Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Florida Passes Ban on Greyhound Racing

Discussion in 'Breed Specific Legislation' started by LifeofRubie, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Unfortunately you are correct on this. The pensioners i took in were for experienced riders only. If you get lax and don’t read their body language, they will get their head and take off with you and it can become dangerous. I had a few that took to the trail easily and some that spooked at everything. It’s a lot of work but the ones that make it are what inspires you to keep trying.
    None of the racers at my barn were stalled for 23 hrs. They were on a walker or in paddocks grazing and getting exercise. Cold weather made them frisky and I use that term lightly. They can be bat sh*t crazy coming out of the stall on a frosty morning and a handful to handle.
    I had an oval on my farm to exercise them, hot walk after, then a misting of water and then into a turn in turn out shelter.
    I had one bite the crap out of me and almost pulled me over the fence rail. My first Doberman Rocky sprung into action and nipped the horse on his muzzle to get him to release me. Rocky was awesome around the horses and would patrol the barn. I had 32 stalls with a wash stall and they were back to back in the center of my barn which allowed for hot walking during crap weather. The barn was attached to my house. During Steeplechase season the horses started arriving at my barn end of Feb. beginning of March for continued training for the Carolina Cup in Camden. SC that is in April and then again in fall when the Colonial Cup races occurred.
    They run the circuit from North to South and back again throughout the year.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Of course I know that if YOU have something to do with it, it’s for the best of the animals! There are good farms but the horses kept at the tracks are mostly kept under lock and key a majority of the time (as you know) and there are definitely some solid ones that actually benefit from exposure to the sights and sounds of living on a track but others that as you say, are just nuts! Lol

I looked at a QH racer once as a potential prospect, a gorgeous horse conformationally and a sweet nature but the worst pasterns I’ve ever seen. He was also VERY high strung under saddle, to be expected, he probably would’ve calmed down with time but unfortunately the pasterns were the decision maker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

I bought a Cutting mare. She did not have a nice looking head but she was an incredible athlete. 1/2 TB 1/2 Quarter. I called her Maudine.
    She hated men to the point of ears pinned and attempting to bite if they walked by her stall or tried to approach in a paddock. In cutting competitions I had to flag her mane and tail to let others know she was a biter and kicker.

This horse would get so low working a cow that my stirrups would actually touch the ground in the arena.
    She had great endurance but she was a cold back. Once tacked up, plan on her bucking for at least 5-10 min. She did this EVERY SINGLE TIME I rode her but I loved that horse. She had a very spirited nature and was competitive with everything.
    My Roper was a bit lazy on trailing but on roping he was spot on. When we would trail ride and get to an open space we would kick up to a fast canter. He was notorious for crow footing at a run and then bucking you off. I had to be on my guard with him. Many a time he put me on the ground when I got too comfortable.:D
    He was a J Bar quarter horse. I bought him in Texas.
    I really miss having horses!!:(

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  4. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Borrowed from FB
    Jennifer Sandvig

"Well.......I hope that if you like Greyhounds that you choose to buy one soon, because the breed as we know it is soon to be only in history.

Tonight Florida voted to prevent an entire breed of dog from doing the thing that makes their blood sing. The thing that inherently brings them joy. The one thing that speaks to the genes that they carry forward with them from ancestors long since passed.

Tonight Florida voted to ban Greyhound racing. 13 of the 18 tracks in the US are in Florida. This will effectively eliminate the industry.

An estimated 8,000 dogs are going to be in need of new homes. Hundreds of generations of careful breeding dedicated to genetic diversity and creating a pinnacle athlete have now been marked for extinction by mobs of ignorant people that don't have any idea what they just voted for. These dogs will be sold through rescue, and they will be altered. The Greyhounds that will be available in the future will be produced with a very different end goal in mind. This is the end of the NGA Greyhound. That dog that so many of us recognize as being excellent family pets, stunning athletes, and beautiful animals that are reliably stable in temperament and notoriously easy to live with. If they were so horribly abused at the track, why are so many of them so well adjusted in their life post racing?

My heart hurts.

This is a dark day for Greyhounds. This is a dark day for dogs.....and the people who really love them. [​IMG]"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  5. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

My neighbor has a couple of greyhounds...we've lived here about 6 yrs and I have only heard them bark (like one bark) a handful of times. At one point I thought they no longer had dogs....I NEVER hear them (Unlike MY LOUD MOUTHS :anonymous :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  6. Tropicalbri's

Thinking of horses has me wanting one in Roatan. Those poor horses look awful!! It would be great to get one back in excellent health and start training it to trail.
    Another place I loved to go was Middleburg, Va. The hunt events were soooo much fun. Damn I miss the smell of horse :poop: and hay.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Little by little.

What will be next? Horse racing?

Dog shows?

Other dog sports?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tropicalbri's

They already send out flyers to those entering their dogs in dog shows out West warning that AR people are expected to be there. They tell every owner to keep their crates locked and keep a close eye on their dogs because the AR people are opening crates and releasing the dogs. Who does this?!? These people are insane!! They don’t care about animals or animal rights otherwise they would not release them to be hit by cars and something worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yep because no one is putting up a fight to stop the AR wacko train. It's a train that has lots of money pushing it along.
    I did hear of this ban before the election and not a peep out of dog racing supporters. Are they not taking this seriously? Becoming outraged after the fact is not going to work out so well. Dog racing is already banned in about 40 states. Getting mad now might just be too little too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

So it begins...

[​IMG]

• Wow x 1
  11. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

:rolleyes:

What is with people? Um.........I better not start. I could get REALLY pissed. Might just get ugly. :blush-alt:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I’m not happy about this. Is IPO, FRENCH RING, PSA, BARN HUNT, LURE COURSING, etc next ?
    Why even have breeds anymore, if they aren’t supposed to live up to what WE bred them for ? Just to look good ? Ridiculous. At that point, there really isn’t one. What is more sad is people don’t get that dogs like to do this ! Run! Or work. No now a dog is just there to be there at OUR convenience! Such shit.
    I know my dogs would hate life if they didn’t get to do what they were bred for and my horses would hate it as well !
    That’s like telling a person not to think and enjoy it.
    I’m sorry I’m ranting but the fat dog trend needs to end.
    If a dog was bred to run then let it !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes don't get me started!!!!!!!!!!!
    These people are :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

If it was up to them, there would be no breeds and no pet 'ownership!'

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tropicalbri's

That’s what they are working toward. Imagine those AR people with their cute little purse pooches all dressed up with no training realizing THEY cannot have a pet anymore. Most don’t realize that all that money donated to AR groups goes into the pockets of the CEO and other admins. Very little goes to the care of these poor animals you see in the commercials on TV. They use those as shock value to get people to pay up. It’s emotional blackmail and I find it incredulous that people actually give without seeing exactly where their money goes!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

I have spent years and years of my life in the race horse business and there is always good bad and ugly. I'm sure the same with greyhounds. The animals themselves are not so much affected by their careers in racing but by their care, and believe me, many of those trainers with nothing in their pockets will feed their animals before they feed themselves. Everyone who has ever worked on the backside of a race track knows that if the horse or dog doesn't get the best of care that's one more tick down from the winners circle. I knew a couple that raised NGA greyhounds and they were stunning. Some went to the track and some didn't. Several went on long trail rides with us on horseback. They'd see a rabbit or a deer and take off (this was in the boonies, oil field roads, no cars) - what a sight to behold! The REAL problem with the racing ban on dogs is the loss of a breed - this dog has been bred for running and what you see in the AKC ring has nothing to do with NGA greyhounds. Night and Day. Same with borzoi, trot along and look pretty, but the drive is gone the muscle is gone, the prey drive is gone, the DOG is gone. I weep to think of this magnificent dog reduced to lead & feed show ring status. And when NGA is gone, so the breed will be as well. I know this is an old post, and I'm new here and scrolling along, but this one trips a trigger. Rant done!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Wow. Quite a thought proffered up above – that the Greyhound might disappear as we know it. What a giant shame that would be. I admit I am unclear on the breed's history, but I've read that it is an ancient breed gong back to the Egyptians. ?

I was talking to a fellow parent at school while the kids played. I talked about the lines Oji comes from and quickly described what Schutzhund / IPO is. Her response to my talking about the bitework was "Why?" I didn't have a ready response for her, but I did say it is protection work, and that there is also obedience and tracking as the other two key areas of it. A moment later, I added that the sport originated in Germany as a breeding suitability test for German Shepherds. She then told me she doesn't like breeding.

Anyway, I guess if a breed is pretty much only bred for a particular sport or service and that sport or service is outlawed, I can see how the gene pool might atrophy quickly.

But there are Greyhounds bred just for the conformation ring, aren't there?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

@Oh Little Oji, yes there are AKC greyhounds for show and NGA greyhounds for racing. The downfall of many breeds is for fashion and looks and lack of purpose. If purpose comes first, then they can usually fit into other niches as well. The TB racehorse can be too slow at the track but make a fine hunter/jumper/dressage/trail horse. A halter quarter horse, can rarely perform in barrels or cow work. The bulldog was bred to hold and bring down a full grown bull, but that game was outlawed and so they were bred for pets and the more extreme in their looks, the more the judges awarded them. Now they are so deformed they can't function. They can't breed naturally and they can't whelp because the puppies heads are too big. Those are extreme examples, just saying when a horse or a dog is just bred for extreme type and judges opinions, you eventually lose the original dog. I've never owned a greyhound but I've known a few, and I do believe they were used in the development of our beloved Dobermans. I don't mind shows, they are fun and have their purpose, but I think the health of the animal comes first and when they don't have to be tested for performance that's when (in my opinion) everything starts falling apart.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I hate quoting myself, but anyone hear what’s going on at Santa Anita here in so Cal? ;)
    Told ya!

20. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

No, please elaborate!