth every week or two but don’t moisturize them. Coconut oil or bag balm is great for dry pads though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ragnar is the same. I really do not bathe him unless he gets stinky.

Wet wipes if needed. Be it South Louisiana, it is HOT down here so what I usually do is spray him down good with the water hose weekly.

I never was too much for brushing his coat but my wife has been doing it daily with him. Have to say this is the trick for that shiny coat, what a difference daily brushing makes!!

10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Adult hair makes sense. Indeed it’s a bit coarser along the spine but the rest is pretty smooth and soft feeling. I remember when he “blew” his baby coat and the fur was everywhere!

We use Mushers on paws.

Baby wipes are the best! A daily brushing goes a long way to control shedding and keeping them shiny. We use krill oil supplements.

We used to bathe him at least once a month, then once a quarter, now it really depends on what’s he’s been up to. If I pet him and it leaves too much residue for my liking, he’ll get a bath. He went through a musky phase too, but I don’t know if it was just a boy thing.

11. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I think her coat looks nice from your photos. My pup was getting coarse hairs mainly on his back and bum around that age also. Its sad when their adult coat comes in.

To keep him lookin good I: brush him daily with a soft brush, give coconut oil every other day, sardines in water once a week, mushers secret once a week after I cut his nails, and “Organic Snout Soother” once a week. During the rainy season my pup was getting a bath twice a month with a gentle shampoo and he has never had an issue of dry skin.

Reading that routine makes me think I may be spoiling him more than myself XD but he looks shiny to me.

12. C908

C908 Member

Our breeder told us about Petflow.com, they have been great to deal with.

13. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

This was a photo I took of our guy earlier. You can see along the spine he has the coarser hair. He is honestly doing so well on his new victor ocean food! But I'll admit he hasn't had a bath in about a month, since he decided to sprint in the mud. He gets krill oil and sometimes coconut oil.

The light hitting him just right helps too! IMG_20190603_194222_936.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's a good thing and totally normal. The adult coat is supposed to be hard per the standard.
    I do bathe my dogs at least once a week using this shampoo. Dogosuds Unscented 8 oz.
    and a zoom groom. I also brush them daily with the zoom groom to help keep oil glands stimulated and their coats nice and glossy. It also gets rids of any hair so it's not falling out all over my house. I also add a little coconut oil to some water in a spray bottle and use it before brushing. They also get coconut oil and krill oil as a topper on their food.
    As far as nails, the best thing you can do is keep them short. I use a dremel with a diamond bit that makes quick work of it.
    I make my own paw wax, you can see how here Natural homemade paw wax recipe

• Like Like x 3
  15. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I agree with the information you've been given. Usually if Rubie gets muddy or sandy, I can wait until she's dry and just brush it out or hose off if needed. IF I use soap, it's this Ewegurt stuff; it rinses really clean without any residue which I really like. She does get drier skin and rougher paws in the winter but I give them a slick of vaseline when I do nails (still every 5 days or so). Rubie, who is red, has pretty coarse hair but it's shiny and healthy so I don't fuss over it too much.

We have a bottle of Vetericyn on-hand too for any scrapes, cuts, dings, etc. Most of her coat maintenance is making sure she isn't liking a tiny scratch raw and bald :facepalm: