Emotional Doberman help?

Lament

Novitiate
Good day everyone,
Greeting out of South Africa Gauteng :)

Let me start of by saying, apologies for any spelling mistakes or weird sentences, English is my second language.

I'm the proud owner of a female Doberman. She is +- 2 years old and she is the point of my heart. I cannot describe how much I love her. She sleeps indoors, has her own bed, hundreds of toys and only eats meat. She is spoiled rotten.

I had a chow which I had to put down +- 2 weeks ago. The chow was +- 11 years old. He was not an inside dog and generally the Doberman and Chow did not really like each other.
This weekend the Doberman started crying uncontrollably. She walks around with 4 toys and she keeps on crying. She even sleeps with them now. Normally when its time to eat she would wait for me at the stove. The past weekend she did not even want to eat. Its the fiorst time since I have had her that she did not finish her food yesterday. All she wants to do is be with her toys and cry.

I have not had her fixed yet, I know I have to do this and it's on my "To do" list. I'm just scared once I have her fixed she loses her silliness. She is such a clown and she has this "puppyness" still in her and I don't want her to lose that. But I will have her fixed non the less.
The reason I mention the above is I can only attribute her behavior to 1 or 2 things.
1. She wants a puppy or puppies. She was on heat +- 2 months ago so she is definitely not on heat at the moment. I have had many dogs before and I have never seen this behavior before though. But the fact is she walks around with her toys the entire day and she lays with them, and she wants to bite other dogs which comes close to her toys (My parents comes to visit with their dogs, and NEVER has she tried to bite them, this weekend was the 1st time) lets me to believe she wants puppies. She is also in my cupboards.
Maybe she is going through puberty?

2. The second thing I think might be wrong is, she is missing/mourning the Chow.

PS. The Chow was fixed. My parents have a few dogs that come to visit. There is a miniature Dachshund which is the only one which is not fixed. But he can't reach when she is in heat, he has tried many many times. So I'm 99.99% confident she is not pregnant.
The Dachshund is also her best friend. Which she also wanted to bite this weekend.

So my real question is probably, Has anyone gone through anything like this before? Will it pass? Do I have to take her to the vet?

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
This is typical false pregnancy your dog is going through. In heat 2 months ago means it is right about now the puppies would be born if she had been bred. The false pregnancy almost always is exactly the days of a real pregnancy. It may sound mean, but take all her toys away and don't let her nest with them. Some bitches will become defensive of the toys and it is best to discourage it. She may get swelling in her teats and even make milk, so best to stop it now. Keep her busy with training something new, and more physical exercise with you. If you do nothing, this behavior will end in another 2 months or so, about the time she would wean the imaginary puppies. You can be rest assured this has nothing to do with the Chow.

Panama

Hot Topics Subscriber
Greetings and welcome from Alabama, USA.

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Your girl could be exhibiting one OR both of the issues you mentioned.
Dogs can (and most often do) mourn the loss of a housemate. Seeing she just went through a heat cycle, she could very well be going through
false pregnancy. Two of my girls went through the carrying a few certain toys around constantly. Keeping them close when they were laying down, not letting anyone touch or take them. This usually happened 8-12 weeks after a heat cycle.

Best thing to do is take the toys away and hide them for a while. Do some basic training to keep her busy and her mind occupied.

Lament

Novitiate
This is typical false pregnancy your dog is going through. In heat 2 months ago means it is right about now the puppies would be born if she had been bred. The false pregnancy almost always is exactly the days of a real pregnancy. It may sound mean, but take all her toys away and don't let her nest with them. Some bitches will become defensive of the toys and it is best to discourage it. She may get swelling in her teats and even make milk, so best to stop it now. Keep her busy with training something new, and more physical exercise with you. If you do nothing, this behavior will end in another 2 months or so, about the time she would wean the imaginary puppies. You can be rest assured this has nothing to do with the Chow.
Thank you very much!!

Yip its definitely that then :D
I do take away her ducks (Yes, its rubber ducks) at night, and it breaks my heart to see her crying for them, so the mornings I just give her the toys back again. But will take them away tonight.
Her crying does get a little much when its sleep time.

Lament

Novitiate
Greetings and welcome from Alabama, USA.

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Your girl could be exhibiting one OR both of the issues you mentioned.
Dogs can (and most often do) mourn the loss of a housemate. Seeing she just went through a heat cycle, she could very well be going through
false pregnancy. Two of my girls went through the carrying a few certain toys around constantly. Keeping them close when they were laying down, not letting anyone touch or take them. This usually happened 8-12 weeks after a heat cycle.

Best thing to do is take the toys away and hide them for a while. Do some basic training to keep her busy and her mind occupied.
Thank you very much for the advice. Its advice I'm going to be taking :D