1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Growth on the Gum of Upper Molar

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Oh Little Oji, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I actually have a question:

Oji, some time ago, had a small growth-like thing on the gum of one of his upper molars. It was spherical and very small – maybe the size of the head of a pin. It was at the lower margin of the gum where it meets the tooth, and was sort of hanging from it but attached.

I decided to cut it off.

Now, some months (probably a year or two) later the same spot has a problem. It's like a growth again, but not a neat sphere this time. More an undefined shape and covering more area. This one wouldn't be a good candidate for me to incise off.

I must admit I have been the most lax with Oji's tooth care of all my Dobes. Come a long way from my first one whose teeth I brushed daily and died with white flawless teeth at 8 1/2 years.

Thing is, though, Oji's teeth stay pretty darned clean. The only teeth that really get tartar buildup are the upper molars and the upper canines.

I should have been better about Oji's teeth, but I scale them and brush them every few months.

So yeah, this growth-like thing causes his breath to be bad. I've been more frequently hitting that spot with toothpaste.

I just wonder if there is a home remedy before I take him to the vet.

I can post a pic later.

2. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Bad breath from this growth doesn't sound good...sounds like infection. Look up "epulides". This sounds like that but the type that is attached to the underlying bone. Bad smell is not a good sign. I would get him in sooner than later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1