• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Flirt pole tactics

AnnV

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I have to laugh when watching some of the Youtube videos with dogs running after the flirt pole toy. Almost looks like some sort of relaxation exercise for the dog.

I have Bedja sit before starting, because his energy is exploding when he sees the pole. I walk some yards away before releasing him, then he comes flying like a fired bullet!!
You wouldn't believe the speed. If he would miss and hit me, my bones would disassemble in the air and land in a heap on the ground. But then I picture it like in a cartoon, swiftly reassembling right away haha.

But, after one or two catches he positions himself right at my feet almost stepping on them, his back turned towards me and lunging for the cord, not the toy. He carefully calculates and waits for the right moment. This way he can avoid running or working to catch it.

So the only way to get him to run after the toy is to put him in a sit or down and put distance between us.

Anyone else experience this? or have some tips how to not be outsmarted like this:rofl:

What are you using for a flirt pole? I made a large 7ft one out of conduit and paracord.

I would probably give a correction for that. Use a prong collar with a short pull tab. Pop it with a firm “no” and make him sit. I also taught Jasper to back up on command to get some space before I release him again. Once he sits and focuses on me I release him.

Be very careful. Jasper gets in the zone and after he is released he goes right for the rope. So when I change directions sometimes he turns and runs right into me. It is extremely painful! I use the long pole so I have extra space. Now I need a bigger yard lmao.

Not sure on your situation, I would have to see how you are using the flirt pole. I always start dogs/puppies either on a back tie or having some one holding them back with a long line on harness. Then you make the toy active in front of them but just out of their reach. This builds frustration, if they bark they get it. Once they understand barking wins the toy we then will begin fighting (playing tug back and forth) after each win. Dog always gets the toy at the end of the fight.
I also bought this for my Club to let there dogs play on occasion. E6A2DD78-A00A-409C-9CC7-9E0D8E7492D1.jpeg 090910A7-4E1F-44CE-8E6C-E19DA175D779.jpeg 424FC197-BAAD-429E-819B-3FEBF48989D4.jpeg 32A3458C-6536-467B-BE24-CEC402CA5AC8.jpeg 7EE5E2BB-D07C-4E05-99BC-E183E1D01DC6.jpeg 091D8915-3E73-4C9D-82BD-6379ABAA1CD1.jpeg

I have used this pole, which I understand now is much too short,tempImageBxXWyW.png 36" pole, 52" cord.
7ft like @Lizbeli has would make much more sense.

Interesting @Doberman Gang you have a stationary pole, I haven't seen that before. That is of course something completely different, which I don't have knowledge about. That wouldn't have anything to do with the dog chasing the object as it looks, but just bite?
Will see if I can video Bedja at some point, requires someone else to hold the camera...

Are you standing on the ground at the same level as Bedja? I tried that and it seemed hazardous haha. Then I moved to the deck while he was on the ground and it was way easier. I went looking for pics so you could see my pole...the green string is bunched up so its adjustable and enables me to pull the toy out of his reach while preventing him from getting caught up in the rope.

Random photo of the day - 2018 - post yours!

I did find the thinner blue pipe to be too flexible...almost like a fishing line. I changed that one out to a wider black PVC pipe which didn't bend at all and found that gave me more control.

Are you standing on the ground at the same level as Bedja?
Random photo of the day - 2018 - post yours!
Yes, I'm on same ground level with a too short pole. Time for a trip to Home Depot or similar.
There is a deck on top of our sun porch but it would be too high up (second floor level) and large glass windows under so wouldn't work for us.

Those pics of Kaiser are price less. His face:rofl::rofl: you almost feel sorry for the poor thing:rofl:.

Yes, I'm on same ground level with a too short pole. Time for a trip to Home Depot or similar.
There is a deck on top of our sun porch but it would be too high up (second floor level) and large glass windows under so wouldn't work for us.

Those pics of Kaiser are price less. His face:rofl::rofl: you almost feel sorry for the poor thing:rofl:.
Lol “almost” is the keyword. Been trapped inside with this dog for 2 weeks :pullhair:

I simply give the command that means do not put your mouth on it. Then, when I'm ready for him to go after it, I give him the release command. It's great training.

I often rest the toy on his head, or bonk it on him in various places – under the belly, on the hind end back there, you name it. He's not allowed to go for a bite until released.

When I do release him to try to bite the toy, I jerk it away a 1/4 second after the command, making him miss and chase it.

When he does achieve a capture, I let him take the toy over and lay with it and chew it for a moment. I have not been successful in stopping him from making this a tug-of-war, though, as I let him walk (drag me) over to where he wants to lay and chew his prize. In my mind, it should not be a tug of war between us. Once he captures the toy he's got it, and he's allowed to enjoy it for a moment. It's not a tug game. Alas, he always drags me.

After a moment of chewing and resting, I give the command that means immediately spit it out, and I then walk us over to where I begin another session.

I simply give the command that means do not put your mouth on it. Then, when I'm ready for him to go after it, I give him the release command. It's great training.

Bedja does sit and wait before release. Then he gets to chase, once he catches it he gets it, then I give the out-command which he obeys.
He is more interested in chewing the end of the cord where the toy is attached rather than grabbing the toy itself.

There is the issue of him crowding my space after the release as he tries catching the end of the cord from where I'm standing, from inside the center of the "circle", instead of chasing at outer edge of the same circle. He tries to preserve his valuable energy hahaha.

Last edited:

I often rest the toy on his head, or bonk it on him in various places – under the belly, on the hind end back there, you name it. He's not allowed to go for a bite until released.

When I do release him to try to bite the toy, I jerk it away a 1/4 second after the command, making him miss and chase it.

When he does achieve a capture, I let him take the toy over and lay with it and chew it for a moment. I have not been successful in stopping him from making this a tug-of-war, though, as I let him walk (drag me) over to where he wants to lay and chew his prize. In my mind, it should not be a tug of war between us. Once he captures the toy he's got it, and he's allowed to enjoy it for a moment. It's not a tug game. Alas, he always drags me.

After a moment of chewing and resting, I give the command that means immediately spit it out, and I then walk us over to where I begin another session.
Sounds like the typical, "I got the toy!" dog!:yatta:

Bedja does sit and wait before release. Then he gets to chase, once he catches it he gets it, then I give the out-command which he obeys.
He is more interested in chewing the end of the cord where the toy is attached rather than grabbing the toy itself.

There is the issue of him crowding my space after the release as he tries catching the end of the cord from where I'm standing, from inside the center of the "circle", instead of chasing at outer edge of the same circle. He tries to preserve his valuable energy hahaha.
Oji does that preserving of his energy thing in life, too. :facepalm: He needs it to keep up his quota of pacing and whining in the house.

Well, I guess Oji crowds me at times too. I don't find it a problem. It's when I am spinning around in circles and he is being more efficient by running around close to me instead of out where the toy is swinging. I just make sure I always have slightly bent knees for my safety.

Now, if he was to go for the string, that would be a problem, so I see your predicament. He has sort of just happened to catch the string once in a while but thankfully has not caught on that he could always do it. He has also happened to catch the pole itself sometimes. He then usually traps it to the ground with a paw.

Back