FCI World Championships in IGP

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
So the best of the best in IGP from all over the world compete next week in Czech Republic. I looked at the entry list and breeds and this is what I counted out:
Mals - 98
GSD - 54
Dobe - 2
Rott - 1
Dutch Shep - 1

I know the Mals have taken over the sport, but I'm surprised (no, I guess not really surprised) that the Dobermans and Rottweilers have dwindled to near nothing in representation of a sport they use to be very good at.

The last I heard, our own UDC Fall Classic - the Doberman IGP trials that happen along side the DPCA big show has just a sprinkling of entries.

😢

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I'm guessing it's sadly a mixture of things. You have to have natural ears and tail to compete, correct? It takes years of training to get to that level...dobermans health isn't the greatest for longevity. And lastly, Mals are just working machines with fur and bones. Like seeing the obedience ring flooded with golden retrievers or the agility ring with border collies...it's "easier" with those breeds and they win a lot. Still sad.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
You have to have natural ears and tail to compete, correct?
Yes, but since most of the countries that have a team have already banned it, that's not what's keeping them out of worlds. I'm assuming they just didn't have a Doberman that made the team. Hungary & Norway were the 2 countries sending a Dobe on their team. And the UDC doesn't have that excuse, everyone is welcome, ears, tails & all.

I do agree about the Mals. They are just insanely good and such extreme athletes. All the USA team has Mals. Here's the list if you're curious:

Basically I guess I'm just a bit sad to see the numbers. Truthfully though, I should find the past 5 -10 years and see if it's been about the same. I just stumbled across that link this morning and just assumed I'd find more Dobermans.

And may the best team win, no matter the breed!

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
It is tough to make a team, for instance, you go to nationals. Let’s say 60 dogs are entered, these are the top dogs in the country with some of the best professional trainers. Out of 60 dogs, maybe 3-4 are Dobermans, probably 30-40 will be Malinois ther rest will be GSD’s. Possibly a Rottie, giant Schnauzer but you get the picture. The odds of being on of the top 5-6 dogs to go to worlds is pretty low for breeds other than the GSD and the Mal’s.

I believe UDC Nationals only sends a team to the IDC championship and yes if you like cropped and docked you won’t be going. That is why the big show Blaze and I will always just be the DVG championship, The AWDF Chsmpionship and Doberman Nationals, we couldn’t go any farther regardless.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Yeah, I get it. Just sad to accept that there are so few WORLDWIDE that can make the grade now. I was thinking maybe 10% - 15 dogs - would be off breeds (not Mals or GSDs), but it's less than 3%.

I just see it as making it harder to preserve these old working lines in the off breeds. But perhaps fair enough if the best of them can only go so far. That's what trials are for is to test in that sport.

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
Yeah, I get it. Just sad to accept that there are so few WORLDWIDE that can make the grade now. I was thinking maybe 10% - 15 dogs - would be off breeds (not Mals or GSDs), but it's less than 3%.

I just see it as making it harder to preserve these old working lines in the off breeds. But perhaps fair enough if the best of them can only go so far. That's what trials are for is to test in that sport.
I think there are still many breeders breeding good working dogs, it is just people that want to compete on the world stage pick the breeds that are easier to get there. Not that there are Dobermans that are exceptional, just not enough people training them.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
That's a great way to look at it - thank you for your insight. As much of a handful as I have with my dog, I never want to see this spunk disappear from the breed, nor the (hahaha, young & brave) people who will take them on in future generations.