Going back in time to 1988, our 1st Dobie.

C908

I came across this old picture which made me reflect. My wife and I got married in 1988 and got our first doberman puppy. We look back and see our differently we do things now. First thing was we got our pup when she was 6 wks instead of at least 8 wks. Second thing was her ears had not been cropped so we had them done by our local vet. There was no discussion about what style or length, he just did them. Third thing was we were told she needed to be spayed at a young age so thats what we did. Next thing was he recommended Science Diet food so that's what she ate her whole life. Dispite our ignorance on how and what to do she turned out to be a wonderful dog.She lived to be almost 16 passing away in 2004. She is buried in our backyard with a beautiful granite headstone. That was our beginning and now 32 years later we are on number 6. What a wonderful breed they are. Here is a picture of our Onyx. 20201222_111704.jpg

Beautiful girl. Its amazing how things have changed and the things we learn along the way. And we somehow survive it all! Do you remember who her parents were? 16 is a LONG life for any large breed!! Truly amazing!

Beautiful girl. Its amazing how things have changed and the things we learn along the way. And we somehow survive it all! Do you remember who her parents were? 16 is a LONG life for any large breed!! Truly amazing!
Her parents were both on site, unfortunately I dont know where the paperwork is. They were AKC but since we were just getting her as a pet we didn't bother registering her. Just another one of the many things we do differently now.

What a pretty girl Onyx was! and 16 years! Thank you for sharing. I would love to see more dog photos from our past. I would have to dig into my boxes of paper photos to find pictures of my first two, an adopted young adult female around 1984 who died within a couple of years (suspect Von Willebrands), then a 1991 puppy who lived to be 11.

Wow that was an amazing look back , nearly 16! Thats was awesome, thank you for sharing a great bit off your dobie history.

I can see the alertness and intelligence in the eyes. They really are so special :hearteyes:
One time when I was at work someone was snooping around the outside of our house. My wife was home alone with Onyx. She had never seen Onyx respond the way she did.Onyx was all businesss and ready to defend my wife. The person outside heard the barks and decided to move on. From that point on my wife was never scared to be alone as long as Onyx was there.

What a beautiful girl and how inspiring that she lived that long.
Second thing was her ears had not been cropped so we had them done by our local vet. There was no discussion about what style or length, he just did them.
If it was that long ago I'm sure you remember the standard template they clamped onto the ears to crop them, so they all looked the same. There are still a few vets who do it that way but most have advanced well beyond that these days to do custom crops.

Back