Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

grey hairs on a 3 month old ?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Ramos.cindy, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

my 3 month old red dobie has some grey hairs on his lower back area. should i be worried or does he shead those out ?

2. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

thats what it looks like

Attached Files:

3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Individual grey or white hairs always occur. I don't see what you are trying to show in the pics, however. Is it like a patch, or several hairs?

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Interesting. Does it seem like somthing that just started overnight? Did he get shots recently? Im wondering if it could have something to do with shots or stress. However I am no vet, and this is based of a quick search. Curious what more experienced members suggest.

5. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

It is normal for white hairs to show up. My girl has a few mostly on her neck, your baby seems to have a bit more than you usually see, but I wouldn't be too worried.

6. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

It looks like white "peppering" from what I can see. I had to zoom in on my phone. Indivudual hairs but spaced around the body.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It's not real uncommon and the whole coat will change when they shed their puppy coat and go to the adult coat.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Very true. I know Buddy has a couple, but it really is a couple. :) This looks more like a speckling. But @JanS is probably right. It could all change. :)

*Edit Wait. @Ramos.cindy Is this our little Parvo puppy?? Maybe it has something to do with going through all of that??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I think it’s normal as others have stated. My dude has a patch of grey above one of his eyes. I like it, makes him look unique imo.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

yes this is our parvo puppy but it started very recently i noticed a few a week ago now i noticed a lot more

11. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Nothing to worry about, they will appear sometimes in different places. Not uncommon

12. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

My boy has about 3 white hairs on his chest, his sister having a whole patch!
    I wonder if it’s something to do with albinism being in the genetics somewhere? The mum has had blue & fawn pups before too.

Completely normal though I’d say!

13. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ragnar gets them up near his collar area. 4ECB7C12-AB19-4E28-B0CD-1191336B41E3.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. My red Doberman has random white hairs too. She had them since I got her. Glad to know it’s common.

15. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Both mine have the errant white hairs in various spots, they shed out then one or two pop up somewhere else on their body.

16. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

When our girls play rough they will sometimes get a scratch or minor injury and the fur will come in white in that spot. It sheds out within a few weeks though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

over the last 2 weeks more white hairs have grown idk if this is normal especially w shedding the first coat of hair or its stress?

Attached Files:

18. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

some more pics

Attached Files:

19. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

The new pics show a lot of white hair. Too much for my liking and it’s all over his back. What about his face and neck? I know we shouldn’t google these things, but there is some good info here:

https://www.cuteness.com/article/causes-dogs-hair-turn-white

Having read that, I’d ask the breeder if the other puppies in the same litter had this problem. If not, then I’d get the thyroid checked before worrying about the other stuff in the link. It also seems that it might be vaccination related. Your pup had the Parvo shot and then caught Parvo within a day or two if I remember. Also ask your vet whether they gave any other shots while they were treating him - they should NOT have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

he has a couple on his face and the hair thats growing in on his ears have a couple white ones the vet saw him this past saturday and said its him shedding his hair but i cannot help but worry