• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Freedom @ 6 months growing pains ?

Liberty & Justice

Formerly Sophia's Justice
Hot Topics Subscriber
Hello all,

So Freedom is growing like a weed, too quickly if you ask me, I miss the huggable, portable, puppy in a women's purse kind of Doberman already. But I cannot complain as he's turning into a great boy. Stubborn at times, but heck what Dobie hasn't had it's challenges.

Anyways I meant to be brief. This Tuesday Freedom awoke to have a nice limp on his RF Leg. Assuming he slept on it wrong I ignored it to a point after examining him and not finding anything wrong ( cuts/thorns/bites ). Later that day it never healed, and now he is showing pain in his RR leg. Well this is great, when I picked him up to put him in the truck he yelped in pain. Now showing signs of his underbelly. Well this is serious I thought, called the vet, of course booked. Tried finding another vet within 100 miles and they either weren't taking new clients or booked 3 weeks out. Well how do you do, next the Breeder was on the call list. Of course diagnosing a puppy with an at times idiot describing the situation isn't a solid way to get a problem solved. With a few ideas of what it could be, now all I could do was wait. No Fever, no Vomit, no real signs of internal, eyes were clear, gums etc.

Carried on for a few days but now the pain is in just the RR leg and a sore belly area when I pick him up. Potty is normal/firm, he's eating but not as much as he had been. He's resting a lot too, not active at all. Finally Monday rolls around and I get him to the vet. Test after test, blood, fecal, and finally I asked for x-rays. Wouldn't you know it $700 later he get's a clean bill of health. Today he's running, eating like he was prior. I'm glad it was nothing but dang, 6 days of worry, only to find out it was maybe growing pains ? Does this sound normal, anyone else experience this ?

I'm glad he is back up and running! It doesn't sound exactly like anything mine went through precisely but she did have come-and-go lameness at times during her first year. Is it possible he took a tumble that you didn't see? I remember @Nutz complaining about young grumbles being quite lame on occasions as a youngster. Different legs with no reason apparent and it turned out that she was being clumsy running over some rocks near their pool and giving herself a good bang on a bony part! They go too fast for their own good sometimes! :)

I'm glad he is back up and running! It doesn't sound exactly like anything mine went through precisely but she did have come-and-go lameness at times during her first year. Is it possible he took a tumble that you didn't see? I remember @Nutz complaining about young grumbles being quite lame on occasions as a youngster. Different legs with no reason apparent and it turned out that she was being clumsy running over some rocks near their pool and giving herself a good bang on a bony part! They go too fast for their own good sometimes! :)
Well I thought of that too, and yes he’s very active and there are times he is out of my site in the mountains ( round a bend etc ).

had a blood test for Lymes,fecal test, and 2 x rays were 700 dollars.
Breeder thought a slim chance of pano but the x rays confirmed it as a no.

chalk it up to growing pains I suppose. I just don’t recall this with liberty and justice. Justice would limp from time to time but he was hard on his body.

Aww poor little guy, glad he is feeling better. Bedja had a little bit of limping too around that age, but it went away quickly and didn't cause much worry, nothing like what you described. Hope it doesn't come back.

Aww poor little guy, glad he is feeling better. Bedja had a little bit of limping too around that age, but it went away quickly and didn't cause much worry, nothing like what you described. Hope it doesn't come back.

It seems others have had similar issues but not as severe. Well I hope it doesn’t come back either. He has grown quite a bit in the last few weeks so if vets saying nothing wrong I guess I just need to move forward.

Breeder thought a slim chance of pano but the x rays confirmed it as a no.

chalk it up to growing pains I suppose.
Pano and growing pains are the same thing in my understanding of it. Our vet and breeder suggested an X-ray may not be conclusive at that early stage so we never had one done. Shifting lameness in legs, mostly happens to young males. Starts with growth spurt, coming and going until 18-24 months old. Puppy will rest themselves but require some pain management. My Kaiser had it show up around 5-6 months old. It happened to be that he also had regular loose stools so we were switching him from kibble to raw food around the time. It never happened again, but I’m convinced kibble with high protein percentage can cause it.

Pano and growing pains are the same thing in my understanding of it. Our vet and breeder suggested an X-ray may not be conclusive at that early stage so we never had one done. Shifting lameness in legs, mostly happens to young males. Starts with growth spurt, coming and going until 18-24 months old. Puppy will rest themselves but require some pain management. My Kaiser had it show up around 5-6 months old. It happened to be that he also had regular loose stools so we were switching him from kibble to raw food around the time. It never happened again, but I’m convinced kibble with high protein percentage can cause it.

Thank you for chiming in. I don't recall Justice ( my last male ) ever going thru such a thing. I understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense. Ironically he has had looser stools this past week as well, but he is still on a Raw diet, no switching. So what really got me into the vet was his underbelly pain. When I would pick him up to take him with me ( into vehicle ) he would let out a yelp. He leaves with me in the truck every day so it was nothing out of the ordinary for him. In fact he's in and out several times per day. Anyways, I had recently picked several ticks off him, and was thinking maybe lymes ? To sum it all up it was a waste of $700 bucks but at least I have some relief every night nothing is wrong with him. I opted for the xrays to rule out pano.

Shifting lameness in legs, mostly happens to young males.
I should have clarified that although it's not considered to be common, when it does happen, that it typically happens to males.
don't recall Justice ( my last male ) ever going thru such a thing
That said, @Tropicalbri's believes her female, Bacall, also had it. Both of our dogs are Euros, so I wonder if the heavier bone might have had something to do with it? I don't think there is a genetic component, because both Kaiser's brother and half-brother that we know about - neither of them had it. Basically, if it is pano, it is self-limiting, like normal growing pains, they grow out of it. It's good that you're not letting him jump into the truck and I would make sure he takes it easy in the stairs too.

Wow is he ever growing up!

It sounds like classic Pano and as stated, it should go away on it's own. None of our dogs have had it, thankfully, but there are a lot of things it can hinge on. Some swear it's food, some say it's just growing too fast, some say it's too much protein, etc. but it probably all varies from dog to dog.

I know I had big time growing pains when I was a kid and I'm only 5'1" so I probably wasn't growing too fast. :D

Wow is he ever growing up!

It sounds like classic Pano and as stated, it should go away on it's own. None of our dogs have had it, thankfully, but there are a lot of things it can hinge on. Some swear it's food, some say it's just growing too fast, some say it's too much protein, etc. but it probably all varies from dog to dog.
I know I had big time growing pains when I was a kid and I'm only 5'1" so I probably wasn't growing too fast. :D

Geez Jan I remember you being taller in person ! LOL

Well it wasn't anything really proven. Had the xray's done and the vet said it WASN'T pano. Apparently y they can tell by examining xray's and they said he looked perfectly normal. No idea what it was, he's fine now after 6 days later.

Back