Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Florida Passes Ban on Greyhound Racing

Discussion in 'Breed Specific Legislation' started by LifeofRubie, Nov 7, 2018.

1. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I think this can be seen in Dobes, too. Think of the NA Doberman who's prey/protection drive is generally assumed to be lower. That's because they're bred for a ring temperament. The general assumption is that if you want to work in IPO/Schutzhund, you get something with a European influence. I suspect that because those sports are much more popular over there so that's what people want and that's what they're bred for.

as far as doing any training with your dog, my response is it helps build a bond and trust. We don't title dogs because they appreciate it but it shows the world what we've been able to accomplish with countless hours of training with each other. We've put in the time and effort to go above and beyond 'normal' dog ownership. That's what I tell Dog Dad anyway :woot2:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

There’s been a string of accidents, horses falling and being euthanized.
    PETA is stepping up calling for banning horse racing.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I would add here, going to @Ravenbird 's and @LifeofRubie 's points:

There are people who do strive to work their breed in its intended purpose (or at least a sport that is related). That's the kind of Doberman breeder I have gone with the last two times.

You see this in other breeds as well. I know of some working American Bulldog breeders who do IPO and weight pulling – just an example. Of course, this is not all that similar to the breed's original purpose, but I suppose we don't want to get back into a whole lot of bull baiting. I know some people do boar hunting though.

There's nothing wrong with agility and obedience and barn hunt and other neat stuff, of course! In terms of keeping a breed's intended character, temperament and capabilities alive though, it makes sense to work them in those areas.

As for Greyhounds: How about lure coursing?

4. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

@Gelcoater - I've never lost interest in horse racing, and was in it personally in one way or other from 1985 til 2004. I still keep up with it daily. The Santa Anita thing is tragic, but all the evidence seems to point to the fact that that track got a tremendous amount of rain in a couple of months during which it was open for training and racing. They opted not to completely resurface the track because they claimed it would be OK since the wet weather is pretty much past. No other tracks in CA. had these kinds of breakdowns with the same amount of rain because they weren't open with those numbers of horses training in the morning + racing in the afternoon, thus no break for the track base to recover. The base is not touched by the tractors you see between races. Heartwrenching to me, and holding my breath now, and especially since the Breeders Cup is at SA this fall, I certainly hope it was just the rain. Many people ask why they don't lay a track that can take the rain, like those back east, but those tracks are sandy, and you know what sand is like when it doesn't get rain, too dry, deep and then you have injuries in a different ballpark. I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think that horse racing will shut down in our lifetime. People ask how I can support it and sometimes I have to ask myself. Non-horse people don't understand that unlike most other 4-legged animals, a bad fracture in a leg almost always ends in death due to complications. Some people think the owners just don't care or want to put the money into saving them since their race career is over, but that's not the case at all. It's complicated and there is no sense in me getting so far off topic, so I won't go on. In a nutshell, horse racing and greyhound racing is misunderstood by the general public kinda like they look at dobermans as killers and cropping ears and tails makes us all evil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

The problem with agility and barn hunt and dock diving, etc., is that it IS an issue in the eyes of ARs activists. You are competing against other dogs and handlers, usually in a timed type activity, for YOUR and spectator benefit and 'against the dogs will,' as they would put it, for prizes.

We frequent the race track during their season around here. We've seen horses take spills and one of which did result in the animal being put down. It is certainly an ugly side of racing but as @Ravenbird pointed out, it's almost doing the animal a disservice trying to fix the injury. I believe there have been some instances of racehorses with injuries that have been saved but they've been very accomplished, famous racehorses near retirement.

I think it was American Pharoah who caused some stir... he won the triple crown and then his owners continued to race him. I believe winning the trip crown is basically a fast track to retirement and stud services; they don't typically want to risk any injuries on a horse so valuable but I could be mistaken.

• Like Like x 1