1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Good dog food

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Jordy100, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Jordy100

Jordy100 Member

Hello!

I switched my girl from Blue Buffalo Basics to FirstMate which is a lamb based food. I think it’s causing acid reflux as she’s tending to throw up here and there etc. I want to switch her off, but I’m stuck on what to do. I found a new brand that has probiotics in it, but the flavors are Salmon, Quail, or Bison/venison. She can’t have chicken either. Just looking for some advice on what would be good for her sensitive tummy. Is Salmon a good choice?

2. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Good choice not to feed Blue!!!

Well this is the biggest 24$$ question of all. Not all dogs are the same with the same foods! A food that the dog does well on and that is in your budget is the best.

And its not just feeding a good food the dog will THRIVE on. Lots of other factors come into play for good health and not just feeding a good food.

Its well known we don't like Kibble or Canned foods! :rofl:
    For us we feed a Raw Diet.

How old is your Dobe? FirstMate is not a bad food. I talk to one of the Reps at the big pet shows. Exactly which FirstMate food is it? Grain Free or Grains? Puppy or Adult?
    Or just a picture of the bag and post it.

Maybe try feeding smaller portions 3x's a day. When our Female was a puppy she would regurgitate a little after eating. As she got older it stopped.

We are also big on a rotational diet with different meat proteins. Not feeding the same food every day.

Lots of reading in these Forums below on Nutrition. Info on what ingredients mean and others you don't want to see in foods.

If you go into the Forum Doberman Nutritional Care

Then the Sub Forum Nutrition News and Articles

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Dog Food Reviews

Here is a link to dog food and their ratings. Hope that helps.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What brands do you have available in your area? If you name a few we might be able to give you suggestions from there.

5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

For a dog with a sensitive tummy, I'd give a separate probiotic. There's never enough probiotic in the kibble because kibble manufacturing involves high heat processes that kill off a lot of the good stuff that may have gone into it. I agree with Stryker that we don't like kibble for those reasons. If you can, try a premade raw diet. It looks like burger patties that you keep in the freezer, thaw overnight. It's an easy way to get comfortable with raw feeding vs looking at actual bones and organs in the bowl. It was the only thing that worked on my Dobe who never had solid stools while on kibble (didn't matter if it was a pet store brand or high end). Now his poops are perfection!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Antman408

I agree! My dude has never had solid stools on kibble. Moved to a premade raw (didn’t look like a patty doe) and his poops solidified (even having giardia for 3 months. However stools were solid and mushy sometimes).

You can also purchase a raw feeding plan off “pet nutrition” and you can buy all ingredients at the grocery stores and local shops.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

@Antman408 That's right, there are other options out there. Some are patty shaped, some are blocks, and some are cylinders.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Antman408

I like the tube shaped ones.

• Like Like x 1
  9. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Another easy option for feeding Raw is Honest Kitchen (dehydrated raw) you just add warm water. It comes with meat in it already or just a Basic Mix where you add in your own meat proteins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I have tried several of these. Very easy to pack for hikes, and so lightweight!

• Agree Agree x 1