Getting a puppy to coexist with an older small dog

WANTED

I have a 3 month old Dobie female that I now have 3 wks ......smart, sweet and gorgeous. Problem I can't stop her from harassing my 15 yr old 1/2 blind/deaf Yorkie. She goes over and sniffs, the typical Dobie nose , taps him with the paw (now almost the size of his head...lol) jumps on him and barks at him... certainly not aggressive just too scary for him. I've had Dobies in the past, although not with another dog. She is gr8 with all dogs in the neighborhood, ect but I can't stop her from terrorizing him. I have given her a time out in crate, held her down for calming, raised my voice, tapped her hind qtr, all for naught. Oh, watched 1/2 doz YouTubes but none with small older dog and large puppy. Hard to keep them apart in the house ...open to any clever suggestion besides the obvious of keeping them apart ;) ..thx

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I have a 3 month old Dobie female that I now have 3 wks ......smart, sweet and gorgeous. Problem I can't stop her from harassing my 15 yr old 1/2 blind/deaf Yorkie. She goes over and sniffs, the typical Dobie nose , taps him with the paw (now almost the size of his head...lol) jumps on him and barks at him... certainly not aggressive just too scary for him. I've had Dobies in the past, although not with another dog. She is gr8 with all dogs in the neighborhood, ect but I can't stop her from terrorizing him. I have given her a time out in crate, held her down for calming, raised my voice, tapped her hind qtr, all for naught. Oh, watched 1/2 doz YouTubes but none with small older dog and large puppy. Hard to keep them apart in the house ...open to any clever suggestion besides the obvious of keeping them apart ;) ..thx
See my post above. This is exactly what happened when I got my puppy - she was a terror to the resident, then 5 year old Dutch Shepherd. The Dutchie was just too polite to snap or snarl at the pup. Asha got bigger and rowdier, she wore a leash all the time in the house so I could snatch her up, we only let them play off leash together when the older dog "invited" it by getting zoomies (outside only - never play in the house). At about 7 months old I introduced the e-collar, used a very low stem to reinforce No means No to leave the other dog alone. It will depend on the hardness of your puppy how much it will take and how long it will take to leave your Yorkie alone, but you MUST advocate for the Yorkie. The elder dog doesn't need the torment and your new pup will benefit greatly by you insisting on boundaries and rules. Hard rule is that if one dog is not having fun, the play gets stopped immediately.

WANTED

Appreciate the response, leash on always in house and I agree giving Yorkie a lot of Love. Haven't thought about an E-collar but certainly a possibility,, just not sure if she's too young main difference is a Dutch Shepherd is much bigger then a 10 lb Yorkie that can't stand up for himself...an obvious work in progress will look into E-collar for her age. Thx

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Appreciate the response, leash on always in house and I agree giving Yorkie a lot of Love. Haven't thought about an E-collar but certainly a possibility,, just not sure if she's too young main difference is a Dutch Shepherd is much bigger then a 10 lb Yorkie that can't stand up for himself...an obvious work in progress will look into E-collar for her age. Thx
Personally, I'd let her get a bit older before the e-collar. She has to really understand the command before you back it up with the e-collar. Your basic commands, sit, down, come & wait should be good & solid with no distractions, then working on her listening to you with tempting distractions like the Yorkie. I used "leave it" for anything and everything that I wanted her to stop doing. By 6 months she was pretty much understanding all of it but being a wild belligerent puppy that challenged my authority over & over, she would choose to ignore me. Thus the dragging a leash in the house. Your girl may very well learn within a month or two with just verbal commands backed up with leash pressure. Also when you call her off the Yorkie make yourself more fun for a minute with a toy or treat distraction. Make leaving the Yorkie a good trade. Pretty soon she should realize that the Yorkie is not much fun at all compared to what you have. The size of the Dutchie helped, but she was so well trained to not interact with other dogs, she wouldn't dare tell my puppy to back off. Which would have been helpful, but I know won't happen with your elder dog. There were the 2 house cats though, at about 10 and 15 lbs and the free range chickens, all of which I trained her to leave alone with No & Leave It & a leash before the e-collar came into play. It was basically for outdoor off leash hikes where the dogs could run full out & I had to remind Asha from 100 feet away not to body slam her canine buddy.

WANTED

Again good suggestions. My Dobie sounds just like urs with the 3 1/2 wks I have her she k=now knows sit, stay, down, leave-it and waits for us to go through a door and not touch food until I say o'k. That said she is a true Dobie sometimes I look at her know she's telling me to go to hell...lol They are so smart but at her age 13 wks she's amazing and will only get better with time and patience...hope the Yorkie and I live to see it ;)

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
At this age, I would give them individual time and keep separate if keeping her on leash isn't an option until the ecollar can come into play. It doesn't mean they can't ever be together supervised but sometimes puppies are just so relentless you may be non stop correcting her all day while your Yorkie tries to exist peacefully. I have an older dog too, she's 13 but she is 40lbs and she DOES tell Ripley off, growls barks charges etc. Ripley calls her bluff and does not care. She will non stop go for my older dog to try to play. I can tell her to leave it with enough correction but then my older dog walks into Ripley's space, almost instigating her to start something... and it starts all over again. I keep them separated for peace of mind for everyone. Paige seems much happier having her own space. She would growl at Ripley across the room if I let her. It's not fair to Paige to have to deal with her if they don't enjoy each other's presence that much.

PhilT

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
Very pleased you have found your dobie puppy, they are a bundle off energy so I hope you can work it out with your 15yr old yorkie, and would love to see some pictures.

Cherry

Novitiate
Hello!
Would it be at all possible to get a gate to a bedroom, laundry room or similar area of the house that has a smaller door for cats and small dogs? This would allow your older dog a safe space away that your young pup would not be able to enter.