Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Finding littermates..

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Duchess_The_Doberman, Jul 19, 2020.

1. I was wondering if there was any way to find a dogs littermates. Have any of you all found your Dobes siblings? I'm just curious as to where they are, what the look like, etc. Drop some stories and experiences, if you have any. I would love to know.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy Jr Member

I've been chatting with someone on here who's getting the sister of my dog. I think I'm almost as excited for her as I was when I was waiting for mine

3. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

If your dog came from a reputable breeder, they are usually more than well aware of where all their puppies are.

Our breeder did keep one of Rubie's littermates as a show prospect so I'd see pictures of her here and there but they found a home for her when that didn't pan out.

I've actually entered Rubies information into DobeQuest.org so can follow her lineage and what not through that site.

• Like Like x 2
  4. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I've stayed in touch with all the breeders from whom I got puppies, even after the litter passed on. One exception is the first breeder who was forced to get rid of her dogs after her husband died and she had to move. Breeders are a great resource. One of my past breeders is a very good resource for medical advice.

Anyway, yes, I've been knowledgeable about what was happening with littermates. Facebook has been great since it started. I'm friends with the owners of other puppies. The one I've been most in touch with was the 'Cars' litter where every puppy was named after a car. I had Cooper and am friends with two of the other owners. I'm friends with one of AJ's littermates owners and know where most of the other puppies went.

I wish you as good an experience as I had with Dobie littermates and breeders.

On the downside, I'm bi-breedual and have a Sheltie. I know zero about her littermates and the breeder has no interest in Sabrina. Sabrina has advanced herding and obedience titles, yet the breeder still ignores us whenever we reach out to her. So it can go either way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy Jr Member

Interesting. I didn't know there was such a site. I'll have to look at it. Thanks

6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

If your pup is AKC registered you can go to the site and enter the registration number and keep changing the last number. The last number signifies which order each pup was born. For example Albert if is WS0000008 he was the 8th born in the litter.
    I haven't done it for a while but I believe it even brings up the owners name.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, I've always wanted to know this stuff.

My first Dobe's breeder was flaky – she told me to keep in touch, then she disappeared. Only after I achieved some very high profile accomplishments with that Dobe did she magically reappear and have the gall to ask if she could boast of it.

My second Dobe's breeder was bad about contact. He was from a litter of just 2 pups, and I did eventually find out the fate of my boy's littermate.

My current boy's breeder is good about being available and above the board. They actually have two of Oji's litter mates living in their home (one on purpose, one was returned to them for biting the owner – sound familiar, Oji?). Each year on the litter's birthday, just a few of the owners post a pic to the breeder's social media page. I used to remind folks early to get their pics ready, but I'm feeling over it now. I think I know which of his litter mates have achieved working titles.

• Like Like x 1