FastCat

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
These collars are made to be pulled on without hurting their neck and easy to release - at the start just let go of the correctly folded line and the collar drops off and they run naked. You can't (and shouldn't) run in something like a handle collar in case it got hung up on something. Field should be clear, but take no chances. They even told us if you have tags on a flat collar to tape them down or take them off.

edit to add the link: Ready to Ship Quick Release Leads - Coursing Slips - Snuffles & Tugs

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Her toes were on the legal line, she couldn't have her feet any further back without being illegal.
? I'm not sure I understand. When I went, there was an area about 10' x 10' and the start line was at the edge of it. We could release the dog a few feet further back from the start line, just not in front of it. They did warn us not to let the dogs feet go over the start line before releasing, so I know what you are saying about illegal start. I'm suggesting backing up a couple of feet to let her get a stride or two in before she hits the barrier that starts the timer to add another fraction of seconds to her speed.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
? I'm not sure I understand. When I went, there was an area about 10' x 10' and the start line was at the edge of it. We could release the dog a few feet further back from the start line, just not in front of it. They did warn us not to let the dogs feet go over the start line before releasing, so I know what you are saying about illegal start. I'm suggesting backing up a couple of feet to let her get a stride or two in before she hits the barrier that starts the timer to add another fraction of seconds to her speed.

That was not what the judge told us! There were two lines for the 10ft box, the first line is where the digital timer was, when they cross that it starts the time. The second line is the back of the box, their front paws had to be on the line in order to be "in the box". They could be further inside the box. Everyone started on that back line. The blind steward recommended me to barely have her on that second line to give her every inch to get started and the judge would look really close and wait until those front paws were on or over the second line before saying tally ho. If they were behind the second line she would wait and tell me to inch a little further.

LifeofRubie

hmmm I think you're both saying the same thing!

So the 10x10 area is the start box and you can go as far back as the 1st line but your dogs toes need to be at least on that line. Then they get the full running head-start by the time they trigger the clock.

1631541405679.png

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I wanted to be sure since we are new to this. Like I didn't know we couldn't run in martingale collars either since that used to be allowed in CATs but the judge was kind enough to let me know. ๐Ÿ˜Œ

Screenshot_20210913-095809.png

Yep what @LifeofRubie posted. I had her front toes on the second line. But there was extra space where the judge and gate person stood but that wasn't legal space to move your dog back to. She was as far back as she could go.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I've only been to 3 Fast Cats, 2 with Asha and one with Reckless before Asha was born, none of them made us put paws ON a line. In @LifeofRubie's illustration we could be anywhere in the yellow box - further back toward blue would be better for time.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I've only been to 3 Fast Cats, 2 with Asha and one with Reckless before Asha was born, none of them made us put paws ON a line. In @LifeofRubie's illustration we could be anywhere in the yellow box - further back toward blue would be better for time.
I think we are saying the same thing this entire time haha. Literally everyone there was as far back as they could be in the yellow box to get that better time, so the judge had to make sure you were actually in the box, thus checking for front paws on that line that marks the back of the yellow box. ๐Ÿ˜ I mean, we could have been way over the line too if we wanted but that would have lost those slivers of seconds! You could easily tell where everyone started by the soft dirt and dug out spot on the line lol!

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I think you're both saying the same thing!
:rofl: I think you're right.

I'm still trying to learn. I guess different clubs will have different set ups & instructions... I was thinking @Rits was saying she had to have front paws on the line that would be the edge of your yellow/green, not the yellow/blue, is why I suggested she back up. Oh dear, no wonder the internet has so many misunderstandings! I'm sorry @Rits I was just picturing in my head the wrong thing from what you were saying. My bad.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
:rofl: I think you're right.

I'm still trying to learn. I guess different clubs will have different set ups & instructions... I was thinking @Rits was saying she had to have front paws on the line that would be the edge of your yellow/green, not the yellow/blue, is why I suggested she back up. Oh dear, no wonder the internet has so many misunderstandings! I'm sorry @Rits I was just picturing in my head the wrong thing from what you were saying. My bad.
Even when we speak the same language we can confuse each other LOL. Hey it's no problem at all!!! It's great we did talk about it cause these rules can be finicky! I guess it was super confusing to begin with because the judge was already telling me how to gain an advantage for my first time ๐Ÿ˜…

LifeofRubie

Even when we speak the same language we can confuse each other LOL. Hey it's no problem at all!!! It's great we did talk about it cause these rules can be finicky! I guess it was super confusing to begin with because the judge was already telling me how to gain an advantage for my first time ๐Ÿ˜…

We saw a lot of first timers at the last trial we went to so I think they're just used to asking "have you run before?!" and being gentle with newbies.

The trick for catching is to start close to the finished line as your dog is released and as they get closer, start running backwards to keep their momentum up! The gate guy at the end loved giving new people the "speech" about how to keep your dog going as fast as possible for as long as possible!

Skb

Hot Topics Subscriber
Nothing like a pit stop on the way to and back from a wedding ๐ŸคฃI saw there was a Fast Cat not that far out of the way on our 5 hour drive to Ohio and they were accepting day of show, sweet!

Saturday she ran 24.37 and then 24.5 mph. Today she beat her personal best both runs with a new personal best of 24.87! Not bad for this little pony's first time!! ๐ŸŽ

She's never ran so fast in her life LOL. She yipped and barked the whole way. I think she wasted a lot of energy waiting in the blind as DOS kept getting pushed back for people that had a time slot but they were also pretty late. ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ It took all my might to walk her (she's on two legs at this point) to the start line. I swear I need cleats. ๐Ÿ˜‚ It was nicer releasing her today though. She went down on her front legs, front paws on the line and leaned back on her rear legs, coiled and ready to go like a marathon sprinter. The gate ladies complimented that it was a nice launch!

Jogged her around after and hot walked her... She decided the pic spot looked like a really nice place to lay down ๐Ÿ˜Œ

View attachment 121239

Saturday first time seeing the lure zip by... And this is what she wasted a lot of energy on today ๐Ÿ™„ I will definitely be getting a wider collar for her for this!
Ripley is like that popular kid in high school who is the star athlete, good looking, great at everything they do, and a nice person so you can't hate them!! Lol

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
That one of Rubie is hilarious hahaha.

I limited myself to 3 but only liked 2 of them. Got plenty more events in our future for more ๐Ÿ˜ I like that she's off the ground entirely in both showing off that double suspension in Dobermans. And two different expressions in each. One a goofy ass grin and two super determined head down.

i-37hpXdp-X4.jpg

i-J5FpsCT-X4.jpg