• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Grain free, raw?

HBomb

So I know about the connections with grain free and DCM in Dobermann’s.. so what is the rule with a raw diet? Never see it mentioned.. I was thinking if I need to include a grain, sprouted barley could be a good choice. But I just can’t find any supporting info about grain free, raw for Dobes or if it is necessary when raw.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
From what I understand there is NOT a connection with grain free & DCM in the Doberman breed. DCM in Dobermans is mostly genetic. It was found that DCM increased in breeds not commonly known to have DCM after the grain-free push started. So if there IS a connection, it would be adding insult to injury to a Doberman that may already be prone to it. "Grain free" dog food has basically replaced wheat, corn & soy with lentils & peas. Not technically grains, so they can say grain-free, but it's sure not meat. Wheat & corn are fillers and pretty starchy. Soy is very high protein but affects hormones and just isn't a good idea no matter what, lentils & peas are starchy AND have high protein. None of these are good substitutes for meat protein when it comes to dogs & cats. To feed raw, there are lots of links that @strykerdobe posts to help you learn. Plenty of Dobermans live long lives on good quality kibble. You can read through Dog Food Advisor website for non-biased ratings of almost all the dog foods out there. I have no doubt raw is a great diet, but you have to be sure to balance it or buy pre-made balanced, both of which take time & effort &/or $$$. You can go crazy trying to do what's best for your dog and still not be sure.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
The issue with grain free was not the lack of grains itself but possibly the source of proteins used to boost the protein % for cheap and the ingredients used to bind the food together. There was correlation with these ingredients possibly blocking taurine absorption and thus causing taurine deficiency and diet induced DCM. With raw, you do not need to feed grain or worry about lack of taurine, typically. As a lot of your organ meats will cover that.

HBomb

The issue with grain free was not the lack of grains itself but possibly the source of proteins used to boost the protein % for cheap and the ingredients used to bind the food together. There was correlation with these ingredients possibly blocking taurine absorption and thus causing taurine deficiency and diet induced DCM. With raw, you do not need to feed grain or worry about lack of taurine, typically. As a lot of your organ meats will cover that.
Ah, thank you! That makes so much more sense!

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
So I know about the connections with grain free and DCM in Dobermann’s.. so what is the rule with a raw diet? Never see it mentioned.. I was thinking if I need to include a grain, sprouted barley could be a good choice. But I just can’t find any supporting info about grain free, raw for Dobes or if it is necessary when raw.

There is no definitive answer on the Grain Free foods. They were looking at the Pea Proteins and Legumes as possible things that are blocking Taurine absorption.
My take on Kibble and Canned foods Grain Free or Non Grain Free. They have for 1) Not enough named meat in them. 2) Too many (40-60% or more) Carbs in them. 3) Boosted protein levels with mostly grains. When you read the bag on how much protein there is. Guaranteed most of the protein is from Non meat sources.

Raw foods.
A Prey model raw diet is just 80% muscle meat, 10% Bone and 10% Organs with no grains. A Prey Diet you must feed Bones and Organs and Not just meat! Because there are other nutrients like vitamins, amino acids and other things in Organs that are not in muscle meat. Also bones for calcium and other nutrients.

We feed mostly a rotational (with different meat proteins) Prey diet. But we do add some canned Pumpkin, ground plain Organic pumpkin seeds, coconut oil, Omega 3 Sardine and Anchovy Oil, Blueberries.

Yes lots of dogs do good on Kibble and canned foods. And it depends on your budget and picking a better food.