1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Frequently Reported Diseases in Doberman Pinschers

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by FredC, Jun 1, 2015.

1. FredC

FredC Guest

The Doberman Pinscher
    The following diseases are reported to occur more frequently in the Doberman Pinscher than in the general dog population. In some cases the disease either has, or is believed to have, a genetic, hereditary cause but many of the diseases listed here do not have a proven genetic basis.

HOT NEWS In a report from Sweden the Doberman was listed as one of the Top 5 Breeds with the highest risk for developing gastrointestinal and skin diseases CLICK HERE for more information

If you do not find the disease that you are looking for in this list the disorder may not have been added yet, or it may not have been reported to occur more frequently in this breed than in the dog population as a whole. Try to find it through the search button. If you still can not find what you are looking for e-mail us at info@provet.co.uk and we will make the information available as soon as possible.

Alimentary tract diseases
    This section includes diseases that involve the mouth, oesophagus (gullet), stomach, small intestine (duodenum and ileum), large intestine (colon and rectum), liver and pancreas.

Diseases affecting the stomach

Diseases affecting the small intestine

Diseases affecting the large intestine

Blood diseases
    • Neutrophil defeciency ? -single report associated with chronic rhinitis
    • Von Willebrand's disease

Cancer
    • Brain tumours (primary)
    • Congenital tumour of the iris and ciliary body
    • Fibroma
    • Fibrosarcoma
    • Histiocytoma
    • Lipoma
    • Melanoma
    • Myxoma
    • Myxosarcoma
    • Skin tumours

Cardiovascular diseases

Heart muscle disease
    • Atrial septal defect
    • Dilated cardiomyopathy If you have a Doberman with this disease please enroll it in a study currently being conducted at the University of Liverpool (Click Here for more information)
    • Sudden death

Eye diseases

Diseases of the eyeball
    • Enophthalmos
    • Medial canthal pocket syndrome
    • Multiple ocular defects

Diseases of the eyelids

Diseases of the third eyelid (nictitating membrane)

Diseases of the iris
    • Congenital tumour of the iris and ciliary body
    Diseases of the lens
    Diseases of the retina
    • Generalised progressive retinal atrophy
    Other
    • Dermoid
    • Persistent hyaloid artery
    • Persistent hyperplastic tunica vasculosa lentis and hyperplastic primary vitreous (Netherlands)

Hormonal diseases

Immune system diseases

• Bullous pemphigoid
    • Pemphigus foliaceous

Kidney and Urinary tract diseases

Liver diseases
    • Chronic hepatitis
    • Portosystemic shunt (congenital)

Nervous system diseases
    • Brain tumours (primary)
    • Cervical spondylopathy
    • Dancing Doberman Disease
    • Deafness (congenital)
    • Narcolepsy
    • Sensory neuronopathy
    • Vestibular disease (congenital)

Orthopedic diseases

Reproductive disorders
    • Penile hypoplasia
    • Short gestation period (mean 61.4 days)
    • XO syndrome

Respiratory diseases
    • Chronic rhinitis and pneumonia (associated neutrophil deficiency)

Skin diseases

Other (Skin Related)
    • Sulfonamides (sulphonamides) - drug reaction - skin and polyarthropathy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Unfortunately, I have had my share of experience with several these :( with little experience in the breed. My first dobe I lost to DCM at just 6 years of age. Devastating disease. The rest of my experience is from with my sweet goober girl. I can check several of them as well as add a couple like Addison's. Hopefully the research continues and we can find cures or just eliminate most of them completely.

• Like Like x 2
  3. zoniezz

zoniezz Jr Member

I looked through the list you had and noticed there wasn't Von Willebrand disease........it affects 70% of the breed. I found this out when I took Izzy in for a check up before having her spayed.....

4. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It's on there

• Agree Agree x 1