1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Feels like torture!

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by not_so_tiny_teddy, Jul 5, 2019.

1. not_so_tiny_teddy

not_so_tiny_teddy New Member

I am crate training our 11 month old puppy, us sing the suggestions I found on the forum. He’s been in the crate for an hour and hasn’t settled. He’s alternating between furiously scratching the plastic floor, typing to chew the wire, licking the floor and crying. He’s panting too, but not excessively. I feel like I’m torturing him! Husband is skeptical that he will ever shut up for the required five minutes before he can come out! I feel like a horrible dog mum

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Trust me you're not. While the training is much easier when they are younger, stick with it because believe it or not it will be worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. not_so_tiny_teddy

not_so_tiny_teddy New Member

Thank you. Almost two hours and still carrying on

• Wow x 1
  4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Try to do this after an exhaustive training session or play. Not just 15mins either, a good 60mins of mental/physical engagement.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Have you tried playing crate games?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Logan 45

Logan 45 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Crate training is awesome don’t be worried about it. It’s a process even with a 6 week old puppy. Like mentioned above try to wear him out first. And if you aren’t already feed him in the crate. In time they will actually learn to love their crate my dog will sleep in his even when I’m home and he can do whatever he wants. Once you breakthrough the training and he learns to accept it he will view his crate as his own personal den and the struggle will have been worth it. Also put his favorite toys in it with him at first.