1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Garlic Friend Or Foe? Learn the Truth about the secrets of GARLIC

Discussion in 'Nutrition News and Articles' started by strykerdobe, Feb 5, 2020.

1. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Learn the Truth
    about the secrets of
    GARLIC

[​IMG]

Garlic the master medicine: Scientists find a compound in the herb that can destroy resistant bacteria

TAKEN FROM NATURAL NEWS

(Natural News) Some say garlic elevates savory dishes, while others avoid it like the plague. However, if you tend to shy away from eating garlic, you might want to think twice as studies show it works remarkably well at killing resistant bacteria and fighting chronic infections.

Closely related to vegetables with pronounced flavors like onions, chives, shallots and leeks, garlic has been used in cuisines around the world for thousands of years. While it’s full of nutrients like iron, magnesium, selenium and zinc, it is perhaps best known for its medicinal purposes.

Researchers from the University of Copenhagen carried out a study that showed a compound in garlic can destroy the important components of bacteria’s communication systems involving regulatory RNA molecules. This can also have the effect of helping antibiotics work again in difficult cases where it once failed to make an impact.

In addition to stopping DNA molecules in the bacteria, the garlic compound can also destroy the protective slimy matrix that surrounds the bacteria known as biofilm. Once the biofilm has been weakened or destroyed, the body’s own immune system and antibiotics can attack the bacteria more directly and get rid of the infection with ease.

The researchers say that they believe their garlic drug could help treat patients whose outlook is otherwise poor. A biotech firm is developing the compound for use against bacterial infections, and human clinical trials are expected to be carried out soon.

• The group has been studying garlic’s effect on bacteria since 2005, when they learned that garlic extract can inhibit bacteria. In 2012, they found that it’s a sulfurous compound in garlic known as ajoene that is responsible for this effect. The new study, which is published in the Nature Scientific Reports, explores the ability of ajoene to destroy this bacteria in depth.

They looked at Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, which are two very different types of bacteria that generally must be fought using different methods. The fact that the garlic compound can address them both at the same time is extremely promising.

Don’t shy away from garlic
      As aggressive multi-resistant infections continue to challenge medical professionals around the world and put patients’ health at risk, this natural treatment could prove quite useful. While the researchers emphasize that garlic contains such a small amount of ajoene that people would need to consume mass quantities of it to get the benefits, there are still plenty of reasons to start using more of it in your own kitchen.

For example, it can boost heart health, regulating cholesterol levels and preventing blood clots from forming. Its antiseptic properties make it useful in treating infected wounds, ear aches, and other infections, and raw garlic can also be used to address colds and coughs.

Although it has a strong flavor that sticks with you long after you’ve eaten it, it can actually help digestion quite a bit by supporting intestinal function, reducing gastric canal swelling. By killing damaging bacteria in the intestines, it can help ease diarrhea, colitis and even dysentery. It has also been linked to preventing cancers like those of the esophagus, stomach and colon, in addition to inhibiting the growth of breast tumors.

EVERY DOG BITTEN BY A TICK WILL NOT GET LYME DISEASE AND SOME GARLIC IN THEIR FOOD
      MAY HELP TO PREVENT TICK BORNE DISEASE!

GARLIC FrienD or FoE?
      Garlic (Allium sativum) has been valued for thousands of years for its medicinal purposes. Five thousand year old Sanskrit and Chinese medical manuscripts describe the benefits of garlic. Today, garlic is grown all over the world and is making a strong comeback as a potent, effective, natural remedy.
      34 September - October 2013
      By Deva Khalsa DVM

Below is a great article by Dr. Khalsa- written in conjunction with the National Animal Supplement Council !

• Garlic is a member of the lily family and of the same genus as the onion. Garlic has been used for thousands of years as a medicinal herb: in fact, Hippocrates advocated garlic for infections, cancer and digestive disorders. The great Roman naturalist, Pliny the Elder, also recommended garlic for a wide variety of ailments, ranging from the common cold to epilepsy and cancer. Modern science has also established the fact that garlic boosts immunity, gets rid of bacterial, viral and fungal infections, enhances liver function, helps detoxify the cells in the body, lowers cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood and even fights cancer.
    • Raw garlic cloves contain a high amount of a compound called alliin, as well as the enzyme alliinasse. When garlic is crushed or diced, the alliin comes into contact with the alliinase enzyme and the compound allicin is formed. Cooked garlic is not nearly as therapeutic as fresh crushed or finely diced garlic. A Victim Of Poor Press Recently, the safety of garlic for dogs has come into question. That’s because one research study used a huge amount of garlic in their test dogs. When garlic is fed in very large amounts to dogs, it can cause oxidative damage to red blood cells, leading to a medical
    • situation called Heinz body anemia. Knowledge is a powerful thing, but astute pet owners should gather all the data about garlic before shunning this celebrated bulb. Ironically, garlic is approved as a flavoring, spice or seasoning for use in pet food, yet the FDA has listed garlic in its poisonous plant database. That’s because a study suggested that when garlic is fed in excessive quantities (5 grams of whole garlic per kilogram of the dog’s body weight), it might cause damage to the red blood cells of dogs. Considering the data presented in this study, the average 75 pound Golden Retriever would need to eat five full heads of garlic or about 75 cloves of garlic in each meal before there would be any adverse effect on the red blood cells. Similarly, a dog weighing mere 10 lbs would need to eat 25 grams of garlic - a bit less than an entire head of garlic, or about 8 to10 large garlic cloves in every meal to experience any adverse effects.
    • A host of studies provide evidence that the allicin in garlic works to inhibit cancer formation. With cancer being the number one cause of death in dogs in the United States, let’s all get going with garlic!
    • How many dogs do you know who would either be given or would want to eat that many cloves of garlic? Drinking too much water can kill you, but we all drink water. In fact, we all know that drinking enough water is a healthy thing to do. So what’s healthy and what’s too much? It’s obvious that all this “garlic is bad for your dog” hype has been taken totally out of context. Furthermore, reported adverse affects from garlic add up to a total non-event over the past 22 years. The National Animal Supplement Council responsibly records both Adverse Events and Serious Adverse Events resulting from the use of natural products. A Serious Adverse Event is defined as: “An Adverse Event with a transient incapacitating effect (i.e. rendering the animal unable to function normally for a short period of time, such as with a seizure) or non-transient (i.e. permanent) health effect.” 900 million doses of garlic over a 22 year time span resulted in only two Serious Adverse Events and these episodes could very well have been due not to garlic, but to another ingredient in the mix. This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the risk of using garlic is so low that it’s statistically insignificant. It’s Time To Reconsider Garlic What is significant is all the positive research delineating the medicinal powers of garlic. Of all garlic’s reputed benefits, perhaps the best known is its use as a natural antibiotic, with reports going back through history. In fact, Pasteur noted garlic’s antibacterial activity in 1958. Modern researchers have compared the effectiveness of garlic with that of antibiotics and have found that garlic has a broad spectrum antibacterial effect. Additionally, bacteria don’t seem to build up a resistance to garlic as they do to many modern antibiotics. But that’s not all. Garlic increases the immune activity of Killer Cells (cells that seek out and kill invading bacteria and cancer cells). Uncooked garlic also helps lower blood triglycerides and cholesterol, making it useful for certain breeds (Schnauzers and Beagles) that are predisposed to this problem. A 1988 study found that diallyl sulfide, a compound in garlic, prevented tumor formation in rats. Other studies have shown that garlic inhibits various forms of cancer growth in the body. Garlic also enhances overall liver function and triggers enzyme responses to help break down waste materials before they go into the bloodstream. In other words, garlic helps the liver out - and in today’s toxic world, our dogs’ livers need all the help they can get. Additionally, garlic has been fed to dogs to help prevent flea infestations. There are many products on the market containing garlic for this very purpose. Both powdered and raw garlic are effective, although raw garlic has significantly more health benefits. When using garlic as a flea preventive it’s important to use a castile soap or detergent free shampoo. Dogs don’t sweat as humans do and the garlic aroma comes out in the oil on their coat. It takes several weeks for the garlic compounds to build up in the oil and a detergent shampoo removes the oil so you’re back to square one again.
    • How To Prepare Garlic To release its medicinal properties, garlic first has to go through a chemical process so the allicin can be created. It’s best to finely chop or crush the garlic clove, then wait a few minutes to allow the chemical reaction to occur. The healing allicin is unstable when exposed to air and heat, so don’t wait more than 20 minutes before you top your dog’s meal with some healthy raw garlic. A host of studies provide evidence that the allicin in garlic works to inhibit cancer formation. With cancer being the number one cause of death in dogs in the United States, let’s all get going with garlic! Buy a garlic press or simply chop some up. You can then mix it in with your dog’s meal While cooking garlic destroys allicin, other components in cooked or powdered garlic continue to provide some benefits to your dog’s health. The cooked garlic will still function as an antioxidant and help flush toxins out. If you cook meals for your dog, it’s totally fine to add garlic as a flavoring and for improved health. It’s no wonder garlic (Allium sativum) has been valued for thousands of years for its medicinal purposes. Five thousand year old Sanskrit and Chinese medical manuscripts describe the benefits of garlic. Today, garlic is grown all over the world and is making a strong comeback as a potent, effective, natural remedy.
    • Since beginning her holistically oriented veterinary practice over 25 years ago, Dr Khalsa has been incorporating homeopathy, acupuncture, Chinese herbs, nutritional advice, allergy elimination techniques such as NAET and also JMT into her approach. Dr Khalsa is a Fellow and Professor of the British Institute of Homeopathy
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I've had a love-hate situation with garlic since my first Doberman. We love garlic! I cook with garlic a lot. But back when my first Doberman was sick and dying, one vet asked if I had fed garlic. I didn't but also didn't realize that the solid gold dog food I was feeding had garlic in it. She told me garlic was bad for dogs. I was confused. Why is it in my dog food then? ? I'll never forget toward the end of his life when she took an x-ray. She told me he had no liver. I was like, what? I contacted solid gold and ask them about the garlic. I believe that later on they actually took it out of their ingredient list! That scared me even more thinking that they are actually decided to take it out. So even though we eat garlic all the time. I never considered it for my dog again. Now it's back on the 'good' list! I guess everything in moderation as usual, but I don't know If I'd like it added in my dog's kibble. Adding it on my own is one thing. At least that can be regulated by the owner.

• Like Like x 1
  3. strykerdobe

We have been giving Springtime Garlic for the past 7yrs with no issues.

Just make sure its not from China! I have seen bags of Garlic from China! Get local grown!

• Like Like x 1
  4. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Did you ever wonder when it says locally-grown if it really is? With so many lies out there about food, I get suspicious about everything!

5. strykerdobe

6. strykerdobe

Yes I do too! Ask lots of questions.

Look at local farmers markets.

• Like Like x 1