Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

[Germany] Dog owners face written and practical tests

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by FredC, Mar 22, 2012.

1. FredC

FredC Guest

Published: 21 Mar 12 14:51 CET

Dog owners in Germany are bracing themselves for the introduction of a license which would require passing written and practical tests and could cost hundreds of euros.

Authorities in Lower Saxony passed a law last year requiring owners to prove their basic knowledge about dogs and for the pets to pass a behaviour test. Berlin may follow suit.

The Lower Saxony measure takes effect in 2013, although people who can prove they have owned a dog for at least two years since 2003 will be exempt.

Owners will be tested on their knowledge of dog owner rules and of dogs' needs in general. A practical test of the animal, which can be completed by a veterinarian, will also be required to show that the pet is socialized and not dangerous.

The rule also requires dog owners to have liability insurance for their pets and that dogs have an identification chip inserted under their skin.

Lower Saxony's agricultural ministry expects dog owners will have to pay around €350 to €550, depending on how much the vet charges, ministry spokesperson Natascha Manski told The Local.

Now Berlin’s authorities, having recorded significant increases in dog bites over the past few years, are working out how to introduce similar licensing rules.

The number of dog bites reported to authorities rose by 44 to 704 last year, compared to 2010 – a six percent increase. That follows a 30 percent rise in 2010 over 2009.

"That is clearly an alarm signal," Claudia Hämmerling, the animal rights spokeswoman for Berlin's Green party, told the Tagessppiegel newspaper. She noted that of the 704 bites reported, just 32 were attributable to ‘attack’ dog breeds.

Hämmerling, herself the owner of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, is working to get a licensing rule similar to that in Lower Saxony through the Berlin state government.

Under the bill being discussed dogs would be divided into three categories based on size and breed. Attack, hunting and herding dogs would be required to pass additional tests based on the breed's character.

There has been much discussion about the costs, the paper noted. Prices for the written exam would be around €25 and between €50 and €75 for the practical test.

Hämmerling, who met dog owners on Tuesday evening, said cooperation among the interested parties had been "superb." She did say that many were worried their beloved pet might be taken away if they fail to pass the test.

The Green party politician said she assured owners that the aim of the law was not to separate dog owners from their pets but to make sure people who own canines are responsible.

Asked whether someone would fail if their dog did not come on command, Hämmerling giggled and said: "Whose dog comes on command?" The idea is to show that the dogs are socialized and not a danger to people.
    -----------------------
    Source

• Like Like x 5
  2. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

The AR must have come down from the State police mentality. When will government learn you can't regulate common snese, morality, or responsibility. So MAKE every one pay to line their corrupt pockets with more money to blow. I SAY GAG. Germany has already lost the rights they had to crop and dock.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ataro

Ataro Notable member

I would say this goes beyond the level of C&D, in Germany you can't even breed a dog without prior permission from certain kennel club authorities. If you do so without their permission, regardless of whether your dog is a champion or involved in successful breeding programs, you will not be able to register the litter through the VDH with the FCI. There are already licenses and exams in place for "dangerous breeds", I say it's just another way to rip people off for money.

Unrelated to dogs, but another example of the same thing: if you want a drivers license in Germany and already have experience or you're a quick learner, you can't just do the exams - you're forced to attend a certain number of lessons and document hours driven at a school which comes to a total of around 2000€.

The thing is it's a countrywide mentality to treat its citizens and residents like children... and it's starting to go too far.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Ataro

Ataro Notable member

Forgot to add - this is on top of the tax you already need to pay to keep a dog in Germany. My question is: why don't they use the funds from that for an education program, rather than finding new ideas on how to screw people over for money even more?

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ataro

Ataro Notable member

What's missing from the English version:
    Basically, unless you can prove that you've paid the dog tax in Germany for 2 years, and you're not a vet or a hunter, you have to pay for and take the exam, and have liability insurance of between 250,000 - 500,000€ per dog. And then there's also a 10,000€ fine if you don't comply.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Liberty & Justice

Liberty & Justice Formerly Sophia's Justice Hot Topics Subscriber

Not the worst idea I've heard of...... If the reason behind this is to disrupt the uneducated, irresponsible owners of such breeds we love then I'd be for it. After reading another attack on a 88 year old lady I think some regulation is necessary. For the record I'm not a big fan of big brother ( government ).

• Like Like x 1
  7. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Stephen, please think about this long and hard. It may sound good on paper but what is the reality of it? Making people pay money to take a test does nothing but give the government more money aka- power to take away more freedom. Just because someone knows how to pass a test does not mean they are going to put in the effort to practice what they know. There would have to be follow up to make sure the rules are be followed. Which means more government jobs which means bigger government. Bigger government means you pay more taxes to support it. Do you see the vicious cycle here. The bigger the government the less you have and the more they have. Nope, not for me!
    No government is going to stop bad things from happening! People need to step up and take responsablity for their own actions, not depend on the government to do it for them!

• Like Like x 5
  8. Liberty & Justice

Liberty & Justice Formerly Sophia's Justice Hot Topics Subscriber

I guess I'm just being more pro active in the fight to keep irresponsible owners at bay from owning such breeds. That's more so the point I was searching for in reading this. If that's not entirely what it's about I do apologize. I am ONE of the biggest anti-government people out there. I feel that all they do is intrude on others lives. However they do serve a purpose on many levels that we don't always think about. I'm not a big supporter in paying them money I don't feel they deserve. But if it's to help regulate who owns a breed that is capable of destruction so be it. I feel most responsible people would understand weeding out the bad. If there was another idea that was for that purpose I'd be a big supporter.

I'm certainly not trying to go against the grain on this one. I'm sure this bill has other intentions that I'm not seeing at this point. I was really distraught to hear about an 88 year old lady attacked by two dogs yesterday, and it only angered me in thinking " Who the heck would want a dog capable of doing such a unprovoked attack ". I don't care what breed it is, if you don't have the gumption to treat your dog in a loving, responsible way, why allow such a person to own one ? That's all I'm for.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dobs4ever

And how do you feel when you are helpless because they don't think you are responsible enough to own a Doberman???? Once the AR groups win on ONE issue then they come after the rest and it is much easier to win the second battle.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Ataro

Ataro Notable member

These new rules go for ALL breeds, in addition to the dangerous breed measures.

11. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That is SO true! Knowing right from wrong has little to do with doing the right thing.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Did someone mention a slippery slope?;)
    Howz about huge rediculously large fines for the dumb asses when their dogs tear up someone?,rather than making every one go through hell to own a dog.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 3
  14. Dobs4ever

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT - You can't fix STUPID