English or German or either?

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Someone told me that if you used German commands in IGP, you had to use ALL your commands in German. Same with English. You couldn't mix them. Like if you used the word "heel" you had to use the word "down" not "Platz". Is this true? I can't seem to find that as a rule.

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
Someone told me that if you used German commands in IGP, you had to use ALL your commands in German. Same with English. You couldn't mix them. Like if you used the word "heel" you had to use the word "down" not "Platz". Is this true? I can't seem to find that as a rule.
You have to use the same command but not the same language. So if you use the word heel, you must always say heel, you can’t say heel one exercise then fuse on another. You can use Fuse for heel but still say down for your down command. But to me if you are going to use German just use all German, English then use All English. I have people that use English and others that use German, French and even Czech. Just be consistent.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
OK, thanks. I'm in on German for all formal training, including the AKC stuff. I use English for around the house, informally like "go lay down".

obbanner

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
I'd like to add that being consistent and using only one word is best for the dog's performance. I'm going through a problem now transitioning AJ from one command word to a different word. When he was a puppy, I taught him to heel backwards by saying BACK. Then BACK was used to get him to stand from a sit in heel position. I was trying to get him to stand when I say STAND instead of BACK. But sometimes it overloads his brain and he shuts down. So I'm going to stick with BACK whenever I need to give a command to stand and no longer use the STAND command.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Agree, @obbanner, I'm consistent with the commands in training, and somehow Asha knows that "lay down" in the house is the same physical thing, but not like "Platz" in obedience. I have used "Stay" for a command when learning AKC obedience, but it seems like in IGP there is no 2nd command for staying put, just assume the position until told otherwise? And I found that German "Steh" means "stand", so, uh-oh. I taught "stand" to stand on all 4 from a sit or a down. I don't think the stand is used in IGP until the stand in motion in IGP3, and I won't have to worry myself with that for a loooonnnnnggg time, if ever LOL. And in fun play (nothing formal) I've used the word "jump", and need to change that to "hopp" before I formalize jump training! But I did want to clarify my above question so I can start paying attention to my commands so I don't run into what you just described with AJ.

If anyone wants to see in detail what @Doberman Gang has accomplished achieving IGP3 with Blaze - here is the most detailed form I've found that is easy to read and understand, I knew it was hard, but detailed out like this really makes one amazed how these dogs & their trainers.

Quick Reference Guide to the New IGP (formerly IPO/Schutzhund) rules