Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Fireworks

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Gelcoater, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Maxie hated fire works. She wanted to kill them. Full attack mode.

Daisy was scared to death of them!
    Wanted to hide in the closet or bathroom. Interestingly, if we were “out” away from home, she seemed fairly unphasef excdpt for the overly loud ones with flash which got a flinch.

This Independence Day, the wife has a chest cold. The oldest is getting it.
    The youngest just got over it, and is out being 19.

So we’re at home tonight.
    Rocky.
    7BE18AE4-D59C-4715-82B5-730F93936643.jpeg

At one point a rather loud boom went off.
    He lifted his head, looked around, and went back to sleep.
    It’s almost strange, having a dog with no care about fireworks, lol.

• Like Like x 9
  2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It's been years since I had a dog that had a problem with fireworks. We had a lab mix that would go under a bed until the year she got stuck. After that she found the basement to be her best option.
    We stayed home for the first time in years. My son on the farm usually hosts a huge party and we have our own private display. We can also see a couple local municipalities do their own shows. This year the farm still has a 100 acre lake so plans changed.
    The city we live in does a display that we saw for the first time since we lived here. GREAT show! Our tress are too tall to get full advantage so we went to a parking lot not far from our house. I decided to take Rumor to help me maneuver the crowd. Someone (not sure who) decided that meant Drake needed to go. The crowd was almost as amazed by the fact that both dogs were sleeping at my feet as they were the fireworks.

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Bogie is not bothered by fireworks or thunderstorms. He will usually look to me when he first hears the boom and then he just lays his head down and goes back to sleep. Bacall is getting better with thunderstorms unless they are extremely close. Fireworks for her is agonizing. I don’t quite know how to work with her there as I don’t like the sounds of fireworks anymore either. I do mental games with her to distract her and that helps but I get tired and have to get sleep for work the next day so I have to crate her and cover crate for her to settle down. I just hate seeing all the animals that suffer noise anxiety. Breaks my heart. We had quite a few boarding because of anxiety to fireworks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Luckily neither of our two are bothered in the slightest by them. Nothing we did so can't take credit for it!

We had them out in the back yard with their bones with some frozen peanut butter in them. Neighbors were walking by to get a spot for the fireworks display in the park down the street and it seems everyone around us had all the good (illegal) fireworks to set-off themselves.

We actually did not put them in their crates when we walked down to see the fireworks... We figured they're free range when we're outside working for an hour plus so how was this any different? It appears they were good puppies and not worried about all the boom boom bang!

IMG_20190704_200234.jpg

IMG_20190704_201720.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Kaiser isn’t bothered by them. We didn’t do any training around this either.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't think that's something that can be trained in or out of them. Maybe it can be trained into them if you get stressed out, even if they'd be calm otherwise but I think it's one of those things that either does or doesn't bother them.
    These 2 could care less and there were some really loud bangs very near here. They don't mind thunder storms either but shoot a darn .22 gun and Albert wants to crawl out of his skin these days. :scratch:

7. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

My two were not bothered by the fireworks either. But thunder has Kali shaking in her boots and Buddy sticking so close to me that I trip over him! :groan:

8. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

So our guy was definitely bothered by the fireworks. We stayed home with him but we are close to town and they were loud. He was back and forth barking like a mad man at the door to checking on me on the couch and giving me an exhausting amount of kisses.

Fast forward to today with a large thunder and lightening storm.... nothing. He raised his head at the first big bang, then went back to chewing on his toy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow x 1
  9. IslandDobeMix

IslandDobeMix New Member

Since Birdie is generally skittish we were really worried about how she’d react to the fireworks. Fortunately, she wasn’t remotely phased by the earth shaking booms or blasts!

Oddly, my parents hunting dog (who is regularly around gun fire) is terrified of fireworks.

In our experience, there’s no rhyme or reason to who is spooked and who isn’t so I agree with @JanS. Although, I rarely hear about multi-dog scenarios where there is a mix of scared and not scared pups so I’m sure they influence one another.

• Like Like x 3
  10. crypticintent

crypticintent Hot Topics Subscriber

Ezri did fine with fireworks. She hasn’t been around when I’ve been firing a Winchester 308 round....

11. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

No rhyme or reason I absolutely agree with.
    Multi dogs.
    We had Daisy and Rocky together for some time.
    She was hiding, he gave not one $h!t:D