Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Fat -vs- Muscle

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by Panama, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

I have been trying to trim Diva down a little bit. She is almost 10 months, 22" at the withers (shoulder) and weighs 56.5 lbs (25.5 kg). She was right at 21.25" & 51 lbs (23.4 kg) a month ago. With her age & noticing she was getting a bit chunky, last month we started cutting out the mid-day meal and use just a 1/2 a handful of her food and work on obedience. We had so much rain Jan & early Feb she didn't get much exercise, but now, she's out and running at least 3x a day, 30-45 min each time.

In a nut shell: in 1 month, 30 less meals, A LOT more exercise, gained 1/2" & 5 1/2 lbs.

HOW?

January 20th
    1-20-20b.jpg

March 24th (she has rolls on her back legs when she sits)
    3-24-20b.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm guessing it's because she's growing and filling out but she doesn't look fat to me from that angle. What a beautiful girl!

3. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Fat bottom girls make the world go round. :D

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Panama

LOL, my husband said the same thing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Panama

I'll try to get a few of her standing up tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Yea hard to tell when they are sitting. She is adorable

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

She is gorgeous. I actually looked a little into Dalmatians when I saw some of your photos lol!

Definitely a visual difference in those two photos in terms of her general size. Can’t say anything more though with her sitting.

8. Panama

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, because we love this little girl and she is a great addition to our family... but not a breed I would recommend to very many.

Very very smart, but can be very head strong and stubborn (more stubborn then any Dobe I've ever had).

They shed CONSTANTLY. Their fur is almost like cat hair. Floats & clings to everything.

They need a lot of exercise and they will run until they have nothing left. (2-3x a day)

Like most medium to large breeds (never had small breeds, so can't speak on them), if they are not engaged in something fun or constructive and left to find something to do themselves......it will likely be destructive.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I have only had a hand full over the years in my classes. They can feel almost like velvet they are so soft. I will say not the easiest to train, they don’t seem to have a lot of drive when it comes to training, at least the ones I have met. Stubbornness is one way to put it I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lizbeli

Honestly, when I looked into the breed it didn’t take me too long to decide they weren’t for me. I will just have to admire them. They truly are beautiful dogs. My Jasper is enough energy and I am probably lucky that one hard workout a day is all it takes to keep him calm and happy in the house.

11. Panama

Diva is both toy & food driven. Actually considering trying some scent work with her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

A lot of dogs go into scent work to wear them out. The mental work is like a hard physical workout. I can do 2 five-minute sessions and I have a quiet dog (for a while, LOL).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Panama

Conformation wise, there are a few things I"m hoping will improve, but likely won't. There's always something else to
    try!

3-25-20c.jpg

3-25-20f.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  14. Lizbeli

She looks nice to me, but I’m no expert! Definitely wouldn’t call her overweight. Can you see that last rib? I think her white coat makes it difficult in photos.

15. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

She's a nice pet weight. Not bad but she could definitely get a little more fit and toned with age if you want. I see a little extra on her withers and waist that would probably come off with some work. She may be an easy keeper. Paige is just like that and I have to feed her so little or she gets chunky. Diva is adorable though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Panama

All withers and ass! LOL

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Hey some ladies would kill for that :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 6
  18. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree that she is one hunk of a bitch!! :rofl: Love that we can call girls a bitch!! :p:D:whistle: But she is gorgeous, really! Gosh, I love those spots!! She'd look so cool next to my Appys! I guess I could see the 'pet weight' thing. Shows may like a bit more lean, but I'd be happy with the way she is! She got a nice little body! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I wish I could find a photo I had/have when I lived at the ranch where they bred Apps. They had 3 Dalmatians and I had mine there so when they went out by the horses it was a pretty cool sight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow x 1