1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Found a tick

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Ddski5, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Found a cool little 1mile hiking trail and Ragnar loves it. Always alert and scanning the area while running crazy. Have to be careful running offleash through there because one day another dog may come down the trail the other way.

Got home and found a tick latched right under his ear. I thought, no big deal, get tweezers and go as close to the skin and pull off- easy enough, I am sure the tick head and hooks came off.

Problem is that it was 10days ago and he still has a bump and raised scab there. Last night I shaved the hair back and scraped the scab off. Got the tweezers and dug in sore to make sure there was nothing in there. Put some Bactraban on it.

Is it common for the tick bite to take a long time to heal like that?

2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Speaking from experience from both Jazz and myself, yes it seems pretty common for the bite site to be inflamed and slow to heal. Itchy too! I think they might inject something to keep the blood flowing like leeches do and this is what sets up that reaction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. crypticintent

crypticintent Hot Topics Subscriber

My last dog took forever to heal on a tick.

We've taken Ezri out but haven't had too many problems.

Although ticks and me are a fun story, peeing in morse code is not fun......

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

I found a tick on Jasper once and it took quite a long time to heal. It was a scab for a while. The hair didn't grow back either but its not noticeable thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It's not at all unusual. The bites heal pretty quickly with our dogs but I'm another story so we all react differently.

6. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Initial post was Dec31st.

Was getting worried for awhile because it hardened and raised up like a large wart.

The bump has finally went down.
    It took over a month.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Good to hear! Jaspers tick bite took a long time to heal too. It was worrisome.

Has his fur started to grow back where the bite was? My guy still has a small bald spot and he was bit like 7mths ago.

8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Ticks Suck! :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Had to rate that comment funny because we know the back story, but I also wanted to hit the agree button!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1