Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Had someone make a negative comment about cropped ears.

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by C908, Nov 29, 2019.

1. C908

C908 Member

I walk Preacher at the State Fairgrounds everyday. There is a homeless woman that lives on the campground with her son. Since I have seen her living there since last summer I became intrigued wondering what her story was. We finally talked and I found out she lives there with her 24 year old son, 2 dogs and 6 cats. They were living in a tent but then got an old camper when the weather turned cold. Her son works at a factory so he pays for everything. She told me she loves animals and because she has so many nobody will rent them a house. She also said she hates anybody that is mean to animals. Our conversation was going pretty good and then she says your dog has really pretty ears but oh the pain and suffering he had to go through. I think this lady has some issues because she mentioned quitting her factory job because she would have killed somebody if she stayed. She also talked about taking medications for anxiety and depression. I think I will keep my distance from her.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

I think it was kind of you to chat with her a bit, so many homeless have issues, mostly mental, but also most are harmless. I too would probably keep my distance, but I just wanted to say you are kinder than most to at least make some conversation with her. And many, homeless or wealthy, say the same "tisk-tisk"s about the cruelty of ear trims.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Skatchkeb

Skatchkeb Jr Member

Shouldve thrown her a fiver and a smoke

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Jr Member

I just had my first "negative" comment about Remi's cropped ears from my aunt during Thanksgiving dinner. I just answered her question..."did you have her ears cut?" My reply "yes I did, they are not open wounds, they are healed and she is beautiful imo." Then I continued on with the convo I was having with my father. Nothing else was said about her ears. But she got lots of lovin.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. JasonW

JasonW Novitiate

I thought it was just something certain kinds of Doberman had - so they actually get cut to look that shape? Is there a purpose to it?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Funny we just had a negative comment said to us at our friends pet store. We had our 21week old pup without his ears posts in. A women came up to us and asked if she could pet him. I said yes. Then she says aww you had his ears clipped. Now that really :censored: PISSED ME OFF! I said in a very loud voice YES I DID! She left! :rofl:

I refuse not to say something to these :censored: people!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Unfortunately, we live in an age of ignorant busybodies. I think it's because too many want to morally preen about what really, really, great people they are rather than learn about the world. My response is to ask of they disapprove of spaying or neutering their dogs, which is much more painful than cropping or docking.

I had Dobies since the '80s and never had anyone belly ache about cropped ears until I got AJ May, 2018. On his first visit to the vet, a couple my age were in the waiting room and the husband nudged his wife and said disapprovingly as they looked at me, "Poor doberman, cropped ears." That's at a rural practice where I remember the days when the vet would castrate pigs in pickup trucks in his parking lot! I didn't expect to get any comments at that practice and especially from anyone my generation.

We have a Sheltie and I belong to a closed group on Facebook for Sheltie people that was started by someone who lives nearby. Almost everyone on the page is a pet owner, not working dog people. When I was posting AJ's ears, I made the joke picture below and got hit by several trolls when I posted it on the Sheltie page.

RS_720180729_175824-PostedEars-SabrinaAJAnna-Cropped.jpg

Another troll incident. I made a video about dumbbell training which I posted on this forum as a response to someone asking about how to train a Dobie to retrieve a dumbbell. I was very surprised to see that many people are watching it, as it's a publicly available video. As of this writing, it has over 7,000 views, 23 likes and 9 dislikes. I deleted all the snarky comments about Anna wearing an e-collar. I use an e-collar for training. However, I train in a park with a leash rule, and the park employees look the other way when I train because they know my dogs are on an e-collar. I also consider the e-collar as insurance because there's deer and bear in the park, and with the e-collar, I have a chance to call them off if they start chasing a deer or a bear.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. biaham876

biaham876 New Member

People have a tendency to say strange things...
    The other day a woman was complimenting Neo and then said “but aren’t they aggressive??” As she was petting him and he was calmly sitting, while her mini-something was being crazy. I never realized there was such a stigma around dobermans. Now that he is bigger we get all kinds of looks and comments.
    I think it’s hilarious...hopefully no one catches him getting scared at the leaves that blow by as we are walking.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. jack6hd

jack6hd New Member

My reply to a complaint about the pain with my males ear crop was to say it was not as bad as when he was neutered. There was an infection and he had pain from that.

• Agree Agree x 2