1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Effect of vanilla

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Balakumar, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Balakumar

Balakumar Jr Member

Hello, I read somewhere that giving vanilla ice cream is good for dogs. What is the effect of vanilla on dogs?

2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hm, I can’t see any benefits of feeding a dog vanilla ice cream. The sugar would be my biggest concern. Also, some dogs are intolerant.

My girl enjoys the smallest lick of an ice cream every so often, which I see as harmless.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Vanilla ice cream good for dogs? Never heard that. I do know the vanilla bean has lots of health benefits for humans but I am unaware of any for dogs. I agree with @Viemarangelrock many dogs are intolerant and there is way too much sugar in ice cream to make it good for anyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I've seen people give their dogs ice cream for their birthday, but the dogs nearly always end up with loose stools after. We also tried it last summer with a tiny amount and sure enough, we could see the affect on his stool.

5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Vanilla essential oils have a calming effect on dogs. Hydrosols are preferable since it’s the distillate from the plants and is a bit safer to use on animals.
    Lavender as well has a calming effect and repels insects as well as a citrus oils.

If you plan on allowing your dog to ingest essential oils I would definitely do your research because some oils can be toxic.
    Pure essential oils from a reputable manufacturer is what you should look for. They are not cheap but they are pure. Less expensive ones have contaminants in them. It takes very little essential oil mixed with 80-90% carrier oil, I use virgin coconut oil and purified water.
    As far as feeding vanilla ice cream, I wouldn’t do it as there are sugars (some artificial and dangerous to pets) and other ingredients you would not want to give your dog. They lack the proper gut enzymes to break down lactose which will result in stomach upset and loose stools. Freeze plain (no added ingredients) yogurt to give them as a treat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Kaiser's list keeps growing :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3