Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

GPS on your biting, eating, pooping machine?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Pudding, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pudding

Pudding Jr Member

Seriously considering GPS for Ruger's collar. Anyone have first-hand experience using one of them on your dog? Let's discuss!

I have first-hand experience with several personal GPS trackers but not on my dog. I use them on my son (who has autism) and I've used TraxPlay, PocketFinder, AmberAlert GPS, Trackimo and AngelSense.

But for the dog?

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I haven't considered it?
    Rocky doesn't seem eager to leave, lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I haven't given it a thought either. Both dogs are pretty much glued to my side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Holy Moly, $800! :wideyed: I would never spend that on something I already know.

All it would show to me is Buddy running around our 10 acres and standing so close to me I trip over him! :wacky:

I already know that. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

The biggest reason we've considered it is when Della takes off after a fox. We don't want to zap her if she's out of sight not knowing what she's doing so it would be nice to pinpoint her. Usually she winds up out in the swamp and gets all muddy but she always comes back - just not soon enough for me. Otherwise they're always within sight and close to us too.
    But I agree that $800 is a lot for those rare occasions when it does happen. I could see it being more justifiable for someone with hunting dogs where they do have to get out there a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pudding

Pudding Jr Member

No $800 for me. That's not the type of unit I was talking about.

8. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

A neighbor of mine who owns a GSP that continues to jump the fence has resorted to a dog GPS on the collar. ( the dog escapes like every other week - before the dog was chipped, he was brought to the pound and was actually adopted by someone who refused to give him back, they fought it and got the dog back but he still gets out). I think if you have a reason for it - then sure - if you're doing off leash hiking or there's a chance someone's going to let him out the door accidentally- it would be a great tool as long as the device stays on the collar/the collar is on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pudding

Pudding Jr Member

We were considering mounting it up Ruger's butt, however charging the unit each night would be seriously challenging. Haha!

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

7780045D-D4F2-4EA9-99C9-6E51E0B0C1EF.jpeg 9A15C7FB-C3B8-46DE-8A25-907E9CD0D533.png

This device just popped up on my Nextdoor app. And I thought of you @Pudding. Did you end up getting a GPS for your pup?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pudding

Pudding Jr Member

Thanks. I had noticed the Whistle, but haven't heard from anyone who has personally used it. No, we didn't get a GPS device for him yet. He's young and destructive and we figured we wait a bit. Also, I was hoping to hear from peeps who have experience with this technology.