Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Feeling nostalgic

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Minionmama, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

It was almost 20 years ago that I first became a dobermom. Keba was 100lbs of pure joy. He spent 3 weeks with a trainer and was easily trained and super snappy on commands. He had a queen sized blanket that was his "blankie" and he dragged it around the house with him wherever he went. He loved to snuggle and play. At the park he chased butterflies like it was his job! So much so that I dubbed him "Count Keba King of the butterfly killers". At the time I drove a Mazda Miata and he would ride shotgun in a doggie seatbelts, for which I took a lot of teasing. His head was taller than the windshield when sitting up. Still the best dog I've ever owned. He was from a backyard breeder, as I didn't know any better. I also didn't know anything about ear cropping (and clearly neither did the vet I took him too as he was cropped late and way too short. Posting was not even a concern. The vet took the stitches out and posted them then told me to take them down in 2 weeks or if they fell out sooner that was ok. I never reposted them. Share your pics of your first dobe and tell me about your experience. 20180809_153155.jpg 20180809_153314.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Notable member

He does look like he was a big boy!

What a great story and good thread idea. Can't wait to read more as I'm on my first Dobe and dog so all I have are bad puppy stories lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Aww great story and such a handsome boy!

I briefly had a male Doberman in the early 80's but I can't find a photo at the moment. He was a really good boy and the only reason it was briefly was because I found out after the fact that the small block I lived on was no dogs allowed, even though other peoples dogs regularly came in my yard to poop. :(

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

My first doberman was a dobergirl we named Penny. I had heard stories and seen pictures from my dad and my great grandma my whole life about their different dobermans and how amazing and smart they are/were, so I was thrilled when one day I came home from school and my dad said "let's go we're picking up our dog."

Penny came from a backyard breeder who was going to euthanize her because she was the runt of the litter and no one "wanted" her after several weeks and didn't want to "waste" food on a dog that wouldn't be bought. My dad saw the BYB struggling to his car with the bitch and sire and Penny in the other hand while driving by and thought it was weird so pulled over to have a chat. When dad found out what the BYB was intending he told the guy he'd take her off his hands for 200 bucks if he'd let him, my dad, run to the bank and get his daughter (me) real quick. The guy agreed and went back inside. And thus we came to have Penny.

Penny was indeed super small as a pup, but super smart. My dad and great grandma both agreed she was of higher level intelligence compared to the other dobes they've had and she proved that intelligence over and over her whole life.There's so many stories.

Penny never got big like her brothers and sisters and stayed around the 60lb mark, but she always looked good. Her ears were botched by a vet that didnt know doberman ears (he did great danes mostly) and thus one never stood all the way no matter what dad did to try to make them, but she was healthy and beautiful inside and out.

She left us way too early (age 6) to cross over the rainbow bridge due to heart failure. Even though her time was short, she was loved and well loved by our entire neighborhood who also experienced being around a doberman for the first time. When Penny passed, people in community stopped by with gifts and to pay respects for weeks after. (She had had such a positive impact on people and their overall impression of dobermans.)

Penny instilled in me my fierce love for dobes and for that I'm thankful to her and also thankful to my dad who is 1 million percent against BYB, but broke his stance to save her.

1533860550341.jpg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  5. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

My first dobe was a beautiful red boy named Chaos. We had some friends that lived next door to the people that owned him. I would see him in the backyard and just knew he wasn't happy. We sort of got to know the people, mostly because I wanted to know more about Chaos. What I learned didn't make me happy. One day I knocked on the door and said "Just give me the dog" The guy was like "What?" I repeated myself and listed the reasons why. To my surprise he gave the the dog!
    I took him home with no intentions of keeping him. I just wanted to find him a good home. We had lost our dog a few months earlier and had decided not to get a dog for awhile. My kids were active in sports and hubby and I were busy with our company. We thought it best to just keep up with our lives for awhile.
    Well that plan sounded good anyway. I brought Chaos home and let him out in the backyard. I went out with him and sat down and watched him for a bit. I think Chaos was the plan changer. He wanted to stay. We were only out a few minutes when he came and sat in front of me. I ignored him. He laid his head in my lap and it was over. Hubby was watching out the window. When we came in he said "So much for finding him a home" Hubby was right. I fell for that boy in an instant.
    Chaos was a great dog. He as what you want in a dog and more.

Always at my side....
    my sweet boy.jpg
    More good things came from Chaos. A year later, almost to the day, I got my Goober Girl (Greta) from the same people.
    rsz_my_sweet_goobs.jpg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 8
  6. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

Such a great story. And a pretty girl.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

Chaos sure was a handsome boy. What a way to come across a dog, those people must have been a piece of work too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

I found a couple more pics of Keba 20180810_081802.jpg 20180810_081838.jpg 20180810_081726.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  9. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

when I met my husband, 23 years ago he was already the proud owner of a Dobermann/lab, named Jake...

31B33D2E-1296-41B3-91AF-4B4442CA3101.jpeg

Such a handsome fella ( the dog, not my hb ;))

After Jake passed at 10 years old we rescued Max from a local shelter...

B99FC236-4EA4-4C51-BF1A-CC81053F0578.jpeg

We had Max from 7 months old to 10 and a half years. Such a character!

Kobi came next...

8C47DA39-F523-4F04-B32B-603363D49733.jpeg

Sadly Kobi passed away at just 2 years old after bleeding out internally after a blockage operation.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 7
  10. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My first boy Rocky CE944F58-8EBB-4080-B6CD-E34FCD0F9068.jpeg
    My Sweet Gracie whose heart was bigger than the world. She loved riding in my Bug. 9F653637-6593-4507-A5FA-FB9599AB07F5.jpeg C4E99CDE-46AC-453D-9C50-13D40FE5991B.jpeg
    She LOVED the water like all my Dobermans have. D3A0B1D8-BF7F-4CA2-9F8D-EC2BCECC03E0.jpeg
    If ever a dog could dance on water it was my Gracie. F4179740-82F7-45A7-92B8-8133905C8246.jpeg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@Viemarangelrock

Max was an absolute Hellion?

How does somebody give up a beautiful Doberman like Max????

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  12. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It’ll always baffle me. At 7 months old we were his 6th owners. So yeah, the poor bugger had a shitty start to life. He got screwed over well and truly. Separation anxiety at its worse. He was like a whirlwind when we first bought him home. The couple who adopted him before us took him back to the shelter after just 2 hours :eek: so I don’t even count them.

But with patience and time he became my heart boy. Loyal, loving, my dearest friend.

My daughter and Max...

10D502AF-3BF0-4168-8B26-155CB6D9AB83.jpeg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Like Like x 2