1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Food... grain free or otherwise.

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by raym0016, Jun 21, 2019.

1. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

Please can someone give me some advice? My breeder was feeding Farmina N&D grain free chicken and pomegranate maxi breed puppy food, so I have continued. At the vet today for final ear stitches removal, my Vet said I need to stop feeding grain free because of the increased risk of cardio problems. Now, farmina is not your typical grain free food, but it is quite expensive so I am wondering what the forum thinks? Is this Ultra high quality Grain free food good or no? Side note, he has been going through some loose stools and now diarrhea this week, I am awaiting a fecal test. I feed him 3 cups per day (3 1 cup feedings), he is 19.4 lbs and just over 9 weeks old. What do you feed your Dobies? Grain free or no? Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

A lot of debate has been had over grain free vs grain. I know several members here feed grain kibble.

I personally feed a raw diet, with 2 days out of the week kibble. (Orijen Six Fish). However I only feed kibble when anchovies aren’t in season.

However their are several members here who can help you @strykerdobe and @Tropicalbri's

3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hey there!

There is a study that brought up a possible link between grain-free and DCM.

My current male struggled with loose and excessive stools his whole life as I had him on a variety of quality grain-free foods over time.

It so happens that his reputable breeder said on social media they were switching their Dobes to Pro Plan Sport (purple bag, 30g protein, 20g fat). I forget their reason.

Having tried, and willing to try, many things in my on-and-off quest to improve his g.i. problems, I switched too.

Bear in mind he had lost weight on several quality foods I'd tried.

Well, Oji's stools have never been better – not even close! They are, for the most part, firm and much lower in volume! What's more, his appetite is less crazy voracious and I've backed his amount down close to the recommended amount. He does not seem to have lost weight.

So, while I am not oblivious to the fact Pro Plan is looked down upon by the enlightened dog fancier, I have never been happier – and am saving money!

If you have an open mind, try it. It might not be right for your Dobe as it appears to be for mine; but it might.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

We don't feed Kibble anymore. We Raw feed.

But yes I would not feed those foods (especially to a breed of dog that has a great possibility of DCM) with the suspected ingredients they are looking at. There are also other ingredients I would not feed. Like any Corn, Wheat or Soy of any kind!

But I also believe in supplementing (with certain supplments) Dobes starting at 1yr old

But if you are going to feed Kibble I would look for one that doesn't have the suspected ingredients (Legumes, Peas and potatoes) they are looking at.

I do like Farmina.

If this is the exact one?
    Looking at Farmina N&D Chicken & Pomegranate Puppy Medium & Maxi I see none of those ingredients.
    Farmina Pet Foods - Dog food - N&D Ancestral Grain Canine - Chicken & Pomegranate Puppy Medium & Maxi

No Grains
    Farmina Pet Foods - Dog food - N&D Prime Canine

5. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. strykerdobe

Ok it does have potatoes and pea fiber. But they are also adding in Taurine and L-Carnitine which are good for the Heart.

ingredients

boneless chicken, dehydrated chicken, sweet potatoes, chicken fat, dried whole eggs, herring, dehydrated herring, herring oil, pea fiber, dried carrot, suncured alfalfa meal, chicken cartilage (source of glucosamine hydrochloride and chondroitin sulfate), inulin, fructooligosaccharide, yeast extract, dried pomegranate, dried apple, dried spinach, psyllium seed husk, dried sweet orange, dried blueberry, salt, brewers dried yeast, turmeric, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, choline chloride, beta-carotene, zinc methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, manganese methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, ferrous glycine, copper methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, selenium yeast, DL-Methionine, taurine, L-Carnitine, aloe vera gel concentrate, green tea extract, rosemary extract, mixed tocopherols (a preservative).

Maybe change to the one I mentioned above.
    Farmina Pet Foods - Dog food - N&D Ancestral Grain Canine - Chicken & Pomegranate Puppy Medium & Maxi
    ingredients

boneless chicken, dehydrated chicken, whole spelt, whole oats, chicken fat, dried whole eggs, herring, dehydrated herring, dried beet pulp, herring oil, dried carrot, suncured alfalfa meal, chicken cartilage (source of glucosamine hydrochloride and chondroitin sulfate), inulin, fructooligosaccharide, yeast extract, dried pomegranate, dried apple, dried spinach, psyllium seed husk, dried sweet orange, dried blueberry, salt, brewers dried yeast, turmeric, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, choline chloride, beta-carotene, zinc methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, manganese methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, ferrous glycine, copper methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, selenium yeast, DL-Methionine, taurine, L-Carnitine, aloe vera gel concentrate, green tea extract, rosemary extract, mixed tocopherols (a preservative).

7. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

Still having issues with diarrhea. The fecal tests all came back negative. I am questioning the food and still may consider a switch but I think I may have caused this issue myself. I have been feeding way too much. My breeder said 2 cups/day. I bumped that up to 3 cups per day and he is only 19.5 lbs and 9 weeks old... Farmina recommends 1.5 cups per day for a 22 lb puppy. So I have essentially doubled this without realizing. Is it possible that this is the cause of Ramsey’s issues? I see zero other symptoms of anything abnormal. He’s happy, rambunctious, and active. He sleeps normally and drinks normally. So, time to cut back, a lot. Any suggestions as to how to cut back? Should I skip a meal or two to give his stomach some time to shrink back a bit or should I just feed less?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Logan 45

Logan 45 Jr Member

While I have fed Purina pro plan sport to decent results and it is nice to have a the flavor variety of chicken and salmon I will say that victor hi pro plus and 4 health performance are cheaper and don’t have corn or by product meal. Just fruit for thought.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Logan 45

Logan 45 Jr Member

As far as kibble is concerned for a puppy victor high energy formula is and all life stage kibble and is 4-5 star rated on dog food advisor it is grain inclusive while being free of corn wheat and soy . It also falls under 26% protein at 24% protein 20% fat which I’ve seen on the forum here and other places Dobermans kidneys can be sensitive to protein levels above 26% I’m sure I will be corrected if I’m off the mark on that fact.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Never go off of the bag for recommended amount especially when puppies. We were feeding up to 6 cups a day at times when all of ours were puppies. Amount will very between adult dogs too, ours all get slightly different amounts at each feeding. Most get 1cup twice a day but Blaze gets 2 cups twice a day. He has a much higher metabolism than the others. Find a good 4-5 star rated food and slowly switch to it. Stay away from grain free. Loose stools at an early age are common and can be brought on by many things including stress and change if there routine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

@Doberman Gang do you feed victor? I know you’ve posted on several threads what you feed but I forget. Thank you

12. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Extreme athlete by Diamond with Vertex supplement. Occasionally I have also used Kinetic performance dog food.

13. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Thank you. I always get Victor and Diamond mixed up.

14. strykerdobe

Try feeding the recommended amount per day and divided up in 3 meals and see if that helps with the issue. Recommend amounts listed our just starting points. Each dog is different. Depending on quality of food, metabolism. Puppies I would feed 3x’s a day.

15. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Member

i will say this i have had ace on the victor ( Grain free ) for 2 1/2 3 months now. i have tried to many brands with him and a doberman at 19 months 271/2 inches tall and the only thing he has was soft runny poops and throw up weighs 58-59 lbs was not good for him at all. i made the choice to go grain free in this short time he has gone to solid poops and now at 70 lbs. 2 cups in the am 2 cups at night. he is very active runs with the golf cart and has 5 acres he patrols of his home. now mind you he was in the vet 2 weeks ago and we kinda butted heads a bit about the grain free but i was not going to put him on science diet just to please my vet. after i brought in the bag and he really looked at it. he to thought we would give this a victor a go for awhile and see how ace does on it. ( vet finally agreed that just maybe he is best on grain free ) he also has colitis no flare ups since on this food..

• Like Like x 2
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Awesome that you stood up against your vet! If Ace is stable on this food, then I think that’s a good enough reason to stay on it.

• Agree Agree x 1