Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

[fci] Dobermann Breed Standard Changes On 1st Of January 2015

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by iceman, Sep 6, 2013.

1. iceman

iceman Active Member

Today it has been announced at the annual congress of the International Dobermann Clubs (IDC) that the Dobermann breed standard is definitely being changed on 1st of January 2015 banning cropping & docking.

From 1st of January 2015 no uncropped or/and docked dog will be permitted to compete at shows..
    Meaning only dogs cropped/docked before that date will be allowed to breed and register litters.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  2. BradysMom

BradysMom Hot Topics Subscriber

:scratch: Y?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

How sad for our breed - over 100 years of beauty and grace to be destoryed by AR folks who cold care less about breed standards. DPCA is fighting hard here to maintain our rights - What a sad day for IDC and for the Dobermans.

Last year DPCA sent a letter to Crufts telling them that since our breed was cropped and docked we would not be sending an qualifiying dobermans to Crufts to just have them DQ because they were cropped an docked. The Giant Schnauzer club also sent them a letter declining any invites. If we don't stand up for these dogs they will eventually be banned and destroyed everywhere. I always think of for whom the bell tolls ringing the end of our beautiuful, noble, electic dobermans with the look of eagles.

I so prayed that you would be able to hold the line over there.

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Terrible news... :( Hard to believe the IDC caved in on cropping and docking.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

:(

• Like Like x 3
  6. Asteria

Asteria Formerly Luca & Co Hot Topics Subscriber

Very upsetting. I hate to see that the standard is changing bc of AR as D4E mentioned.

I love the crop and dock look. Looks like my future plans of owning a female for conformation are being flushed. I'll still own a female, but she will be cropped and docked and therefore no conformation. I guess OB will continue to be our Avenue

How will this effect breeders here? If I want a quality breeder and they don't crop the litter bc of the new standard then I have to seek out a cropper and hope the breeder will allow me to take the puppy early enough (8wks) to get a crop done. Sigh.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Sad day for the Dobermann breed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. watson123

watson123 Active Member

very sad news for the breed!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh that's so sad... :(

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JerseyFirefighter

JerseyFirefighter Site Sponsor

Sad news but i believe there will still be plenty dobie purists who attempt to retain the traditional look of the breed. I wouldnt have mine any other way

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. FredC

FredC Guest

One more nail.. And wow is that a big one.. Our days are numbered here to no doubt.. :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow....

• Like Like x 2
  13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! :complain:

• Like Like x 2
  14. JerseyFirefighter

I know im pretty naive on the subject but who's to say a rather noticeable abstention from all activities pertaining to idc from prominent members of the community would make a statement? Or has the natural look gained that much foothold across the pond for this to be ineffective?

• Like Like x 1
  15. iceman

iceman Active Member

The request has been filed by Dobermann-Verein (German Dobermann club) and apparently they have all the right to change the standards of a breed which has originated from their country.

If they want the Dobermann to have uncropped ears & a tail then the Dobermann will have uncropped ears and a tail..
    It is their breed and they want it to look that way..simple as that....

Better get used to it people.......

• Like Like x 4
  16. JerseyFirefighter

Wow.. hadnt realized that they would be the final authority. Would this transcend to the akc as well I presume?

• Like Like x 1
  17. mOmoh

mOmoh New Member

sad to hear :(

• Like Like x 1
  18. FredC

FredC Guest

It certainly doesn't help our cause any..

• Like Like x 2
  19. DreamValley

DreamValley Well-Known Member

I have not found any published news online yet. Iceman can you refer to the source of your information?
    That's a big decision.... Many Eastern European breeders must be very concerned.
    The dog importing business from Europe to NA will be in jeopardy .

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FredC

FredC Guest

I was thinking about this to but if the breeder is still at least capable of getting their dogs cropped and can export a C/D doberman i have little doubt they would accommodate. I think possible the breeders may even now push harder to export their dogs to legal C/D countries?

• Like Like x 2