• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Fitting an ecollar on a Doberman

jazzies mum

Hot Topics Subscriber
I am setting up Jazzies ecollar ready to begin her training. The suggested fit was to have the electrodes directly under her chin and the collar just behind her ears. To start with I am just getting her accustomed to having it on during our regular walks and am happy that it is tight enough to stay close behind the ears without being too tight. The problem is that it seems to naturally end up with the electrodes sitting to the side of her neck, and I have noticed that in photos of your dogs wearing ecollars this is often the case. Of course, as soon as I wanted to look at pics to check on the ecollar placement, I don't seems to be able to find good clear ones! I know they are there somewhere!!! :confused-alt: Maybe it doesn't matter much, but would like to make sure she is getting good, consistent stim when I start so it doesn't end up hit and miss.
Any advice and pics appreciated!

I have found that the e-collar unit always ends up on bottom – under the throat at 6 o'clock. This happens even when I purposely place the unit and its prongs on the side of the neck or even on the top! It always rotates and winds up at 6 o'clock. Yes, I have tried to position the unit at different places.

One reason in the past I used to try this was when riding in the back seat of our car, my Dobe's sticking his head out the window and bringing it back inside would rake the unit across the top of the window (1/2 rolled down) and I was concerned it was going to damage the glass. In true annoying Doberman form, this attempted solution failed in that his very vigorous pacing would result in the unit scuffing hard against the back of the front seat headrests, potentially damaging them.

But yeah, a few good doggie body-shakes are all it takes to make the unit assume the 6 o'clock position. This, perhaps, would not be the case if I tightened the collar to a tightness greater than I find proper.

I am of the persuasion that the e-collar prongs and their stimulation will produce the desired effect wherever on the neck they are positioned. In fact, the variety of sensations might be beneficial.

I agree with Oji in that a good shake will make it slip down under the neck. Problem here is that I find Ragnar does not get as good as stim down there as if behind the ears.

If I tighten it down it will stay behind the ears but I don’t like it to be that tight on Ragnar’s neck. So I go one notch down and re-adjust as necessary- just slide it back around.

Now if we are in an environment in which I have to have immediate response, then I will tighten it down.

I have tried putting his flat collar below the ECollar to help hold it up on his neck and it does help some.

Thankyou everyone. Sounds like if the contacts end up moving from the 6 o'clock position it is nothing much to worry about so I will just see where it ends up staying most consistently, and set her levels with it there. The collar slips down her neck a little but not too far in normal walking conditions, just twists around. I really like the elastic idea as once we have our training in place she will probably be wearing her ECollar mostly for those extreme activity times where air intake is most important! :thumbsup:

That's one thing I find annoying with dog collars of any kind. They always slide down their sleek coat, so it's either too tight up top so they can't breathe or so loose that it makes ridges in the fur at the base of the neck. The prong is forever spinning around. No wonder people like harnesses. Too bad those aren't ideal for Dobes unless you're looking for a turbo powered Dobe.

I don't have have any advice on ecollars as we don't have an ecollar yet, but good timing on the thread as I've narrowed down the options for what to buy.

That's one thing I find annoying with dog collars of any kind. They always slide down their sleek coat, so it's either too tight up top so they can't breathe or so loose that it makes ridges in the fur at the base of the neck. The prong is forever spinning around. No wonder people like harnesses. Too bad those aren't ideal for Dobes unless you're looking for a turbo powered Dobe.

I don't have have any advice on ecollars as we don't have an ecollar yet, but good timing on the thread as I've narrowed down the options for what to buy.
People of today like harnesses today, generally speaking, because they are being ruled by vague notions stemming from the animal rights agenda. Though, something flies in the face of the foregoing, and I am still trying to figure it out: SO many people use prong collars as their dogs' primary collar.

Just some thoughts.

People of today like harnesses today, generally speaking, because they are being ruled by vague notions stemming from the animal rights agenda. Though, something flies in the face of the foregoing, and I am still trying to figure it out: SO many people use prong collars as their dogs' primary collar.

Just some thoughts.
Do you mean primary as in the one that gets the tags on and is the tie up point? If so that seems like a recipe for a nasty accident or some nasty sores. I do use the prong collar when I am going where there will be dogs, people or other distractions that make a young dog excitable and hard to handle, but use a plain leather one for at home use. Out on walks at home I use her metal choker or her plastic wannabe prong collar, with a refresher course with her prong collar once a week. Ultimately I would like to be able to just carry the prong collar in case of unusual circumstances, but until Jazz is 2 and a half to three I don't think that will be possible. It has to be safety first at this stage I think. (Seems a bit like shoes, something for every occasion! :wideyed:)

Do you mean primary as in the one that gets the tags on and is the tie up point? If so that seems like a recipe for a nasty accident or some nasty sores. I do use the prong collar when I am going where there will be dogs, people or other distractions that make a young dog excitable and hard to handle, but use a plain leather one for at home use. Out on walks at home I use her metal choker or her plastic wannabe prong collar, with a refresher course with her prong collar once a week. Ultimately I would like to be able to just carry the prong collar in case of unusual circumstances, but until Jazz is 2 and a half to three I don't think that will be possible. It has to be safety first at this stage I think. (Seems a bit like shoes, something for every occasion! :wideyed:)
By "primary" I mean the prong collar being used as the collar that folks use every day to simply take their dog for a walk, or go hang out at the park or the farmers' market, etc. The prong is meant to be used as a training tool, but it has become a very popular collar for those who feel it provides them an acceptable decrease in pulling – so they simply make it their go-to every day collar.

I would hope no one uses it as a tie out, but I'm sure many do.

Placement of the electrodes on the ecollar can vary depending on what is being trained. For the most part it should be placed bottom left about 4-5 o’clock. If it is a dual box collar there will be on box at 5 o’clock and one at 7 o’clock.
9281FE0C-E0E3-4623-9C95-9ADA0D4775DA.jpeg

By "primary" I mean the prong collar being used as the collar that folks use every day to simply take their dog for a walk, or go hang out at the park or the farmers' market, etc. The prong is meant to be used as a training tool, but it has become a very popular collar for those who feel it provides them an acceptable decrease in pulling – so they simply make it their go-to every day collar.
The amount of control you get is definitely different. I would say it's our everyday collar for walks or amongst large crowds. Even while wearing both prong and flat collar (his usual combo) he knows which collar his leash in connected to. On a flat, he'll pull the first 10 mins no matter what. On a prong he's good right away. Would love to get him off the prong and the Easy Walk harness had some success but it impedes his jumping and running. Can't have that.

The amount of control you get is definitely different. I would say it's our everyday collar for walks or amongst large crowds. Even while wearing both prong and flat collar (his usual combo) he knows which collar his leash in connected to. On a flat, he'll pull the first 10 mins no matter what. On a prong he's good right away. Would love to get him off the prong and the Easy Walk harness had some success but it impedes his jumping and running. Can't have that.
Hmm. Not to be too contradictory, but I've found that my Dobes pull just as hard when I use a prong as a normal collar. Then again, I can't say that I've ever made sure it stays way up high on the neck.

Each Dobe is unique. I see many Dobes that wear a normal collar it's their full time collar. Usually females lol or snipped males.

Each Dobe is unique. I see many Dobes that wear a normal collar it's their full time collar. Usually females lol or snipped males.
Yes, you are probably right. Jazz is nearly 16 months and can be lead loose leash most of the time when things are calm and ordinary. Out on a walk though, if she is in a flat collar and sees a roo worth chasing we might have a good tussle while I get her out of that zone. In her prong, she will see the roo and prance and bounce, all on a loose leash. She learn't early on that lunging after them with the prong on was NOT a good idea! At this stage I use her metal choker or her plastic collar that uses the same principal as the prong but much milder as an alternative as often as I can, but still need to do a regular refresher session with the prong collar. As she matures she reacts less and I can see a day when the prong collar is put in a carry pack in case of need only. Entire male dogs would be a different kettle of fish I guess! :devil:

@jazzies mum

Yes, your description of Jazz with the prong collar when seeing a roo is exactly the same with Ragnar and other dogs. He used to be very reactive to dogs. I don’t think aggressive viscious wise but aggressive as in, oh oh, there’s a dog, I want to run and see.

A couple of quick tugs with a hold, if need be, and he comes to heel quickly. Now, when he sees a dog, he will alert to it but a stern command given gets him under control. I no longer have to enact the prong collar.

I am also in hope that getting this under control at a young age of 1yr will lead to better control/discipline when he is less rambunctious and more mature.

Would love to get him off the prong and the Easy Walk harness

Just keep training, it'll happen. While the prong and e collar are great tools they often turn in to a crutch that can be difficult to wean from. Drake is without a collar at all 99% of the time and does well. But for the longest time we (I) had trouble weaning from my tools. Because of that I went a different route with Rumor. She's never had an e collar on and a prong just a few times. I found it unnecessary with her because I taught her very young that pleasing me is what she wants to do.

I think I overthink everything too much! :p

After taking my time setting up the eCollar, fit and base level of stim, the first lesson lasted only 5 - 10 mins before I had a recall from stim alone with no prompting with the leash. Called that excellent and gave Jazz some happy play.

It had been my intention to practice recall until it became automatic, but with Jazz it seems to be better to get out into real situations as soon as she understood what was required of her. She is also responding to the second to lowest setting. And wow, what a difference! Her general attitude is much more attentive, and I have only had to use the eCollar a very few times. We don't always have the collar on, and sometimes it is on but I don't need to use it. Today we went for out first morning walk out where the roos and cattle are with her off leash. She did head out after some roos, I called her and then gave her +2 stim and she came tearing back to me, flat out. The same thing happened when we walked near the bull, (who just stands there and looks at her!) On the way back I deliberately went past the bull again and called Jazz to walk beside me, and there she was, not even looking at the bull. Same for roos.

So, it is all very simple really. No drill sessions, no traumatised dog, just a very simple, very effective way of giving your dog a tap at a distance at EXACTLY the most effective time!

My thoughts are that I could have been using an eCollar much earlier, but having her training to a level where she understands what I am asking without a doubt and using a stim just to reinforce obedience has made things so easy.

Just a funny side effect was that we were around the place with a thunderstorm on the way and it let loose a loud and startling flash/crack. Made me pull my head in, and made Jazz come racing over to me and plant her side against my leg, almost trying to climb right onto me. Totally different reaction than before eCollar training! :thumbsup:

@jazzies mum

Yes, the exact way I see it, also. A “tap” on the shoulder to say- hey dude, time to come on in.... or even in emergent situations- get your but over here NOW!!! Works every time and I don’t have to worry about the what if’s.

Just an update. All is going brilliantly with the ecollar training. Jazz rarely needs it to enforce recall any more, but still occasionally needs a correction regarding wildlife.

Because she is very aware that chasing critters is NOT allowed I have started to set her collar up at a level a couple of steps higher than when I was first using it. This way it makes an impression! We have never needed it to be even half way up the scale so still well within the low stim settings. The only time we have had any incidents was when something broke away from almost under our feet and she is off before she thinks. A very good lesson the other day when a young rabbit made a break and it all happened within 10ft, and after a verbal command she got the volts! Took twice, and she broke off and came to my side, while we watched this small bunny head off to safety. A win!

Since then we have started out with some good bike rides through the bush tracks which was something I was putting off until she was more reliable, and she sticks to me like glue. When we walk through high density wildlife areas she is starting to choose to come closer to me, and I am more exacting with her than I was. I don't even allow an intense stare any more, she must stay relaxed. Days go by without any need of the ecollar but I still leave it on her for our walks, and probably will in high risk areas for a long time to come.

How much more relaxing life is with this safety measure available, and she will only become more reliable as time passes. She has got the message about picking up dead stuff on our walks and had me in stitches when she was rattling around in some long grass and I got ahead of her a bit, turned to see what she was doing and she was coming out with something in her mouth. She saw me look, and instantly spat it a mile! I hadn't had time to say a word. Another win! :thumbsup:

Back