Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Full-blooded doberman?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Pripyat, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Pripyat

Pripyat Novitiate

Friend of mine is wondering if she got scammed.

Any input is appreciated.

signal-2020-07-19-143226.jpg

20200718_090645.jpg

2. Pripyat

Pripyat Novitiate

3. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy Jr Member

Looks like a Done. How old, how big? Is it a reputable breeder?

4. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy Jr Member

Looks like a Dobe. Damn autocorrect

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Is it my phone or are the eyes different colors

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pripyat

Pripyat Novitiate

The eyes are different colors. Actually the bottom half of the left eye looks darker than the rest of the eye.

Not from a reputable breeder, which is why we're wondering if she's a genuine Dobe.

7. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Papers (registration) from AKC? That would be a start, but still could be "puppy-mill" breeding. This breed is pretty fragile health-wise, so purchasing from proven reputable breeders is helpful to assure you that the parents are not passing down inheritable health defects.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

Hard to tell at that age if the pup is pure Dobe, but it might be more apparent as it matures. My girl is a Doberman mix and it wasn't until she was about 10 months old that some of the differences in body shape appeared.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow, I've never seen that.

10. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

If the dog didn’t come with papers it would be hard to tell. If the breeder isn’t giving registration paperwork or health testing info. Probably not a good sign.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

A full body pic would help. How old is the puppy? If she's really young, maybe the eye color is still adjusting? Also, her head seems more dachshund-like and the neck is slight. Could it be an American Dobe? I can only compare to my chunky Euro pup - I remember thinking he was like an overstuffed sausage with baseball bat legs - that puppy packed a punch even back then :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's exactly what I was thinking too, even though I've never seen a Dobe/Dachshund mix before. I guess it's not impossible though.

If she doesn't have papers about the only way you could find out for sure is to have a DNA test run. You can kits to do it at home and send it in for a pretty reasonable price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Why does she think she got scammed?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  14. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hey there.

To my eye, it could be a purebred Dobe; but I agree that it's too early to tell. If it's a Dobe, it seems to me it might wind up having a sort of slight snout that tends toward the snipey (My Doberman has this).

15. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

When Nero was a pup people always thought he was a dachshund from photos. But lets be honest, there's a HUGE paw and size difference.