1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Feeding Raw

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Snoops, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Snoops

Snoops Member

Hello

I am thinking of going Raw for Bella.
    Need some advice.

Understand with raw you can get raw food frozen packs.

My question is on bones. Let's say natures instinct lamb neck.
    Ok to give the dog the neck to chew, crunch and eat? Or are they not supposed to eat it but only gnaw it?

What other frozen bones good ? Also do I give frozen bones or thawed?

Thank you

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

It's been a while since we've fed raw but yes, you do/can give whole RAW bones - not cooked, boiled, smoked, or otherwise anything but raw.

We never intentionally froze bones but we would feed frozen chicken quarters with the bones in them (supposed to help slow down a fast eater). We did have an emergency surgery for a perforated intestine because of bone so be aware that it is not without it's risks. We fed only ground bone after that or supervised the gnawing of a pork shoulder bone.

If you can find lamb neck bones at your grocery store, they would probably be cheaper than the natural instincts, FYI.

There are quite a few folks who feed raw on here. They'll be more helpful as I'm a bit out of practice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Are you going with premise raw or are you wanting to formulate the diet yourself ?
    I formulate my diets myself and order from rawfeedingmiami.com lol just got 100 pounds of food delivered today.
    I know mine can and do crunch through lamb necks, turkey necks, pork necks, turkey wings, chicken feet, turkey tails, etc are all edible bones but bones are only ten percent of the diet. To much and they can get constipated or poop White is usually your indicator that they had to much bone.

Recreational bones that they gnaw on and clean their teeth on are more like
    Lamb trotter bones, lamb shanks, beef femurs, and beef back ribs. Any weight baring bones are recreational usually.

I personally don’t buy grind with ground in bone because it doesn’t sit well with my guys, other dogs that inhale their food I would go with grinds or hand feeding and holding it so they don’t trying to gulp it down.

You can feed anything frozen, I do if I want it to last longer. Mine prefer fish to be frozen for feeding lol don’t ask me why that’s just how they are.

Anyways hope this helped :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snoops

Snoops Member

Thanks. I take it premise raw means an all in one solution?
    If so I will start with that.

Yes it's gnaw bones I was thinking. Where the dog sit, chews and is absorbed for like 30-45 mins and getting a good all clean of teeth too

I gave Bella Lamb neck over 3 days. Today she got to the bone bit, and put it in her mouth and started crunching.
    I was worried she would choke. She didn't.
    Now I'm worried what if the bones she crunched cause tear in the stomach

Just a worrying old dad :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

What is the best fish to feed them?

• Like Like x 1
  6. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I like to feed smaller fish like smelt and sardines and thread herring. Less mercury.
    They do get salmon, mackerel and trout.
    I also like green lipped muscles :) great for the joints and a natural anti inflammatory:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Premade raw is what I feed. I find it way easier to deal with "ready to go" raw. It is frozen so you'll need freezer space unless you want to regularly repurchase. Bulk purchases are cheaper, it's even better if you can strike a cash deal with your provider.

Let me know how the lamb neck goes. I gave turkey neck and Kaiser loved it, I have a recent thread on here re this.

I, too, was worried about him swallowing it whole, but supervise the first few times to get an understanding of how your dog handles it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

• Like Like x 1