Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Exercises for osteoarthritis along spine

Discussion in 'Senior Dobermans' started by Saskdobie, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Saskdobie

Saskdobie New Member

My Kascha just turned 12 this spring. We actually started accupuncture with her last fall because her spine has become increasingly more hunched and less flexible and her back legs have been getting less steady. We had a brutal winter here in southern Saskatchewan and by February she had actually slipped down the last few stairs heading for the main floor a couple of times. About a month ago she was referred to a local holistic vet who specializes in mobility issues. Her first session included massage, accupuncture and a laser therapy session. She also now has some daily stretching/strengthening exercises that have made a huge difference. The vet has also recommended a transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) unit (TENS unit: Benefits, side effects, and researchTENS unit: Benefits, side effects, and research) and I was wondering if anyone else had invested in one and what results they had seen.

I also came across a product yesterday called Dog Pain Away (Description of Ingredients - Home). Anyone have any experiences with this product? She's been on Ubasport glucosamine supplements for about 6 years.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 4
  2. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I have no personal experience with anything like this. Just wanted to wish you luck. I hope that you find something else that can help.

Has your vet mentioned CBD oil? Not sure if the benefits will help your particular case or has been tested for this. But it is something id check out you never know.

12yrs old? Thats awesome <3

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Saskdobie

Saskdobie New Member

She's a pretty cool little animal. She completely held her own with the new used Doberman (Lois) we acquired in November by knowing her people inside and out and completely manipulating us. She's also been great for modeling civilized doberman behavior for Lois. They've been slowly getting more friendly and I think she's the first canine friend Lois has had in a very long time. It's just unfortunate that I'm not sure how much longer she'll be with us.

I'll check with my vet whether CBD oil is something she's comfortable/familiar with and what dosages we might want to try. Thank you!

4. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Just a tip too- some vets may not recommend CBD oil just because there may not be solid evidence/testing. Id also look into online research from multiple resources. My past dog had terrible grand mal seizures and the vet didn’t recommend CBD but it seems that it is very helpful. I really wished I tried it before he passed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I agree that typical vets won’t recommend this because it’s so new to the pet world. Tried and tested on humans is good enough for me with regards to this oil. Do your own research so you can at least know whether you like the idea of it. Good luck with your dog - it is reassuring to hear of a Dobe that age.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Saskdobie

Saskdobie New Member

You can't always go by what is good for humans with canines. For instance, chocolate and grapes aren't deadly to most humans. Also my search on NSAIDs started because I had some Voltaren in the medicine cabinet that I thought might help Kascha's leg, but when I went online to double check before I used it, a number of websites stated that it was harmful for dogs and especially for cats. So I'll do my research before I try it.