Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Gorilla Chews

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Kaiser2016, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Kaiser found a cool new toy while we were at a pet shop over the weekend. It's called a Gorilla Chew. Sounds about right for Donkey Kong!

Sit. Down. Stay. Wait. Wait some more, just cuz I said so lol.

image.jpeg

And he's beat. At this size it's a deck toy. But if it stays popular with him, a smaller size for indoor play will be better for the hardwood floors. Anyone else have one? How long does it last? Do you dislike it for any reason? Any and all feedback please!
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I’ve never heard of a gorilla chew :scratch: is it a wood loaf? Could it splinter?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

What the heck is it??

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It looks like it's Java wood? Does it splinter into pieces? Does he eat them? I'm sure my dogs would love it for chewing but I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable letting them eat it.

5. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We looked into java wood chews for Rue. The girl is a gnawer. :rolleyes: It was recommended by a friend that is into birds. It's the wood used for parrot play gyms, the little wood decorations you see the reptile cages and sometimes aquariums. It's a very dense wood so it's hard to splinter. From what I understood the key to using it for dogs is to get a piece bigger than their mouth. That piece you have in the pics looks perfect @Kaiser2016
    To me the key to any dog toy/chew is know the dog and always supervise.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I have those for all my birds. They hold up well to the big beaks gnawing on them. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

It's gotta be safer than this!

image.jpeg

I have not noticed him ingesting any of it. No crumbling either. I take it away so it's not a free access chew. I will see how it changes over time. It definitely does not splinter like a 2x4 so that is already an improvement haha.

• Wow x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tropicalbri's

That isn’t a treated 2x4 is it?

9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Weather treated? No. It was for interior framing. He had ignored much of the construction materials but that piece somehow caught his attention. I took this pic and then got rid of it because of the splinter risk.

There was another smaller piece that he liked to lay his head on lol. I should try to find the pic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Found it! Looks like he gnawed on this one too. image.jpeg

And then took a nap on it.
    image.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  11. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

Just to make sure it's still there when he wakes up!

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Have you seen the picture of the dog that loves his brick on Twitter? It shows the dog as a little puppy and as he grows with this brick. So cute.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Just looked it up. Hilarious! It is so sweet when they form an attachment like that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tropicalbri's

My Rottie Lab x had two shovels that he chewed the handles off of when they caught him in the nuts while jumping on the shovel. He played with one M-F and Sat and Sun he had his big head shovel. He carried it everywhere with him. The local newspaper actually did a human interest story on it. Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I find it so interesting And if truth be told I agreed to a Doberman (my husband’s choice of dog) after watching a NatGeo Billiant Beast special. There was just something special about this Doberman and I was sold from then on. And here I am today with 2.
    You can google it and view the episode.

• Wow x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  16. Tropicalbri's

Wow... I am speechless. That was amazing and certainly fuels the brain with theories.
    Thank you!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

OMG. What if someone taught him how to put his toys away during the first 4 years of his life?

18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

You know what Kaiser did yesterday...he pooped facing me and then moved to a different spot still facing me and pooped again!

First of all he never delivers half a poop. He does the whole deal at once in one squatting. But the fact that he kept the same direction despite moving and circling between poops was bizarre.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Tropicalbri's

Bacall finds the balls they drop out the window of the truck when we do the mangrove trails. The road is about 7/10 of a mile and as we are walking she will find them in the mangroves and other tree bases.
    They hang their head out the window with the ball in their mouths and will occasionally drop them.
    Bacall jumps out of the truck and refuses a new ball and will run down the road to find HER ball. It’s pretty funny.
    Bogie just wants his new balls until Bacall finds the other ones. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

See and this is what I’m talking about... aren’t they amazing

• Agree Agree x 3