Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Eye Boogers

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by RexsMom, May 19, 2020.

1. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

As of the past week I've noticed Rex has been producing a lot of eye boogers. I'm wiping big ones out of each eye about 3 times a day. They look just like the regular sleepy boogers, no smell, he doesn't seem to be itching at them, & his eyes aren't red or puffy.

I'm trying to stay away from Google so that I don't freak myself out & see some answers that freak me out. But I also don't want to take him to the vet during these times for something that is a mild concern (starting to grow though).

I've heard that dogs can produce a lot of boogers from allergies, and the weeds & flowers are starting to really pop up around here. Hopefully it's just that. Also like I said above, it's both eyes, so I'm not sure if eye infections usually just occur in one?

Please let me know if your Dobie has allergies with this happening or had a similar experience. What was the cause & what did you do? Thank you!

2. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I think if Rex is not itching or scratching or otherwise uncomfortable, it's just normal eye boogers.

3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It's probably just that. Buddy has had a few recently too. If there's no other problems, I'd say it's all the crap in the air LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Usually after a good dirty nose ball session, yes. Eye buggers.

5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I is probably just allergies my dogs get them worse different times if the year.

6. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

If we haven't had much rain (which hasn't been an issue lately) and the yard is real dry, both Joker and Echo get awful eye boogers.

7. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Jasper gets little boogers too. I think most dogs would. I think I read somewhere too that you should try not to wipe them off with your fingers. Use a cold damp soft cloth. I found this keeps them away a little longer.

8. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Normal if their white in color. Most likely allergies. Both my dogs get them. Been adding local honey to their meals and it’s helped a little along with a vitamin c booster. If they get really bad on some days you can give him a Zyrtec. I do that for my dog Rex every so often when the pollen count is high.

9. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Mine have it all the time but it’s from all the dust in the air and the dust from the screenings of coral rock.

We started them on an antibiotic first for conjunctivitis. It cleared up with that as long as I kept it in their eyes twice a day. Now I use a saline Opthalmic flush to wash the eyes and apply a Pura lube to keep in their eyes. It has reduced the discharge a lot.
    Most likely it is the environment causing it along with pollen and dust.

10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Ours definitely get more when the pollen and dust is high. Otherwise it's not very often.