• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Flakey Skin in Dogs and Cats

Finally someone that agrees with me on bathing a dog. Most people think I am nuts because I bathe my dogs so much.
One thing she didn't mention is brushing does help distribute the natural oil produced to help with a nice shiny coat.

I think finding and using a non crap shampoo and conditioner is key. So bathing more often should not be an issue. Crap shampoos are still out there.

I usually use this Dogosuds Unscented 8 oz. I prefer the unscented but it does come scented with various essential oils. If for some reason I need a 'flavor' I can add my own oils. This stuff rinses so easy, I love that. I probably should say we have a whole house water filter so I'm not rinsing them with water that is full of crap that is added to make it "safe".

I bathe my twins frequently. They play and work hard in training everyday on dirt, sand, coral screenings, salt water, grass etc. and they get dirty. Plus they sleep with me most of the time and I want them clean. If I don’t bathe them once every 7-10 days, they stink and I have a sensitive nose so in the bath they go. They do get hosed off frequently after heavy workouts because I don’t want to bring all the pollen and other organic pollutants into the house on their hair coat and sleep next to them. That brings on allergy responses from me.
Perhaps because we have high humidity I don’t have an issue with them having dry, flaky skin even with frequent bathing. I try to brush them daily with the zoom groom (they love it) and that helps with shedding and dirt removal.
Dogs shed heavily in our environment with the heat and humidity even in winter. Since feeding raw I have noticed less shedding than when they were on kibble. I get compliments all the time on how shiny their coats are and this is before their baths. After a bath they look beautiful and smell so clean, not a perfume clean but a natural clean.
I am around so many dogs weekly that just plain stink because owners do not take the time to provide them with proper hygiene.
The dog groomers charge $35. for small dogs and $55.+ for large dogs just to give a bath and they usually come back smelling heavily perfumed. Can’t be healthy for them.

I hear the coconut oil is very good. Brushing and bathing is a must I agree on the 7 to 10 days. My wife doesn't like the smell of dog it really bothers her so i wash his pillow/bed every 5 days and I wash him every 10.

I hear the coconut oil is very good. Brushing and bathing is a must I agree on the 7 to 10 days. My wife doesn't like the smell of dog it really bothers her so i wash his pillow/bed every 5 days and I wash him every 10.
Same here. I also use unscented baby wipes to clean him up in between baths. Could use a rag as well but Kaiser went through a rag chasing phase. I'd hang it to dry on his crate and he'd run off with it and drop the wet mess on the floor. Now I use Costco baby wipes and toss it out. Them being white, it's easy to spot blood as well. Plus it teaches the dog to be touched everywhere and if you do it in public, like we do after hikes, people watch in disbelief lol :D

Back