1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Flea and tick medication side effects

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by dsut, Jan 2, 2020.

1. dsut

dsut New Member

My Dobe was given Bravecto by the breeder at 6 weeks (way too early I know!) and I’ve been giving it every 3 months after that. She’s a year old so on her 4th dose.
    I have noticed some breathing difficulties recently and a strange cough, watery eyes with discharge, off her food and general irritability. Not sure if this is linked to Bravecto and wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like It.
    She’s also been super hyper and hard to manage since we got her at 6 weeks (too young I’m aware) and wondering if perhaps the medication could have something to do with it. It seems to be getting worse with every dose, which is why I’m only now starting to connect the dots.

2. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

If you are noticing side effects in relation to the flea and tick meds, I would stop them immediately. There are some natural prevention methods on page 2 of this link. Also you can read about FDA warnings on the first page. I personally use wondercide for years now and have had no issues. It is strong since it uses natural essential oils so if you are sensitive to smells it may be offputting on application.

Flea and tick prevention.

What does the vet think about her cough?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. dsut

dsut New Member

Thanks for your reply. I have unfortunately just given her another tablet but this will be the last one for sure! Vet diagnosed kennel cough 3 months ago and put her on steroids/antibiotics but even at the time I wasn’t convinced. She had an episode where she sounded like she was choking and struggled to get up which seemed like a seizure to me but the vet didn’t agree. The symptoms improved as the med wore off but now that I’ve given her another dose the cough is back and I’m convinced it’s due toBravecto. Been giving her milk thistle for liver support and will have a look at natural tick and flea remedies. Thank you!

4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow that's pretty scary but hopefully all of those symptoms will go away when you discontinue the Bravecto. That's not the first time I've heard about side effects with it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

@dsut

I would also fill out a complaint with the FDA!

Back in September of 2018 the FDA sent out an Alert on these.

Neurologic Event Potential Associated with Certain Flea/Tick Products

With any Flea, Tick and Heartworm preventative meds. There is a possibility of a reaction. Do I use any of them NO! Heartworm we test 2x's a year. Sometime in May and sometime in November. Areas where the temps drop below 57deg the Heartworm does not develop in the mosquito. So you don't even need to give Heartworm preventative all year round. I use lots of Natural things like Wondercide. There is also Cedarcide and others. We also use Springtime Garlic, Essential oils.
    #1 they are all Pesticides!
    #2 they all work on the nervous system of Fleas, Ticks and Heartworm.

This link will take you to the FDA site
    Animal Drug Safety Communication: FDA Alerts Pet Owners ...
    https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm...
    Sep 20, 2018 · Animal Drug Safety Communication: FDA Alerts Pet Owners and Veterinarians About Potential for Neurologic Adverse Events Associated with Certain Flea and Tick Products

Good article with lots of info!
    New FDA Warning About Flea And Tick Medications
    New AVMA Policy On Annual Rabies Vaccinationfda-warning-about-flea...
    The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning dog owners about flea and tick medications. This comes after reports of the drugs causing serious adverse reactions. Is the FDA finally paying attention to how dangerous these meds can be for dogs? Don’t get too excited … they’re not. The …

[​IMG]
    New FDA Warning About Flea And Tick Medications
    [​IMG]
    By: Emily Vey -

Reading Time: 7 minutes
    The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning dog owners about flea and tick medications. This comes after reports of the drugs causing serious adverse reactions.

Is the FDA finally paying attention to how dangerous these meds can be for dogs?

Don’t get too excited … they’re not.

The FDA Report
    Last month, the FDA stated that flea and tick meds are causing neurologic issues in pets. The symptoms most often reported include muscle tremors, ataxia and seizures.

The FDA stated that flea and tick meds are causing neurologic issues in pets. The symptoms most often reported include muscle tremors, ataxia and seizures.

The side effects reported for these drugs are:

• Tremors
    • Seizures
    • Ataxia
    • Vomiting
    • Diarrhea
    • Loss of appetite
    • Skin irritations
    • Lethargy
    According to the FDA, the products affected are:

• Bravecto
    • Nexgard
    • Simparica
    • Credelio (received FDA approval in 2018)
    These drugs all contain an ingredient called isoxazoline.

How Do These Drugs Work?
    Isoxazolines are non-competitive GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) receptor antagonists. This means they bind to chloride channels inside the flea or tick. They then block nerve signals … which will paralyze and kill the bugs.

When you give your dog Isoxazolines, they work systemically. This means they affect the entire body. They’re absorbed into his blood. When fleas and ticks feast on your dog’s blood, they also eat the chemicals Isoxazolines. They become paralyzed and die.
    [​IMG]

What Are The Dangers For Your Dog?
    The problem with poisoning fleas and ticks is that you have to first poison the host … that’s your dog.

The problem with poisoning fleas and ticks is that you have to first poison the host … that’s your dog.

The premise behind Isoxazolines is that your dog is a lot larger than a flea … it’s assumed a little bit of poison won’t hurt him. And that might be true in most cases.

The problem is, nobody has asked this question … what happens if I give my dog a small amount of poison every month for years?

While there is some testing on the safety of these drugs, the safety studies have only been for a few months. That’s a problem.

The second problem is the FDA doesn’t believe tremors and ataxia are something to worry about. But these symptoms show that dogs are being poisoned along with their pests … just at a slower rate. They’re suffering the same neurological issues that kill their fleas and ticks.

In reality, every dog is at risk.

What Vets Say About Flea And Tick Meds
    Dr Tamara Hebbler

[​IMG]
    “This is no surprise. Every known insecticide/pesticide chemical has been shown to have severe neurological side-effects.

I’ve been practicing for 20 years. My first question for seizure patients is about insecticides in the home. I mean oral, topical and environmental. We’ll likely never adequately be able to keep up with insect resistance mutations. And toxicity build up is real and has real impacts. We all need to use safe natural alternatives and educate and empower ourselves.”

Dr Josie Beug

[​IMG]
    “The public assumes the FDA adequately tests new products to see if they’re safe. I’ve learned to “wait and see” for a couple years after the release of new pharmaceuticals. The safety testing is usually only done over a few months. But people are using these products monthly for years at a time on their animals.

All of the flea and tick preventatives are toxic, they’re made to kill insects after all.

A few weeks ago I had a seizure case referred to me. It was a 1 year old dog, rescued from the streets in North Carolina. He was neutered and vaccinated by the shelter, then fostered until a nice woman came and adopted him. She had him for about a month before she administered Bravecto to him for flea and tick preventative. Three days later he seizured for the first time, not once or twice but four times in a row. She took him to a veterinary teaching hospital. Then another acupuncturist and then to the local neurologist. No structural abnormalities were found on the MRI. The problem was, the dog was not responding to any of the treatments. This included quadruple doses of multiple anticonvulsants. He continued to have cluster seizures 1-2 times a week. The longest he has gone seizure free is 10 days, after starting CBD. No one told her not to use Bravecto and she applied it a second time.

And now the announcement from the FDA.

The second problem is, it’s very hard to prove the Bravecto or any other toxin caused the seizures. That’s how these companies get away with no repercussions. I actually have 5 other cases of dogs and cats with neurological signs and ocular signs. These cases coincide with heavy organophosphate spraying for mosquito control. Again, proving cause and effect is difficult. City and county governments continue spraying, even after public protests and hearings. The public outcry made a difference. Now they’re no longer publicly announcing spray dates. Great.

We must all stay vigilant and research products and testing. If you’re unsure, use something you know will do no harm. I recommend returning those products to the manufacture, demanding a refund. And please call and report any adverse reactions so the FDA can add them to the database.”

Dr Deva Khalsa

[​IMG]
    “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that products that kill fleas and ticks aren’t healthy. Any oral or spot on (and collar) product is concentrated in your dog’s tissues and bloodstream. These last for a month to three months.

Isoxazolines bind to specific channels in cells, blocking the transmission of neuronal signals. The bugs get paralyzed and die when they’re exposed to it. Isoxazolines are supposed to be much more selective in fleas and ticks than in mammals. But does that matter? Neurological signs show that these chemicals are also blocking signals in our dogs. And they stay in high concentrations in our dogs for one to three months, depending on the product.

“The FDA is working with manufacturers of isoxazoline products to include new label information to highlight neurologic events because these events were seen consistently across the isoxazoline class of products.”

The FDA has decided to put a warning on the label due to all of the reports they’ve received. But how many pet owners and or veterinarians never think to report a pet with adverse reactions. In fact, one of the adverse reactions reported is death.

That said, how many pets are, in reality, having adverse reactions. Then, there’s the pet who has the reaction they can’t talk about. They might feel weak, or dizzy or slightly out of balance? I’ve seen dogs who act this way after administration of one of these products. Vomiting is also a very common side effect.

Here’s my opinion. There’s no pharmaceutical product that kills fleas and ticks without harming your dog. I’ve written all about many other products in Dog’s Naturally Magazine. Even the pyrethrins products have had the highest incidence of death as a side effect. This is because they have to use so much of the product to make it effective.

If your pet doesn’t have a tendency to ever get fleas and ticks, simply don’t use any of these products. Heavens, the stuff works instantly so if you did get fleas one dose would do it. There are good preventives out there on the market that really work and are totally natural.

I have to be totally honest. I’ve been a veterinarian for 40 years. I’ve watched veterinary medicine become a corporate production line. Vets are administering unnecessary vaccine after vaccine. They’re handing out unneeded toxic products like candy from a candy shop. But not only is it not candy, it’s unhealthy for everything but their bottom line.”

[Related] There are natural alternatives that work really well. You can find them here or check out our ultimate flea guide.

For years we’ve been raising awareness about the risks of flea and tick medications. Needless to say, we’re happy that the FDA is finally letting people know as well, even if it isn’t in the best way.

Emily Vey

Emily Vey is a content aficionado on the Dogs Naturally team. She’s constantly looking for the most up-to-date news and information to share with DNM readers and to help her own dogs live the healthiest lives possible. She lives in Ontario with her partner-in-crime Ryan, their husky Inuk and German shepherd Indi. Together they enjoy hiking, swimming and all things outdoors!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. strykerdobe

Bravecto, Nexgard And Simparica: Are These Oral Flea And Tick Preventives Safe?

[​IMG]

By: Julia Henriques -

Reading Time: 5 minutes

Like every dog owner, you want to avoid fleas on your dog and in your home. And you don’t want your dog picking up ticks and risking tick-borne disease.

Wouldn’t it be convenient to just give your dog a tasty chew every month or three months to protect her from fleas and ticks?

Well, recently, some new flea and tick prevention products for dogs give you the opportunity to do just that.

Great! Problem solved …

… or is it?

Don’t jump on these drugs too fast. They have a dark side.

What Are The New Drugs?
    There are three drugs in the category of oral flea and tick preventives: Nexgard, Bravecto and Simparica.

Nexgard (active ingredient afoxolaner) and Bravecto (fluralaner) were approved in the US in late 2013 and early 2014. Simparica (sarolaner) was just introduced in March 2016.

The dosing schedules are once a month for Nexgard and Simparica and once every three months for Bravecto.

How The Preventives Work
    These flea treatments are oral medications. The drugs come in a soft chew your dog can eat like a treat. After your dog takes the chew, the drugs circulate in the blood, and when a flea or tick bites your dog, it’s exposed to the chemical. This exposure will kill fleas and ticks.

All three drugs are pesticides that work by attacking the nervous system of the fleas and ticks, causing death. The statements below describing the Mode of Action of these drugs are from the manufacturers’ Prescribing Information.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, these drugs work by destroying the insects’ nervous systems. If it’s deadly for fleas and ticks, how might it affect a dog? It remains in your dog’s bloodstream for extended periods of time, after all.

And, once your dog takes one of these drugs, if she has any side effects, you can’t remove the drug from her body.

First Stop, The FDA
    Every drug has side effects and I wanted to find out what reactions dogs might have had to these meds. My first stop for this type of information is usually the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA collects Adverse Drug Event Reports on its website.

But I was out of luck. Because these oral preventives are relatively new, the FDA doesn’t list them yet in the Adverse Drug Event (ADE) reports on their website. So there’s nowhere “official” you can research the side effects dog owners and veterinarians have reported from these drugs.

Luckily, however, I came across some useful information, thanks to veterinarian Dr Elizabeth Carney.

Back in November 2014, when Nexgard and Bravecto were first introduced, Dr Carney wrote about the new drugs on her blog. And then she started receiving comments from people whose dogs were already experiencing side effects after taking these preventives. She wanted to find out more.

So she filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to obtain the reports and has now received a number of ADEs for Nexgard and Bravecto. Dr Carney has generously made these reports available on her website, so I took a look at them.

ADE Reports For Nexgard And Bravecto
    Here s the FDA’s summary of the ADE reports received for Nexgard and Bravecto from January to March 2016. (When I read the summary below, I did find myself wondering who would give Bravecto to a porcupine!)

[​IMG]
    There are no reports yet for Simparica as it’s too new.

There are specific ADE reports for Nexgard and Bravecto for the period January through March 2016. The results are very similar for both drugs.

Vomiting, lethargy and diarrhea are the most common side effects reported. Seizures are quite high on both lists, with 22 each for both Nexgard and Bravecto for the first quarter of 2016. Nine deaths are reported for each drug for the same period. For Nexgard, five of the nine deaths were by euthanasia.

Nexgard (afoxolaner)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    More Reports From Dog Owners
    Facebook is another source of information about the side effects of these drugs. These two pages contain many tragic stories from dog owners who believe their dogs have been harmed by Bravecto and Nexgard.

Does Bravecto Kill Dogs?

Does Nexgard Kill Dogs?

Some of the posts are fascinating as well as alarming. One poster reports finding dead ticks on her dog as long as 12 months after his last dose of Bravecto … suggesting that’s how long it stays in your dog’s bloodstream!

So again, a reminder that if your dog experiences an adverse effect, you can’t just stop using it and expect your dog to return to normal!

As for Simparica, it’s too soon to tell …

More Information About Simparica
    As you saw from the Prescribing Information above, the mechanism of this drug is just like Bravecto and Nexgard – it destroys flea and tick nervous systems. So it seems likely that this drug’s adverse effects will be similar to the other two drugs.

The manufacturer’s website provides this warning about “abnormal neurologic signs” the drug may cause in your dog:
    [​IMG]
    Dr Carney, who obtained these reports from the FDA, told us that she has personally decided not to use these drugs for her own dog, nor will she prescribe them to her clients.

If you want to avoid these and other potentially harmful pest preventives for your dog, check out the recipes in this article for some great ways to protect your pet naturally from fleas and ticks.

BONUS: You’ll receive our free health tips and special deals.

Julia Henriques

Julia Henriques is Managing Editor of Dogs Naturally Magazine. She's on the Board of Playing Again Sams (Wisconsin Samoyed Rescue) where she enjoys helping adopters and group members choose more natural health care options for their dogs. She lives in Chicago with her partner Marc and two rescue Samoyeds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. strykerdobe

Is Frontline Plus For Dogs Harmful?
    Is Frontline Harmful To Your Dog?
    [​IMG]

By: Lee Carter -

Reading Time: 8 minutes

Fleas are a pain (literally) – a nightmare that all dog owners face at some point.

Lots of people turn to chemical spot on treatments to combat the problems. The bigger issues is, these treatments often do more harm than good.

If you’re thinking about using Frontline Plus, a topical pharmaceutical used to kill fleas and ticks, on your own dog, you’re going to want to read this first.

Typical Frontline Plus Cases And The Impacts
    A five-year old Golden Retriever is brought to the veterinarian with ear and eye discharge three weeks after receiving a dose of Frontline Plus. The symptoms go away within a month.

When the dose of Frontline is repeated, the dog develops an ear infection that improves after about six months, but never goes away. The dog dies from liver cancer two years later.

This is a typical story about Frontline Plus that led Dr Jennifer Ramelmeier to change the way she looked at the treatment. Ramelmeier stopped using it after seeing a connection between its use and cases like this.

Dr Ramelmeier says the owners would often complain when their animals developed an oily and sticky coat soon after applying the product.

“The first response of the body when the patient develops a toxic load is to discharge from the body via the eyes, the ears, the skin and through loose stool … these discharges make a great medium for bacterial and yeast growth (which live naturally on your dog’s body)”

Dr Christina Chambreau is another vet from Maryland who has seen similar cases and has a similar attitude towards the product.

She told the story of a friend’s cat who had received Frontline Plus two or three hours earlier and went missing while she was visiting. They found him under a bench “looking like a puddle,” Dr Chambreau said. On examining the cat, she found him to be very lethargic and when he started to walk, he had a very uncoordinated gait.

Dr Chambreau advises her patients to avoid using Frontline. She’s only recommended it on three occasions in her 30 years of practice. She has strong concerns over its toxicity to the pet and she has confidence in the efficacy of alternative methods.

She’s found that after she treats an animal for any type of problem, particularly behavioral or neurological, if the owners apply Frontline or other similar pesticide products, the symptoms that she’s treated come back.

The Controversy
    Despite the cases that are well known, some conventional vets disagree with concerns over the safety of Frontline.

“There is no evidence to suggest that Frontline causes cancer or other serious diseases,” says Dr Deborah Lichtenberg, a vet from Massachusetts. With regard to allergic reactions, “most of these reactions are mild and don’t require treatment” she added.

Dr Lichtenberg warns that by choosing to use more natural protection against ticks or fleas, your dog will get more ticks and be at a greater risk for developing tick-borne illness. Tick-borne illnesses are Lyme Disease, Ehrlichia, anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever or babesiosis.

[​IMG]

Background On Frontline
    The main active ingredient in Frontline Plus, fipronil, was developed between 1985 and 1987 by Rhone Paulenc AG as a broad-use insecticide. It was introduced into the market in 1993.

Since then, it has been integrated into a wide variety of products including “pesticide products, granular products for grass, gel baits, spot-on pet care products, liquid termite control products, and products for agriculture,” the National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) says.

Frontline Plus is produced and owned by Merial, the animal subsidiary of Sanofi, a multinational pharmaceutical company … Sanofi reported a net profit on these products of $706 million in 2015.

Frontline Plus is produced and owned by Merial, the animal subsidiary of Sanofi, a multinational pharmaceutical company. Frontline Plus also contains S-methoprene, a compound that has been in use since 1977 that stops juvenile insects from turning into adults.

Merial also produces Heartgard to prevent heartworm, NexGard, a chewable flea and tick poison that was released in 2013, and a series of vaccines for cats.

Altogether, Sanofi reported a net profit on these products of $706 million in 2015.

Frontline Plus is used monthly on dogs and cats. If you have a rabbit or other pet, note that Frontline is highly toxic to rabbits and Frontline is labeled “Do Not Use On Rabbits. Do Not Use On Other Animals.”

It’s applied by breaking open the plastic vial and dispensing the oily liquid between the animal’s shoulder blades. The idea is that the animal won’t be able to reach back and ingest the liquid, but at the same time, the liquid will spread over the body and be absorbed into the oil glands of the skin where it is gradually released.

Frontline Side Effects
    There are many concerns about possible side effects, the most common being skin reactions like hair loss, itching, and redness, and neurological issues like uncoordinated movement and lethargy. However, these side effects are not addressed anywhere on the US website for Frontline.

[​IMG]

The New Zealand and United Kingdom websites do address safety concerns on their Q&A pages.

“Frontline Plus has a long established and wide margin of safety and your cat should be fine,” was the response from the New Zealand website to an owner who was concerned about whether her pet would see problems from her inadvertent over-application of Frontline.

When asked about side effects, the UK website’s response was, “side effects could occur but these tend to be mild and temporary in the majority of cases.”

[Related] Are oral flea and tick meds any better? Read about the dangers here.

Research by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
    The EPA’s Pesticide Division has found that fipronil enters the body and into the fat, organs, urine and feces of dogs.

Research by the EPA in 2009 examined incident data for spot-on pesticides used on dogs, including fipronil products for dogs and cats. The report on Frontline Plus for Dogs shows that of a total of 2469 incidents, they classified:

• 1,872 (76%) as minor
    • 51 (21%) as moderate
    • 47 (2%) as major
    • 39 (<2%) were deaths
    [​IMG]

The EPA found that most of the reactions involved systemic, application site, digestive, neurological and behavioral disorders. The most common clinical signs were:

• pruritus (itching)
    • dermatitis
    • sores
    • erythema (reddening of the skin)
    • irritation
    • alopecia (hair loss)
    • hair changes at the application site
    Other commonly reported clinical signs were lethargy and vomiting (possibly from ingestion).

There were also symptoms reported from exposure to fipronil by humans, including nausea, vomiting and headache.

The EPA’s study also covered many other spot-on pesticides for dogs, and while some incidents were classified as minor, it’s important to note there were major incidents and deaths associated with every product.

[​IMG]
    How Frontline Works
    Of the Frontline Plus ingredients, fipronil is the most dangerous. Fipronil acts by disrupting the central nervous system (CNS), which contains the brain and the spinal cord. It also blocks a receptor, GABA, which has a similar form in mammals, and a receptor called GluCl, which doesn’t exist in humans.

Fipronil inhibits the insect GABA receptor much more effectively than the human receptor, making it more toxic to insects than mammals. The net effect is over-excitation of the CNS, which causes the death of the insect.

Although fipronil is more active on insects than mammals, there’s a difference between the activity of a manufactured chemical and the activity of that chemical’s metabolite – meaning what the chemical turns into inside the body.

This is where the danger to pets arises.

In the bodies of dogs and other mammals, fipronil primarily converts into fipronil-sulfone.

According to the NPIC, fipronil-sulfone is twenty times more active on the mammalian receptor than on the insect receptor and is six times more effective on the mammalian receptor than fipronil.

This means that fipronil-sulfone is many times more toxic to mammals than fipronil itself.

This increased toxicity to mammals includes humans – so your child can absorb the chemical when she cuddles with your dog who’s been treated with Frontline.

A Safety Review
    A review of Frontline Plus side effects and the safety literature on fipronil was done on behalf of the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA).

[​IMG]
    The review said that despite the increased toxicity of fipronil-sulfone, it’s unlikely there would be any adverse effects because there is a rate of passage of less than 5% fipronil through the skin. This suggests the metabolite isn’t concentrated enough to cause problems.

However, the studies on fipronil’s rate of passage through the skin only look at animals with healthy skin. The reviewers commented that further research might find fipronil is absorbed at higher levels through damaged or unhealthy skin.

Even so, the review concluded that fipronil-containing products are generally safe to use with correction application. This is because the NOAEL (no observed adverse effect level), which was calculated from a daily oral dosage of fipronil, was much higher than would normally be used on a biweekly or monthly basis.

The article states “Individual variation in response to fipronil is to be expected.” It warns that adverse reactions should be a sign to stop using it.

Also, it advises care when applying it to damaged skin. Finally, it emphasizes the importance of following the label on the products, especially in using the correct drug for cats or dogs, and to use the correct dosage.

Holistic Vets Disagree That Frontline Is Safe
    Dr Chambreau, Dr Jennifer Ramelmeier and many other holistic veterinarians are critical of studies like the ones in the APVMA review. These studies only look at immediately visible symptoms and fail to account for long-term effects that are often harder to see.

These vets provide clients with recommendations on flea and tick prevention without Frontline Plus.

Here is some of the best advice:

• Maintain the health of your pet. This means a healthy diet and physical activity. Also minimize the use of unnecessary pharmaceuticals. Healthy animals have lower body temperatures and cooler animals attract fewer fleas.
    • To actively repel fleas, she recommends products like neem oil.
    • Use Shoo tags
    • Feed garlic
    • Apply geranium oil to the collar of your dog to prevent fleas and ticks
    Want to know how you can keep the fleas and ticks away naturally? Check out this article for more information on safe flea and tick protection.

Lee Carter

Lee Carter is a University of Delaware honors biology major who hopes to attend medical school after he graduates. He is particularly interested in the connection between environmental issues and health. In his free time, he enjoys backpacking, yoga, journaling, and playing soccer.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  8. dsut

dsut New Member

Thank you! I have joined the Facebook group and read a lot of reports like these. I have also posted on Instagram. The more people are made aware of this the better. More convinced than ever that the symptoms are as a result of Bravecto. Counting down the weeks until it’s out of her system. Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My twins experienced head tremors on every flea and tick prevention.
    It is not worth the risk of poisoning my dogs to prevent fleas and ticks. I use essential oils formulas and as @Rits mentioned, Wondercide is an awesome natural prevention.

Our clinic where I work no longer carries Nexgard, Bravecto or Simparica because of the side effects we see coming in. We quit carrying Frontline and Advantix many, many years ago.

We still carry Credillio which is still in the same category but that is up for debate as we have staff meetings and it’s always on the table for discussions. It’s a newer prevention so we are constantly looking at any data concerning it.

None of the staff at work uses these preventions, we all go the natural homemade route and several use the Wondercide which we have recommended to clients.

You would be amazed at the number of clients that NEVER read the warnings in the info sheet that comes with the product or even realize that the dog has to have poison circulating in its blood stream in order for it to kill the fleas and ticks.
    If it affects the neuro system of the pests, then it will affect the host (dog).
    Not to mention the flea or tick still has to feed on the host to get its deadly dose. I would rather prevent the fleas and ticks from even getting on my animal, let alone bite it. I do this with essential oils and keeping my property free of pests naturally.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. strykerdobe

There are more natural products to use. But I see your in South Africa and don't know if you can get them.
    www.wondercide.com
    www.cedarcide.com

Or make your own

4 Natural Flea & Tick Repellent Recipes For Your Dog
    upload_2020-1-9_13-57-11.jpeg
    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-flea-and...
    For dogs who are more at risk for fleas and ticks because of their environment, try amber collars, electromagnetic tags, spray your dog’s underside lightly with a natural protective spray or sprinkle food-grade diatomaceous earth into your dog’s coat.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Any idea how effective is this for dogs in the Mississippi Delta area with mosquitoes? What makes me very nervous is the info starting to crop up that mosquitoes are becoming immune to the heart worm treatments down here....so we are religious with treatment....all year around..and we use Advantix.

Vets have never found a reason for the two grand mal seizures Mo's had...and with the deal we are going thru with Bam * shoulder shrug*

(I have batted at four mosquitoes since I started typing this....got spray on..but doesn't keep them from dive bombing.)

12. Tropicalbri's

I live in an area where mosquitos are 24/7. They are not just a dusk and dawn thing.
    You can do DNA testing for Heartworms every 6mo , then if the DNA shows the dirofilariae (larval stage) then administering Heart Gard will eliminate them and prevent them from growing into adult microfilaria. Heart Gard has Ivermectin which kills the first stages of heartworm. It takes 5-6mo after bitten for the dirofilariae to show up in a Heart Worm DNA antigen test.
    Abaxis has the antigen DNA test kits for around $115. I believe there are 25 tests in it. If you have friends that prefer not to give Prevention every month then you could split the cost of test.
    Mine do not get it every month. I was doing every 6wks. but now I go longer but I do the testing and it’s always been negative.

The advantage of DNA antigen testing is it picks up the larvae before it develops into adults (Microfilaria) so HG can be given if positive.

This breed is prone to so many health issues that I hate compromising their system with chemicals if I have another way to control it.

We have over 300 species of mosquitoes down here and to me the Marsh mosquitoes are the worst. They are Kama Kazi even with spray on. They will be in your eyes, up your nose, your ears to the point of not being able to work.
    Same with the noseeums. If we have to remove seaweed from beaches after a storm we have to completely cover up and wear helmets with netting to keep them away from us. Then you have the biting yellow flies, scorpions and centipedes that will nest in the seaweed.
    It’s a dancing omg job. :eek:

Did I mention I HATE removing seaweed. Argh!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. BamMoMoMommy

I am sorry you are having to deal with all this, but wanted to say thank you for getting this conversation started. I am one of those people who reads the warnings and asks a ton of questions...but lay folks...we are at the mercy of the keepers of the knowledge and often it is the lay people jumping up and down and screaming who prompt change. I don't think anyone I trust to help me take the best care of my guys' health has lied to me or even deceived me...but I am not convinced they always get the full story.
    (And my daughter who is a vet tech says she doesn't feel they always get the straight story on a professional level....from the professionals they deal with.)

As you said....the more people are made aware of this the better.

I hope you are seeing good results for your pup and all is 100% soon!

Thank you so much for the info.....I am going to have my daughter order this for me. We have the boys tested every three months in the vet office.....since things are getting so scary with all this....neither our vet up here in north west MS or down in New Orleans acted like I was over reactive bonkers getting them tested every three months.

They get Heart Gard once a month...but am I reading your writing right...you don't give the Heart Gard unless you get a positive on the tests?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

So I understand...you do not use a flea and tick med, but you do use a heartworm med? I've been trying to learn the life of a mosquito/flea/and those damn ticks and how to deal with them in a safer way, but darn, its confusing!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. MyBuddy

At Buddys age especially, I'm not going to give him anything any more. I went natural with Wondercide for a while last year. But as the bugs increased, so did my anxiety and I caved. :( But I cringe every time I gave them those meds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tropicalbri's

I don’t use any flea and tick meds and haven’t for a while now. I use my homemade brew and been successful. I quit giving the heartworm prevention but I test religiously. If there was ever a positive for the dirofilariae I would give a dose of Heartgard and test again a month later. so far all testing has been negative and they don’t have any fleas or ticks either. It just makes me feel better knowing chemicals are not in their system unless I get a dna positive, then it’s only one dose.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BamMoMoMommy

Thanks.

I got more questions..but venturing into what might be territory that would put you in an odd spot as a professional as in offering professional advice in a non professional setting.... over giving your own personal experience...so I am about to become my daughter's worse nightmare...I told her she would pay for all the grey hair I have been having to pay to get covered since she was three.....Mama is callin' in a chit!!!

(and Marsh mosquitoes..UGH...I miss FL Keys...a LOT..and at times I miss New Orleans..but leaving them black hearted bastards behind....was a HAPPY, HAPPY,HAPPY thang!!)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  18. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I haven't used chemical flea/tick preventative for years. I use Wondercide, and at that, I only apply it if I am going to hav him in a situation that merits it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  19. MyBuddy

So you are not doing the Heartworm every six weeks? None at all? When did you stop completely? Well, that is very interesting and great success being you are in a "buggier" state than I am. When bugs here are at their highest, I get panicky. And running to our dog Vet is not that easy. He's almost a half hour away and I can't get Buddy in my car without some help. His hips are getting bad and he doesn't want to jump up. Having access to your Vet clinic is so helpful to get them checked often.

This is a do-it-yourself thing? What are your testing? Their blood?

20. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Every time I long for a green grassy lawn instead of dirt and rocks and bunch-grass I remember green grass comes with warm weather and plentiful rains and that brings the fleas & mosquitoes. Living in the high desert in several places over the last 25 years: Colorado, Northern Nevada, and now New Mexico, always over 5,000 feet in elevation, I haven't seen a flea in all those 25 years. Born and raised in Arkansas the fleas and ticks were totally out of control. We have a few mosquitoes for about 30 days in the summer - I might slap 5 or 10 of them a year. We have ticks, but I've never seen one. Blessed is the high dry country, at least until fire season. Nothing can be perfect!

• Like Like x 2