Fighting house mates

I need some advise . I have my Male going after is house mate my Beautiful blue female . Is fixing my Male going to help stop this or what can I do . I dont like it and it's not fair to either one to have to be going through this . Help .... I dont want to get rid of either one and it breaks my heart i just need it to stop . The fighting is getting worse when it happens . The fighting doesn't happen all the time it's very , very random.

Attachments

• IMG_45721_01.jpg
    IMG_45721_01.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 19
Is it true fighting or very rough play? Do they stop when you tell them too or do you have physically break it up? You have to set the rules if play as the leader of the pack.
Unfortunately there are sometimes dogs that do not get along and can not be put together. My males are not allowed to be out together because they will fight so we do a rotation in our house. It’s sucks but is better than trips to the vet for staples and stitches.

I just read something that basically said: fixing your dog will alter their hormones, not necessarily their behavior. So I think the short answer is: probably not.

How old are they? Which dog did you have first? What training have you done with them? Has this always happened but was cute when they were puppies or is it new? Are you sure it's random? It's not when she gets close to you, has a toy he wants, is sitting in a spot he wants, etc.?

No Neutering/Spaying will not fix the problem.
I would find a good trainer that has dealt with aggression.
Unfortunately it could come down to rehoming one!
Or doing the crate rotation.

How old are they? How long has this been going on?
Do they just look at each other and it starts? What situations makes this happen?
If it suddenly happened maybe have a Full Thyroid Panel checked on him. A Thyroid issue can cause lots of issues and aggression issues.

When we had two males they were both neutered it did not fix this issue. They would start to fight when rough play would start to escalate. Or our one male had a leash frustration or leash aggression. If he could not get at what he wanted he would turn and start a fight with our other male if he was near him. This would also happen at doors if the other male would come up next to him. The other male learned eventually not to come up next to him.
Rough play to a minimum. We could tell by body language and type of barking. We would redirect each of them to toys or just put one in the house.
And yes I got bitten a couple of times!

For our males it was not like if they would look at each other and want to fight. Just certain situations. So we we learned very fast on reading each of their body language.
Also we never left them alone.
We still have the male that has this frustration and we have a female. We still watch him when playing with her. She also learned not to come up next to him when he is at a door barking.

Last edited:
Even unrelated male and female Dobes have the chance of not getting along? Oh boy, I thought it was just SSA and littermate syndrome that we need to worry about.

@Cameo2Bella2Nike I don't have 2 Dobes but I have seen 2 play many times. I also wonder if you're seeing actual fighting versus rough play. They play really loud including open mouthed growling and it does look aggressive to the untrained eye.

Even unrelated male and female Dobes have the chance of not getting along? Oh boy, I thought it was just SSA and littermate syndrome that we need to worry about.

@Cameo2Bella2Nike I don't have 2 Dobes but I have seen 2 play many times. I also wonder if you're seeing actual fighting versus rough play. They play really loud including open mouthed growling and it does look aggressive to the untrained eye.
Thanks that's what I wanted to say
Plus mine is so gentle with his his mouth pressure yes it hurts a little and sometimes I have bruises from teeth pressure but he is so careful for what he is

Jager has a spaniel he loves that lives down the road when they meet in the park he puts his whole head in his mouth they are all play and fun because they met about 7moths old it's like they just know how each other likes to play and how much they put up with

Back